The smart way to improve grades

Comprehensive & curriculum aligned

Affordable pricing from £10/month

Evaluate Key Quotes and Their Impact in 'Romeo and Juliet'

In this worksheet, students will evaluate the impact of key quotations by analysing the effect of Shakespeare's use of language, structure and dramatic devices and considering how quotations reflect the context in which the play was written.

'Evaluate Key Quotes and Their Impact in 'Romeo and Juliet'' worksheet

Key stage:  KS 4

GCSE Subjects:   English Literature

GCSE Boards:   Eduqas, OCR, Pearson Edexcel, AQA

Curriculum topic:   Shakespeare

Curriculum subtopic:   Romeo and Juliet

Difficulty level:  

Worksheet Overview

QUESTION 1 of 10

Romeo and Juliet on balcony

In the exam, you will need to able to support your ideas with quotations from the exam extract and from the play as a whole.

You should try to build a bank of quotations for each character and theme and learn these so that you can use them readily in your exam response.

For a higher mark in the exam, you should try to analyse quotations closely and evaluate their impact and consider how they reflect the key contextual factors surrounding the play.

The diagram below shows how we can analyse quotations for the highest marks in the exam:

''Methinks I see thee....As one dead in the bottom of a tomb"    arrow   Dramatic Irony and foreshadowing  arrow     The audience know that Juliet's vision will come true as Shakespeare has already told his audience about Romeo and Juliet's death in the prologue arrow    Shakespeare's intention was to explore the idea of fate reflecting the religious beliefs of the Elizabethan society he was writing in.

So, for each quotation you use, think about:

- what language/structural/dramatic devices has the writer used and what effect do these have?

- how do the quotations reflect something about the key contextual factors surrounding the play?

In this activity, we will practise evaluating the impact of quotations in this way.

You should always refer to your own text when working through these examples.  These quotations are for reference only.

Which explanation below considers the effect of the following quotation in terms of how it reflects the context in which Shakespeare was writing?

"disobedient wretch!"

Shakespeare portrays Lord Capulet as an aggressive and dominant character who expects his daughter to obey his orders

Shakespeare reflects the patriarchal Elizabethan society he was writing in by conveying the dominant Lord Capulet expecting his daughter to be submissive and obedient

For the highest marks in the exam, you need to choose short quotations to support your ideas and embed these within your sentences.

In the example below, a long quotation has been used and it is not embedded in a sentence.

Shakespeare creates a dramatic irony at the end of the play when Romeo suggests that Juliet's beauty still exists and death has not yet taken hold of her appearance. This is shown in: "Death, that hath suck'd the honey of thy breath, Hath had no power yet upon thy beauty. Thou art not conquer'd; beauty's ensign yet Is crimson in thy lips and in thy cheeks, And death's pale flag is not advanced there." 

This could be improved by just picking out a word or a few words from the sentence that best illustrate a point.

Complete the passage below to show which words could be picked out as shorter, more specific quotations to embed within the sentences.

You do not need to use quotation marks in the answer boxes.

Shakespeare portrays Lord Capulet as an aggressive and dominant character who expects his daughter to obey his orders

Shakespeare reflects the patriarchal Elizabethan society he was writing in by conveying the dominant Lord Capulet expecting his daughter to be submissive and obedient

It is now time to have a go at some extended writing, practising analysing quotations.

In the exam, you will have to analyse the presentation of character or themes in an extract from the play and then consider the play as a whole.

You should try to zoom in on key parts of a quotation and explore the connotations of words.

Remember for the highest marks, you should try to explore the techniques used by Shakespeare and evaluate their impact in presenting a character or theme and in reflecting something about the context in which he was writing.

Task: Open your text on Act 2, Scene 3, beginning with "Holy Saint Francis, what a change is here!" up until the end of this scene.

How is Friar Laurence portrayed in this extract?

Try to write two paragraphs.

Now have a go at the second part of the mini essay question.

