The smart way to improve grades

Comprehensive & curriculum aligned

Affordable pricing from £10/month

Compare Two Monsters in Fiction: Frankenstein and Dracula

In this worksheet, students read an extracts from 'Frankenstein' and one from 'Dracula'. Then they make comparisons.

'Compare Two Monsters in Fiction: Frankenstein and Dracula' worksheet

Key stage:  KS 3

Curriculum topic:   Reading

Curriculum subtopic:   Make Critical Text Comparisons

Difficulty level:  

Worksheet Overview

QUESTION 1 of 10

Read below how Mary Shelley describes Frankenstein's Monster:

Text one

From Frankenstein

by Mary Shelley

How can I describe my emotions at this catastrophe...? His limbs were in proportion, and I had selected his features as beautiful. Beautiful! Great God! His yellow skin scarcely covered the work of muscles and arteries beneath; his hair was of a lustrous black, and flowing; his teeth of a pearly whiteness; but these luxuriances only formed a more horrid contrast with his watery eyes, that seemed almost of the same colour as the dun-white sockets in which they were set, his shrivelled complexion and straight black lips...

I beheld the wretch–the miserable monster whom I had created. He held up the curtain of the bed; and his eyes, if eyes they may be called, were fixed on me. His jaws opened, and he muttered some inarticulate sounds, while a grin wrinkled his cheeks. He might have spoken, but I did not hear; one hand was stretched out, seemingly to detain me, but I escaped and rushed downstairs. I took refuge in the courtyard belonging to the house which I inhabited, where I remained during the rest of the night, walking up and down in the greatest agitation, listening attentively, catching and fearing each sound as if it were to announce the approach of the demoniacal corpse to which I had so miserably given life.

Now read below how Bram Stoker describes Count Dracula:

Text two

From Dracula

by Bram Stoker

Within, stood a tall old man, clean shaven save for a long white moustache, and clad in black from head to foot, without a single speck of colour about him anywhere...

His face was a strong... His eyebrows were very massive, almost meeting over the nose, and with bushy hair that seemed to curl in its own profusion. The mouth, so far as I could see it under the heavy moustache, was fixed and rather cruel-looking, with peculiarly sharp white teeth... For the rest, his ears were pale, and at the tops extremely pointed. The chin was broad and strong, and the cheeks firm though thin. The general effect was one of extraordinary pallor.

...Strange to say, there were hairs in the centre of the palm. The nails were long and fine, and cut to a sharp point. As the Count leaned over me and his hands touched me, I could not repress a shudder. It may have been that his breath was rank, but a horrible feeling of nausea came over me, which, do what I would, I could not conceal.

Next, we will go through some questions comparing the two texts. If you need to look at the texts again, you can do so by clicking on the Help button.

In text one (Frankenstein) Shelley uses lots of adjectives to describe the monster. Which colours does she use?

Tick three boxes.

green

yellow

black

white

red

In text two (Dracula) Stoker describes Count Dracula as looking quite strange. Which of the following are true statements about Dracula?

Tick three boxes.

sharp white teeth

garlic around his neck

fangs with blood on

hair on his palms

pointy ears

Imagine that you had to compare these two texts. You want to write a paragraph comparing them using this quotation from text one (Frankenstein): "a grin wrinkled his cheeks".

Which of the following quotations from text two (Dracula) would you choose to compare it with?

His eyebrows were very massive

The mouth...was fixed and rather cruel-looking.

The nails were long and fine

Imagine that you had to compare these two texts. You want to write a paragraph comparing them using this quotation from text two (Dracula): "his hands touched me, I could not repress (stop) a shudder".

Which of the following quotations from text one (Frankenstein) would you choose to compare it with?

walking up and down in the greatest agitation

catching and fearing each sound

one hand was stretched out, seemingly to detain me

At the beginning of her second paragraph in text one (Frankenstein), Shelley uses alliteration of the letter 'm' to describe the creature. What does she call him? 

Compare the physical appearance of the two monsters.

Text 1 Frankensteins MonsterText 2 Dracula
pearly white teeth
sharp teeth
long white moustache
flowing black hair
shrivelled complexion
strong face
very pale skin
yellow skin

How do the two narrators react to meeting the monsters?

Column A

Column B

Frankenstein (text one)
felt sick
Dracula (text two)
ran out of the house

When writing essays about what we have read, we get more marks for being able to pick out key words from a quotation and explore them in more depth. Read this student's work and fill the missing word in the text box below:

Stoker describes the count in a negative way: "the mouth... was fixed and rather cruel-looking". The use of the word "__________" here suggests a greater threat, so the reader begins to expect danger from him.

When writing essays about what we have read, we get more marks for being able to pick out key words from a quotation and explore them in more depth. Read this student's work and fill the missing word in the text box below:

Shelley describes the first few moments of the narrator with the monster: "His jaws opened... while a grin wrinkled his cheeks". The word "______" could be taken in two ways; either that he is happy to see the narrator, or that he is thinking twisted and evil thoughts.

Read this essay question: Compare the creatures from Frankenstein and Dracula. Which is more threatening and why?

Which student - A or B - will get the best marks for the beginning of their answer?

