The smart way to improve grades

Comprehensive & curriculum aligned

Affordable pricing from £10/month

Write to Describe A Special Place

In this worksheet, students will revise some of the features of descriptive writing then plan and write a description of a place that is special to them.

'Write to Describe A Special Place ' worksheet

Key stage:  KS 3

Curriculum topic:   Writing

Curriculum subtopic:   Develop Awareness of Literary and Rhetorical Devices

Difficulty level:  

Worksheet Overview

QUESTION 1 of 10

In this activity, you will practise descriptive writing.

You will revise the key features of descriptive writing then plan and write an extended piece that describes a place that is special to you.

First, let's revise the key features of descriptive writing.

Match the linguistic devices below to the correct example which uses each.

Column A

Column B

Uses a range of interesting adjectives
'The pale, full moon shone over the racing, angry ...
Uses metaphor to describe something
'The grey sea was a dog, biting chunks out of the ...
Uses adverbs to tell the reader how something is d...
'The smell of the sea filled the beach, mingling w...
Uses simile to compare something to something else...
'The seagull screeched. Silence. In the light of t...
Uses onomatopoeia to help describe sounds
'The dog walked slowly and unsteadily down the bea...
Uses alliteration to create an impact
'The forgotten sandwich wrappers blew down the bea...
Uses a range of sentence structures - try to mix l...
'The waves smashed onto the shore as a seagull scr...
Uses the five senses
'The dreary, desolate, depressing beach'

Match each descriptive technique to its definition or effect.

Column A

Column B

Variety of sentence lengths
Long and short sentences to build mood, atmosphere...
Five senses
Descriptions of touch, sound, sight, smell and tas...
Adjective
Adds emphasis to a noun
Metaphor
A word that phonetically sounds like the sound tha...
Simile
A figure of speech that directly refers to one thi...
Alliteration
The intentional repetition of identical consonant ...
Adverb
A figure of speech that likens two things using "l...
Onomatopoeia
A word or expression that modifies a verb

You are going to plan a piece of writing, describing a place that is special to you.

You may wish to base it on the five senses, adding words and phrases that use some of the descriptive techniques we've discussed. 

Try to use a mind map or bullet points.

A suggested plan for a 5 paragraph response could be:

Paragraph 1: Describe the setting.

Paragraph 2: Describe a character there (this could be you or someone else).

Paragraph 3: Describe what is happening.

Paragraph 4: Introduce a second character.

Paragraph 5: Describe what happens between them.

Spend no more than 10 minutes on this plan.

It's time for you to write a descriptive piece (10 marks).

You should do this under exam conditions and it should take no more than 40 minutes. 

Remember all the descriptive techniques we have revised. The more you can use, the better your mark will be.

You can refer to your plan by pressing the 'Previous' button to go back.

If you want to, you can use these sentence starters to help you:

- Heat radiated off the sand and...

- My life back home was always...

- Going in search of some food, I...

- As I looked around, I noticed...

- Walking together, we...

Planning is an important part of the process of writing.

Can you identify the reasons for planning from the options below?

Hint: there are three

You can get extra marks for it

It's really fun

It helps to organise your thoughts

It helps your writing to have a clear direction

You can write down vocabulary and techniques you want to use so you that don't forget them

Proofreading is a vital skill to develop, to ensure you are catching any mistakes you may have made before the examiners mark your work.

There are four main types of errors you should look for: spellings, use of capital letters, punctuation errors and tense errors.

Can you identify the errors in this paragraph?

the sea lapped gently on the hot stones and over my toes. I sigh a happy sigh. In the distance, the clock tower sounds, telling me it would soon be lunch time. My stomachs rumble confirmed the time, and I sat up to see what food could tempt me.

Can you identify the errors in the paragraph below?

Hint: there are four

'Walking through the front door, the smell of home engulfed me. I instantly relaxed. the comfort of a place I knew so well was enough to wash the stresses of the day away. Heading to the fridge, I already know what I would find; dad hadn't been shoping yet so a couple of eggs and some chese would have to do.'

Can you identify the errors in the following paragraph?