Remember for the highest marks, you should try to explore the techniques used by Priestley and evaluate their impact in presenting a character or theme and in reflecting something about the context in which he was writing.

Task: How is Friar Laurence presented in the play as a whole?

Complete the passage analysing the quotation below:

"O calm, dishonourable, vile submission!"

What is suggested in the following quotation?

"And fire-eyed fury be my conduct now!"

Click on the most accurate analysis of writer's techniques and their effect and the consideration of contextual factors.

Shakespeare suggest that Romeo will continue to be submissive towards Tybalt

Shakespeare suggests a turning point in Romeo's attitude towards Tybalt. Shakespeare's use of personification to describe Romeo's anger as "fire-eyed" suggests that he is enraged by Tybalt killing Mercutio and that he will seek Tybalt's bloodshed as revenge. Shakespeare reflects the importance of family loyalty in this quotation

Shakespeare suggests that Romeo is extremely angry after the death of Tybalt

For the highest marks in the exam, it's also important to choose quotations carefully to support the point you wish to make.

Which of the quotations below best show that Juliet is level headed and rational?

"How if when I am laid into the tomb, I wake before the time that Romeo come to redeem me?"

"It is rash, too unadvised, too sudden"

"My bounty is as boundless as the sea, My love as deep"

What is the effect of the following quotations in reflecting the context in which Shakespeare was writing?

Match the quotations below to the explanation of its effect.

Column A

Column B

"O sweet Juliet, they beauty hath made me effemina...
Shakespeare uses dramatic irony to remind the audi...
"I dreamt my lady came and found me dead"
Shakespeare reflects the way in which stereoypical...
Shakespeare highlights the importance of family lo...
"I think she will be ruled in all respects by me"
Shakespeare reflects the partriarchal Elizabethan ...

What is the effect of Benvolio's quotation below?

"For now, these hot days, is the mad blood stirring"

Click on the most accurate analysis.

Benvolio describes how the weather is becoming unbearable

Shakespeare highlights how men's tempers are affected by the hot weather

Shakespeare uses the metaphor of "hot days" to convey the rising tension Benvolio feels in the atmosphere. His personification in "mad blood" also portrays the way that tempers are out of control and men are acting irrationally

Match the following quotations to the language/structure/dramatic devices that Shakespeare has used?

Foreshadowing and dramatic ironyMetaphorSimilePunOxymoronRhetorical question
'It seems she hangs upon the cheek of night Like a rich jewel in a Ethiope's ear'
'My grave is like to be my wedding bed'
'Thou know'st the mask of night is on my face'
'Beautiful tyrant!'
'How if...I wake before the time that Romeo come to redeem me?'
'Make it a word and a blow'
  • Question 1

Which explanation below considers the effect of the following quotation in terms of how it reflects the context in which Shakespeare was writing?

"disobedient wretch!"

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
Can you see how the second explanation links to context? The first explanation is perfectly accurate, but it just looks at the characteristics of Lord Capulet, without thinking about what it shows us about the context in which Shakespeare was writing. For the highest marks in the exam, try to link to context throughout your exam response. Here we're considering the idea of gender stereotypes in the patriarchal Elizabethan society that Shakespeare writes about.
  • Question 2

For the highest marks in the exam, you need to choose short quotations to support your ideas and embed these within your sentences.

In the example below, a long quotation has been used and it is not embedded in a sentence.

Shakespeare creates a dramatic irony at the end of the play when Romeo suggests that Juliet's beauty still exists and death has not yet taken hold of her appearance. This is shown in: "Death, that hath suck'd the honey of thy breath, Hath had no power yet upon thy beauty. Thou art not conquer'd; beauty's ensign yet Is crimson in thy lips and in thy cheeks, And death's pale flag is not advanced there." 

This could be improved by just picking out a word or a few words from the sentence that best illustrate a point.

Complete the passage below to show which words could be picked out as shorter, more specific quotations to embed within the sentences.

You do not need to use quotation marks in the answer boxes.