A: Frankenstein is more threatening because he makes the narrator run away, Dracula only makes the narrator feel sick. Also, the description of him is more like a monster, not just an old man.

B: Both creatures are threatening, but in different ways. Overall, I think that Dracula is more threatening as the narrator describes many positives about him: "strong", "tall", etc. and he doesn't escape. This might mean that he trusts him, which is worse than running away, like the narrator does in Frankenstein.

A

B

• Question 1

In text one (Frankenstein) Shelley uses lots of adjectives to describe the monster. Which colours does she use?

Tick three boxes.

CORRECT ANSWER
yellow
black
white
EDDIE SAYS
Shelley describes the monster's "yellow skin", his "lustrous black" hair and his "teeth of a pearly whiteness".
  • Question 2

In text two (Dracula) Stoker describes Count Dracula as looking quite strange. Which of the following are true statements about Dracula?

Tick three boxes.

CORRECT ANSWER
sharp white teeth
hair on his palms
pointy ears
EDDIE SAYS
Stoker describes Dracula's "peculiarly sharp white teeth", his pale ears which "at the tops extremely pointed" and the hair on his hands, stating: "Strange to say, there were hairs in the centre of the palm".
  • Question 3

Imagine that you had to compare these two texts. You want to write a paragraph comparing them using this quotation from text one (Frankenstein): "a grin wrinkled his cheeks".

Which of the following quotations from text two (Dracula) would you choose to compare it with?

CORRECT ANSWER
The mouth...was fixed and rather cruel-looking.
EDDIE SAYS
The quotation about the mouth is the best one to use as the quotation from Frankenstein is also about the monster's mouth.
  • Question 4

Imagine that you had to compare these two texts. You want to write a paragraph comparing them using this quotation from text two (Dracula): "his hands touched me, I could not repress (stop) a shudder".

Which of the following quotations from text one (Frankenstein) would you choose to compare it with?

CORRECT ANSWER
one hand was stretched out, seemingly to detain me
EDDIE SAYS
The quotation about the had is the best one to use as the Dracula quotation is also about the monster's hands.
  • Question 5

At the beginning of her second paragraph in text one (Frankenstein), Shelley uses alliteration of the letter 'm' to describe the creature. What does she call him? 

CORRECT ANSWER
miserable monster
EDDIE SAYS
Shelley refers to the monster as "the wretch - the miserable monster".
  • Question 6

Compare the physical appearance of the two monsters.

CORRECT ANSWER
 Text 1 Frankensteins MonsterText 2 Dracula
pearly white teeth
sharp teeth
long white moustache
flowing black hair
shrivelled complexion
strong face
very pale skin
yellow skin
  • Question 7

How do the two narrators react to meeting the monsters?

CORRECT ANSWER

Column A

Column B

Frankenstein (text one)
ran out of the house
Dracula (text two)
felt sick
EDDIE SAYS
In the first text, the narrator "escaped and rushed downstairs". He then stayed in the courtyard outside for the rest of the night "walking up and down in the greatest agitation".
In the second text, the narrator describes how "a horrible feeling of nausea came over [him]", which he says could have been caused by the "rank" breath of the monster.
  • Question 8

Stoker describes the count in a negative way: "the mouth... was fixed and rather cruel-looking". The use of the word "__________" here suggests a greater threat, so the reader begins to expect danger from him.

CORRECT ANSWER
cruel
cruel-looking
cruel - looking
EDDIE SAYS
The use of the word "cruel" (or "cruel-looking") suggests that the monster in text two is not just scary but may also cause harm or suffering to the narrator at some point.
  • Question 9

Shelley describes the first few moments of the narrator with the monster: "His jaws opened... while a grin wrinkled his cheeks". The word "______" could be taken in two ways; either that he is happy to see the narrator, or that he is thinking twisted and evil thoughts.

CORRECT ANSWER
grin
EDDIE SAYS
The word 'grin' here can be interpreted in different ways: either as a smile, to show that he is happy to see the man who created him; or as a sneer, suggesting that he is thinking horrible thoughts of harming the narrator.
  • Question 10

Read this essay question: Compare the creatures from Frankenstein and Dracula. Which is more threatening and why?

Which student - A or B - will get the best marks for the beginning of their answer?

A: Frankenstein is more threatening because he makes the narrator run away, Dracula only makes the narrator feel sick. Also, the description of him is more like a monster, not just an old man.

B: Both creatures are threatening, but in different ways. Overall, I think that Dracula is more threatening as the narrator describes many positives about him: "strong", "tall", etc. and he doesn't escape. This might mean that he trusts him, which is worse than running away, like the narrator does in Frankenstein.

CORRECT ANSWER
B
EDDIE SAYS
B will get more marks as he or she uses more sophisticated language, sees both sides of the argument and includes quotations.
---- OR ----

Sign up for a £1 trial so you can track and measure your child's progress on this activity.

What is EdPlace?

We're your National Curriculum aligned online education content provider helping each child succeed in English, maths and science from year 1 to GCSE. With an EdPlace account you’ll be able to track and measure progress, helping each child achieve their best. We build confidence and attainment by personalising each child’s learning at a level that suits them.

Get started
laptop

Start your £1 trial today.
Subscribe from £10/month.