'Stacks and stacks of books lined the walls. The silence of the library was always so peaceful to me, but james said it was creepy. This place held so many fond memories. Mums job here meant that id walk here after school every day, and sit and watch her busying herself putting books away, dusting, helping people find the book they needed. This felt like home.'

When you are writing, try to avoid starting all of your sentences the same way, especially with words such as 'it', 'he' or 'the'.

There are lots of different ways to start your sentences. You could use effective nouns to start your sentences.

For example: 'Pillars stood either side of the door, welcoming me in.'

Can you fill in the blank at the beginning of the sentence with a noun?

'Stacks and stacks of books lined the walls. The silence of the library was always so peaceful to me, but james said it was creepy. This place held so many fond memories. Mums job here meant that id walk here after school every day, and sit and watch her busying herself putting books away, dusting, helping people find the book they needed. This felt like home.'

Using adverbs at the beginning of a sentence is a great way to add in extra information.

Can you identify the effective adverb in the sentence below?

• Question 1

First, let's revise the key features of descriptive writing.

Match the linguistic devices below to the correct example which uses each.

CORRECT ANSWER

Column A

Column B

Uses a range of interesting adjec...
'The pale, full moon shone over t...
Uses metaphor to describe somethi...
'The grey sea was a dog, biting c...
Uses adverbs to tell the reader h...
'The dog walked slowly and unstea...
Uses simile to compare something ...
'The forgotten sandwich wrappers ...
Uses onomatopoeia to help describ...
'The waves smashed onto the shore...
Uses alliteration to create an im...
'The dreary, desolate, depressing...
Uses a range of sentence structur...
'The seagull screeched. Silence. ...
Uses the five senses
'The smell of the sea filled the ...
EDDIE SAYS
If you didn't manage to match any of these correctly then take some time to look up the definitions for each of these devices now, before you start to develop your own writing. Perhaps take some time to create your own examples which use each of these devices.
  • Question 2

Match each descriptive technique to its definition or effect.

CORRECT ANSWER

Column A

Column B

Variety of sentence lengths
Long and short sentences to build...
Five senses
Descriptions of touch, sound, sig...
Adjective
Adds emphasis to a noun
Metaphor
A figure of speech that directly ...
Simile
A figure of speech that likens tw...
Alliteration
The intentional repetition of ide...
Adverb
A word or expression that modifie...
Onomatopoeia
A word that phonetically sounds l...
EDDIE SAYS
Any words you're unsure of write down with the definition next to it. This way you can build your own collection of new vocabulary.
  • Question 3

You are going to plan a piece of writing, describing a place that is special to you.

You may wish to base it on the five senses, adding words and phrases that use some of the descriptive techniques we've discussed. 

Try to use a mind map or bullet points.

A suggested plan for a 5 paragraph response could be:

Paragraph 1: Describe the setting.

Paragraph 2: Describe a character there (this could be you or someone else).

Paragraph 3: Describe what is happening.

Paragraph 4: Introduce a second character.

Paragraph 5: Describe what happens between them.

Spend no more than 10 minutes on this plan.

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
You're parent or guardian will check this for you! Let's push on.
  • Question 4

It's time for you to write a descriptive piece (10 marks).

You should do this under exam conditions and it should take no more than 40 minutes. 

Remember all the descriptive techniques we have revised. The more you can use, the better your mark will be.

You can refer to your plan by pressing the 'Previous' button to go back.

If you want to, you can use these sentence starters to help you:

- Heat radiated off the sand and...

- My life back home was always...

- Going in search of some food, I...

- As I looked around, I noticed...

- Walking together, we...

