The smart way to improve grades

Comprehensive & curriculum aligned

Affordable pricing from £10/month

Identify and Explain Key Quotes in 'A Christmas Carol'

In this worksheet, students will identify and explain key quotes from 'A Christmas Carol'.

'Identify and Explain Key Quotes in 'A Christmas Carol'' worksheet

Key stage:  KS 4

GCSE Subjects:   English Literature

GCSE Boards:   Eduqas, OCR, Pearson Edexcel, AQA

Curriculum topic:   19th Century Prose, 19th Century Novel, The 19th Century Novel

Curriculum subtopic:   A Christmas Carol

Difficulty level:  

Worksheet Overview

QUESTION 1 of 10

In this worksheet, you will identify and explain key quotes from 'A Christmas Carol' and explain why they are important to remember. 

'A Christmas Carol' is a novella (short story) written by Charles Dickens in 1843.

It's set in Victorian London and is a traditional ghost story (it's not too spooky so don't worry!)

Ebenezer Scrooge is the main character who is a mean and greedy man  -  he changes his ways after four ghosts visit him on Christmas Eve.

When you're ready, let's begin...

"Marley was dead: to begin with."

You should always refer to your own text when working through these examples.  These quotations are for reference only.

Image result for snow london victorian

Look at the quotes from Stave one and match them to the character who says them: 

Column A

Column B

“Oh! But he was a tight-fisted hand at the grind...
The charity workers
"Are there no prisons?"
Jacob Marley
"A merry Christmas uncle!"
Scrooge
"I wear the chains I forged in life!"
The narrator
"Many can't go there, and many would rather die!"
Fred
"If the poor would rather die, they had better do ...
Scrooge

Image result for oyster

In Stave one, the narrator describes Scrooge as being "as solitary as an oyster".

What two techniques has Dickens used to describe Scrooge?  Think carefully about the whole novel to answer this question. 

Metaphor

Simile

Personification

Foreshadowing

Image result for christmas spirit

"There are many things from which I might have derived good, and not profited, I dare say - Christmas among the rest.  But I am sure I have always thought of Christmas time , when it has come around - as a good time, a time for forgiving, a charitable, pleasant time: the only time I know of in the long calendar of the year when men and women seem by one consent to open up their shut-up hearts freely, and to think of people below them as if they really were fellow passengers to the grave and not another race of creatures bound on their journeys.  And therefore uncle, though it has never put a scrap of gold or silver in my pocket, I believe that it has done me good, and will do me good and I say God bless it!"

Who makes this speech in stave one?

Scrooge

Mrs Cratchit

Fred

Tiny Tim

"Your lip is trembling, and what is that upon your cheek?" said the spirit.

The Ghost of Christmas Past shows Scrooge himself as a child who has been abandoned at school all alone at Christmas time.  What does this quote show about Scrooge's emotions at this moment?

He is upset and feels sorry for himself

He remembers missing his school friends

Look at Stave two in your copy of the text to help with this question.

The Ghost of Christmas Past shows Scrooge the scene where Belle "releases" (breaks up with) Scrooge from their engagement.  She tells him:

"You have replaced me with a golden idol."

What technique has Dickens used to show what Scrooge thinks is more important than his wife to be?

Similie

Onomatopoeia

Alliteration

Metaphor

Look at the description of the Ghost of Christmas Present below and complete the description. 

(Have a look at your own copy if you can't remember this off by heart to help you)

Similie

Onomatopoeia

Alliteration

Metaphor

Image result for ignorance and want

Look at the description of Ignorance and Want at the very end of Stave three.

What adjectives does Dickens use to describe the two children, Ignorance and Want, after they crawl out from underneath the ghost's robe?

Meagre

Wolfish

Dirty

Yellow

Howling

Scowling

Read the extract and match the words with the correct word class below:

"The phantom slowly, gravely, silently approached.  When it came near him, Scrooge bent down upon his knee; for in the very air in which this Spirit moved it seemed to scatter gloom and mystery.   It was shrouded in a deep, black garment, which concealed its head, its face, its form and left nothing of it visible save one outstretched hand.  But, for this, it would have been difficult to detach its figure from the night, and separate it from the darkness by which it was surrounded."