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
How did you do? This is a higher level skill and if you can master this, your exam responses will achieve much higher marks. Remember to zoom in on the parts of the quotations that really matter and leave the unnecessary parts out - your points will then be much better evidenced. Embedding these shorter quotations within your sentences will also create a more fluent and sophisticated writing style that will impress the examiners for the higher marks!
  • Question 3

It is now time to have a go at some extended writing, practising analysing quotations.

In the exam, you will have to analyse the presentation of character or themes in an extract from the play and then consider the play as a whole.

You should try to zoom in on key parts of a quotation and explore the connotations of words.

Remember for the highest marks, you should try to explore the techniques used by Shakespeare and evaluate their impact in presenting a character or theme and in reflecting something about the context in which he was writing.

Task: Open your text on Act 2, Scene 3, beginning with "Holy Saint Francis, what a change is here!" up until the end of this scene.

How is Friar Laurence portrayed in this extract?

Try to write two paragraphs.

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
A paragraph might look something like this: Shakespeare presents Friar Laurence as an honest and truthful friend to Romeo when he criticises his fickle change of heart from loving Rosaline to loving Juliet. His use of rhetorical question asking if Rosaline is "...so soon forsaken?" highlights his confusion over Romeo's changeable nature. In addition to this, his use of hyperbolic exclamations such as "what a deal of brine Hath wash'd thy sallow cheeks for Rosaline!" also serve to emphasise some of Romeo's character traits for the audience. Friar Laurence certainly presents him as very emotional here by highlighting how much he has cried over Rosaline. Shakespeare employs Friar Laurence to help challenge the Elizabethan gender assumptions at the time he was writing by suggesting that traditional feminine character traits such as being passionate and emotional are just as equally found in men like Romeo.
  • Question 4

Now have a go at the second part of the mini essay question.

Remember for the highest marks, you should try to explore the techniques used by Priestley and evaluate their impact in presenting a character or theme and in reflecting something about the context in which he was writing.

Task: How is Friar Laurence presented in the play as a whole?

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
A paragraph might look something like this: Shakespeare presents Friar Laurence as a hopeful schemer and a planner. Romeo and Juliet both go to the Friar for advice and support and he tries to solve their problems for them. When Juliet tells him she would rather die than marry Paris, we see his optimism when he says "I do spy a kind of hope". The detailed way in which he then describes how she will look in her appearance of death when her colour will "fade to paly ashes" and her body will be "stiff and stark and cold" is a little too realistic. Shakespeare creates dramatic irony here for the audience as we know that this description is unfortunately a very accurate description of her real death at the end of the play. The Friar's confidence in the plan therefore, when he lays out how he will let " Romeo, by my letters know our drift" just highlights his naivety for the audience. Shakespeare highlights the idea of fate through this use of dramatic irony, a belief held by his religious Elizabethan audiences, and therefore, the way in which Friar Laurence tries to work against fate and change the course of nature is shown to be problematic.
  • Question 5

Complete the passage analysing the quotation below:

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
Did you manage to fill all of the spaces? Notice how we've identified Shakespeare's use of techniques such as rule of three, dramatic irony and use of adjectives. We've also considered how the quotation reflects something about the context in which Shakespeare was writing. For the higher marks in the exam, it's important to do both of these things - what techniques are used, what are their effects and does language reflect context?
  • Question 6

What is suggested in the following quotation?

"And fire-eyed fury be my conduct now!"

Click on the most accurate analysis of writer's techniques and their effect and the consideration of contextual factors.

CORRECT ANSWER
Shakespeare suggests a turning point in Romeo's attitude towards Tybalt. Shakespeare's use of personification to describe Romeo's anger as "fire-eyed" suggests that he is enraged by Tybalt killing Mercutio and that he will seek Tybalt's bloodshed as revenge. Shakespeare reflects the importance of family loyalty in this quotation
EDDIE SAYS
How did you do? Whilst the third explanation is also accurate, it doesn't analyse Shakespeare's use of techniques. The second explanation comments on the use of personification and considers the effect of this technique. This is an important quotation because it marks a turning point in Romeo's loyalties. Previously he's held back from fighting with Tybalt in respect for Juliet, but his sense of loyalty to Mercutio won't allow him to hold back any longer. Context is considered when Romeo's quotation is linked to the value placed on family loyalty in Elizabethan England.
  • Question 7

For the highest marks in the exam, it's also important to choose quotations carefully to support the point you wish to make.