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
Model response: Heat radiated off the sand and surrounded me like a warm blanket. The squawk of seagulls high above my head slowly interrupted my thoughts, and the smell of sun cream tickled my nose. Heaven. My skin tingled from the sun's caress and I knew I never wanted to leave. My life back home was so busy and stressful. Coming here every summer was what I lived for. My usually pale skin took on a healthy glow, my limp hair suddenly shone, my eyes sparkled... This wasn't just a holiday, it was a transformation. Meanwhile, back home, life carried on as normal. There were bills to pay, errands to run. I was under no illusion that life stopped when I was here; I just wasn't at home to have to deal with it all. Going in search of some food, I strolled along the seafront. Suddenly, I heard my name being called. I froze. Who knew I was here? I turned slowly and groaned. The grinning face that was lumbering towards me was the last one I wanted to see. My boss! "Hi Joel," I managed to blurt out, with a meek smile on my face. "What are you doing here?" "Me? What are you doing here? I come here every year!" Great. This is supposed to be my special place. Is nothing sacred?
  • Question 5

Planning is an important part of the process of writing.

Can you identify the reasons for planning from the options below?

CORRECT ANSWER
It helps to organise your thoughts
It helps your writing to have a clear direction
You can write down vocabulary and techniques you want to use so you that don't forget them
EDDIE SAYS
Although you don't actually get extra marks for planning, it helps you to organise your ideas and write them down so you don't forget. This usually leads to more marks in the end as your writing is likely to flow better and have a clearer direction.
  • Question 6

Proofreading is a vital skill to develop, to ensure you are catching any mistakes you may have made before the examiners mark your work.

There are four main types of errors you should look for: spellings, use of capital letters, punctuation errors and tense errors.

Can you identify the errors in this paragraph?

CORRECT ANSWER
the sea lapped gently on the hot stones and over my toes. I sigh a happy sigh. In the distance, the clock tower sounds, telling me it would soon be lunch time. My stomachs rumble confirmed the time, and I sat up to see what food could tempt me.
EDDIE SAYS
Remember to always use a capital letter at the beginning of a sentence, and at the start of proper nouns. 'Sigh' and 'sounds' are in the present tense, but the rest of the passage is in the past tense, so these need to be corrected. There is an apostrophe missing from 'stomachs' as the rumble belongs to the stomach, so the apostrophe is needed to show this - 'stomach's'. So there were four errors in total, how many did you manage to spot?
  • Question 7

Can you identify the errors in the paragraph below?

Hint: there are four

CORRECT ANSWER
'Walking through the front door, the smell of home engulfed me. I instantly relaxed. the comfort of a place I knew so well was enough to wash the stresses of the day away. Heading to the fridge, I already know what I would find; dad hadn't been shoping yet so a couple of eggs and some chese would have to do.'
EDDIE SAYS
Remember to start each sentence with a capital letter. There is a tense error with the word 'know' as the rest of the paragraph is in the past tense. It should be 'knew'. 'Shoping' and 'chese' are both spelling errors and should be spelt 'shopping' and 'cheese'. Phew, that was a challenge!
  • Question 8

Can you identify the errors in the following paragraph?

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
Remember to use capital letters for proper nouns; that means the names of people and places always need capital letters. Apostrophes are used to show that something belongs to someone or to show that a letter is missing from a word. The job belongs to the mum, so 'mum' needs to have an apostrophe - 'mum's'. I'd is a substitution for the words 'I would' so it also needs an apostrophe to show there are missing letters.
  • Question 9

When you are writing, try to avoid starting all of your sentences the same way, especially with words such as 'it', 'he' or 'the'.

There are lots of different ways to start your sentences. You could use effective nouns to start your sentences.

For example: 'Pillars stood either side of the door, welcoming me in.'

Can you fill in the blank at the beginning of the sentence with a noun?

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
Make sure you don't put the word 'the' in front of your noun. The idea is to grab the reader's attention straight away with a more interesting word.
  • Question 10

Using adverbs at the beginning of a sentence is a great way to add in extra information.

Can you identify the effective adverb in the sentence below?

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
Remember to put a comma after the adverb in order to gain marks for correct punctuation.
Try it for free ---- OR ----

Sign up for a £1 trial so you can track and measure your child's progress on this activity.

What is EdPlace?

We're your National Curriculum aligned online education content provider helping each child succeed in English, maths and science from year 1 to GCSE. With an EdPlace account you’ll be able to track and measure progress, helping each child achieve their best. We build confidence and attainment by personalising each child’s learning at a level that suits them.

Get started
laptop

Start your £1 trial today.
Subscribe from £10/month.