Column A

Column B

Phantom
Adverb
Silently
Noun
Shrouded
Noun
Black
Verb
Spirit
Adjective

Let's think about the ghosts in the novel...

Look at the quotations and descriptions of the four ghosts below and decide which belongs to each ghost. 

Column A

Column B

"Mankind was my business!"
Past
"I see an empty seat"
Jacob Marley
"The ghost pointed with an unmoved finger towards ...
Yet to Come
"A jet of light protruded from its head"
Present

Finally, let's test how well you've remembered! 

Check the true/false boxes to test your memory.

Good luck! 

TrueFalse
Fred is a juxtaposition of Scrooge
Scrooge is rude to everyone in stave one
The Ghost of Christmas present has a red robe
The Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come doesn't speak
Fred hates Christmas and feels the same as Scrooge
  • Question 1

Image result for snow london victorian

Look at the quotes from Stave one and match them to the character who says them: 

CORRECT ANSWER

Column A

Column B

“Oh! But he was a tight-fisted ...
The narrator
"Are there no prisons?"
Scrooge
"A merry Christmas uncle!"
Fred
"I wear the chains I forged in li...
Jacob Marley
"Many can't go there, and many wo...
The charity workers
"If the poor would rather die, th...
Scrooge
EDDIE SAYS
In stave one, Scrooge is shown as a really mean character. He is rude to everyone that he talks to - even his only family - Fred, his nephew. Dickens uses these exchanges to highlight Scrooge's meanness at the start of the novel, so that it will contrast dramatically at the end with the new, changed (and much more polite) Scrooge.
  • Question 2

Image result for oyster

In Stave one, the narrator describes Scrooge as being "as solitary as an oyster".

What two techniques has Dickens used to describe Scrooge?  Think carefully about the whole novel to answer this question. 

CORRECT ANSWER
Simile
Foreshadowing
EDDIE SAYS
The quote is a simile, as it compares Scrooge to an oyster using "as". It is also a foreshadowing technique, as it suggests to the reader that even though oysters are closed tightly, they often have something precious (a pearl) inside - Scrooge also has a good heart - he just needs to open up and find it again.
  • Question 3

Image result for christmas spirit

"There are many things from which I might have derived good, and not profited, I dare say - Christmas among the rest.  But I am sure I have always thought of Christmas time , when it has come around - as a good time, a time for forgiving, a charitable, pleasant time: the only time I know of in the long calendar of the year when men and women seem by one consent to open up their shut-up hearts freely, and to think of people below them as if they really were fellow passengers to the grave and not another race of creatures bound on their journeys.  And therefore uncle, though it has never put a scrap of gold or silver in my pocket, I believe that it has done me good, and will do me good and I say God bless it!"

Who makes this speech in stave one?

CORRECT ANSWER
Fred
EDDIE SAYS
Fred is used by Dickens as a mouthpiece to speak about the importance of Christmas spirit. He is the complete opposite to Scrooge's character (a juxtaposition) and shows the reader that this is how you should think and behave towards others - especially at Christmas. Think about how many more charity adverts you see on television at Christmas nowadays - it's a good time to ask for donations as people are happy and more willing to give!
  • Question 4

"Your lip is trembling, and what is that upon your cheek?" said the spirit.

The Ghost of Christmas Past shows Scrooge himself as a child who has been abandoned at school all alone at Christmas time.  What does this quote show about Scrooge's emotions at this moment?

CORRECT ANSWER
He is upset and feels sorry for himself
EDDIE SAYS
This is the first time we see any emotion from Scrooge. The memory of his childhood is painful for Scrooge and he gets upset. As a reader, we feel a little bit of sympathy for him as we start to understand why he's so miserable and a closed, isolated character - poor Scrooge!
  • Question 5

Look at Stave two in your copy of the text to help with this question.