Which of the quotations below best show that Juliet is level headed and rational?

CORRECT ANSWER
"It is rash, too unadvised, too sudden"
EDDIE SAYS
This is a tricky one! How did you do? In the second explanation, Juliet expresses how she feels her relationship with Romeo has happened so quickly and she wants to slow things down a little. This best shows that she's level headed and rational because she doesn't get carried away by her emotions. However, she's not always so rational. She shows fear in the first quotation, fear that she will wake up in the Capulet tomb before Romeo arrives, whilst the third quotation conveys her passion for Romeo. For the highest marks in the exam, choose quotations carefully but also try to evaluate different aspects of a character, considering how they change and develop over the course of the play.
  • Question 8

What is the effect of the following quotations in reflecting the context in which Shakespeare was writing?

Match the quotations below to the explanation of its effect.

CORRECT ANSWER

Column A

Column B

"O sweet Juliet, they beauty hath...
Shakespeare reflects the way in w...
"I dreamt my lady came and found ...
Shakespeare uses dramatic irony t...
"O calm, dishonourable, vile subm...
Shakespeare highlights the import...
"I think she will be ruled in all...
Shakespeare reflects the partriar...
EDDIE SAYS
How did you do? Remember that for the highest marks in the exam, it's important to think about how Shakespeare's characterisation and presentation of themes reflects some of the key contextual factors surrounding the play. Some of the contextual factors you should try to consider are: - the religious Elizabethan society which gives additional meaning to the idea of fate and trying to change fate - the patriarchal society and gender hierarchy that defined what it meant to be male and female - the importance of loyalty and honour in this society
  • Question 9

What is the effect of Benvolio's quotation below?

"For now, these hot days, is the mad blood stirring"

Click on the most accurate analysis.

CORRECT ANSWER
Shakespeare uses the metaphor of "hot days" to convey the rising tension Benvolio feels in the atmosphere. His personification in "mad blood" also portrays the way that tempers are out of control and men are acting irrationally
EDDIE SAYS
How did you do? Shakespeare uses a lot of metaphors. It's important to think about what the connotations of his word choices are - he's not always being literal in his meaning. Here Shakespeare uses "hot" to describe rising tempers and tension in the atmosphere. Benvolio is worried about this and wants to withdraw - after all, Prince Escalus has already warned the families that they would pay with their lives if they fight again.
  • Question 10

Match the following quotations to the language/structure/dramatic devices that Shakespeare has used?

CORRECT ANSWER
 Foreshadowing and dramatic ironyMetaphorSimilePunOxymoronRhetorical question
'It seems she hangs upon the cheek of night Like a rich jewel in a Ethiope's ear'
'My grave is like to be my wedding bed'
'Thou know'st the mask of night is on my face'
'Beautiful tyrant!'
'How if...I wake before the time that Romeo come to redeem me?'
'Make it a word and a blow'
EDDIE SAYS
Did you manage to match them all? It's really important to be able to correctly identify techniques Shakespeare has used in the play and to use the correct terminology to define them. This will show the examiner that you are analysing the writer's craft and will impress them for the higher marks in the exam!
Try it ---- OR ----

Sign up for a £1 trial so you can track and measure your child's progress on this activity.

What is EdPlace?

We're your National Curriculum aligned online education content provider helping each child succeed in English, maths and science from year 1 to GCSE. With an EdPlace account you’ll be able to track and measure progress, helping each child achieve their best. We build confidence and attainment by personalising each child’s learning at a level that suits them.

Get started
laptop

Start your £1 trial today.
Subscribe from £10/month.