The Ghost of Christmas Past shows Scrooge the scene where Belle "releases" (breaks up with) Scrooge from their engagement.  She tells him:

"You have replaced me with a golden idol."

What technique has Dickens used to show what Scrooge thinks is more important than his wife to be?

CORRECT ANSWER
Metaphor
EDDIE SAYS
Dickens has used a metaphor (a direct comparison) to show that Scrooge is more concerned with money than with his fiance, Belle. This is highlighting Scrooge's greed at this point and, although he doesn't realise it, he will regret this decision when he sees Belle with her family and husband in the next scene.
  • Question 6

Look at the description of the Ghost of Christmas Present below and complete the description. 

(Have a look at your own copy if you can't remember this off by heart to help you)

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
Did you remember the quote without looking it up? The Ghost of Christmas Present is a large jolly giant that Scrooge is a little scared of. It looks like a mix between Santa and Jesus. It wears a green robe with white fur - which was the original colour of Santa's robe until a well known fizzy drink company turned it red!
  • Question 7

Image result for ignorance and want

Look at the description of Ignorance and Want at the very end of Stave three.

What adjectives does Dickens use to describe the two children, Ignorance and Want, after they crawl out from underneath the ghost's robe?

CORRECT ANSWER
Meagre
Wolfish
Yellow
Scowling
EDDIE SAYS
Ignorance is a boy and Want is a girl. They are symbols of poverty and ignorance towards the poor. They are shocking in looks and the ghost describes them as being "mans" to highlight that we are all responsible for preventing ignorance towards the poor, and therefore poverty. Their appearance would've shocked a Victorian audience as they didn't look like children, but more like monsters!
  • Question 8

Read the extract and match the words with the correct word class below:

"The phantom slowly, gravely, silently approached.  When it came near him, Scrooge bent down upon his knee; for in the very air in which this Spirit moved it seemed to scatter gloom and mystery.   It was shrouded in a deep, black garment, which concealed its head, its face, its form and left nothing of it visible save one outstretched hand.  But, for this, it would have been difficult to detach its figure from the night, and separate it from the darkness by which it was surrounded."

CORRECT ANSWER

Column A

Column B

Phantom
Noun
Silently
Adverb
Shrouded
Verb
Black
Adjective
Spirit
Noun
EDDIE SAYS
Don't worry if you found that tricky! It's really useful to be able to identify word class for analysis, as it shows your examiner that you know what they are. It helps with your development of your answer and gives a more in-depth analysis to your response.
  • Question 9

Let's think about the ghosts in the novel...

Look at the quotations and descriptions of the four ghosts below and decide which belongs to each ghost. 

CORRECT ANSWER

Column A

Column B

"Mankind was my business!"
Jacob Marley
"I see an empty seat"
Present
"The ghost pointed with an unmove...
Yet to Come
"A jet of light protruded from it...
Past
EDDIE SAYS
Try this revision tip to help you remember the ghosts: Fold a piece of paper into 4 squares. Write key pieces of description, a list of each place the ghost takes Scrooge and 2-3 quotes for each. Put this somewhere that you will see it regularly and it will help you to remember.
  • Question 10

Finally, let's test how well you've remembered! 

Check the true/false boxes to test your memory.

Good luck! 

CORRECT ANSWER
 TrueFalse
Fred is a juxtaposition of Scrooge
Scrooge is rude to everyone in stave one
The Ghost of Christmas present has a red robe
The Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come doesn't speak
Fred hates Christmas and feels the same as Scrooge
EDDIE SAYS
Well done for completing this activity! You have learned to identify and explain some key quotations in the novel.
---- OR ----

Sign up for a £1 trial so you can track and measure your child's progress on this activity.

What is EdPlace?

We're your National Curriculum aligned online education content provider helping each child succeed in English, maths and science from year 1 to GCSE. With an EdPlace account you’ll be able to track and measure progress, helping each child achieve their best. We build confidence and attainment by personalising each child’s learning at a level that suits them.

Get started
laptop

Start your £1 trial today.
Subscribe from £10/month.