The smart way to improve grades

Comprehensive & curriculum aligned

Affordable pricing from £10/month

Evaluate Key Characters and Their Development in 'A Christmas Carol'

In this worksheet, students will be able evaluate key characters in 'A Christmas Carol'.

'Evaluate Key Characters and Their Development in 'A Christmas Carol'' worksheet

Key stage:  KS 4

GCSE Subjects:   English Literature

GCSE Boards:   Eduqas, OCR, Pearson Edexcel, AQA

Curriculum topic:   19th Century Prose, 19th Century Novel, The 19th Century Novel

Curriculum subtopic:   A Christmas Carol

Difficulty level:  

Worksheet Overview

QUESTION 1 of 10

Have you ever read a book and decided that you like or dislike the characters within it?  

What made you feel like this?  Is it the language they use, the way they behave or just a feeling?

Image result for a christmas carol

Authors use characters in novels to engage with their readers, they provide a great way to get an emotional response from a reader.  

In 'Christmas Carol' the role of the characters is very important.  There are so many different characters that there we can all find one to relate to.  Did you change your mind about any of them as you read the novel?  If so, why did this happen? 

In this worksheet, you will be able to evaluate key characters and look at their development in 'A Christmas Carol'.

You should always refer to your own text when working through these examples.  These quotations are for reference only.

Image result for tiny tim a christmas carol

Which characters successfully show compassion towards Scrooge in the novel?

Fezziwig

Mrs Cratchit

Fred

The Ghost of Christmas Past

Bob

Mrs Dibler

The Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come

Scrooge's work colleagues

The Ghost of Christmas Present

Fan

How do the ghosts influence Scrooge and make his character develop from a selfish man to a good person?

Match the main areas of influence each ghost has on Scrooge to the correct ghost. 

Column A

Column B

Jacob Marley
This ghost makes Scrooge believe in the supernatur...
Christmas Past
This ghost shows Scrooge painful memories. Scrooge...
Christmas Present
This ghost shows Scrooge the importance of Christm...
Christmas Yet to Come
This ghost shows Scrooge that if he doesn't change...

What symbolism does each ghost possess and what does it represent? 

Fill in the blanks to show how the ghosts further influence Scrooge. 

Column A

Column B

Jacob Marley
This ghost makes Scrooge believe in the supernatur...
Christmas Past
This ghost shows Scrooge painful memories. Scrooge...
Christmas Present
This ghost shows Scrooge the importance of Christm...
Christmas Yet to Come
This ghost shows Scrooge that if he doesn't change...

Explore how the relationship between Scrooge and Fred changes in the novel.

Refer to this extract and the rest of the text to complete your answer:

""A merry Christmas, uncle! God save you!" cried a cheerful voice. It was the voice of Scrooge's nephew, who came upon him so quickly that this was the first intimation he had of his approach.  "Bah!" said Scrooge, "Humbug!"

He had so heated himself with rapid walking in the fog and frost, this nephew of Scrooge's, that he was all in a glow; his face was ruddy and handsome; his eyes sparkled, and his breath smoked again.  

"Christmas a humbug, uncle!" said Scrooge's nephew. "You don't mean that, I am sure."

"I do," said Scrooge. "Merry Christmas! What right have you to be merry? What reason have you to be merry? You're poor enough."  "Come, then," returned the nephew gaily. "What right have you to be dismal? What reason have you to be morose? You're rich enough."

Scrooge having no better answer ready on the spur of the moment, said "Bah!" again; and followed it up with "Humbug."  "Don't be cross, uncle!" said the nephew.

"What else can I be," returned the uncle, "when I live in such a world of fools as this? Merry Christmas! Out upon merry Christmas! What's Christmas time to you but a time for paying bills without money; a time for finding yourself a year older, but not an hour richer; a time for balancing your books and having every item in 'em through a round dozen of months presented dead against you? If I could work my will," said Scrooge indignantly, "every idiot who goes about with 'Merry Christmas' on his lips, should be boiled with his own pudding, and buried with a stake of holly through his heart. He should!"

"Uncle!" pleaded the nephew.  "Nephew!" returned the uncle, sternly, "keep Christmas in your own way, and let me keep it in mine."  "Keep it!" repeated Scrooge's nephew. "But you don't keep it."  "Let me leave it alone, then," said Scrooge. "Much good may it do you! Much good it has ever done you!"

Look at the following quotes from Mrs Cratchit.  

Explore how the family are presented as loving and caring towards each other.

Look at the quotes below and match them to the most appropriate analysis.

Column A

Column B

"Sit ye down by the fire my dear"
Mrs Cratchit tells her children a white lie to pro...
"I wouldn't show weak eyes to your father when he ...
Mrs Cratchit is concerned about her husband and wa...
"The mother laid her work upon the table, and put ...
The Cratchit children are upset and crying because...

Image result for cratchit children

"Such a bustle ensued that you might have thought a goose the rarest of all birds; a feathered phenomenon, to which a black swan was a matter of course; and in truth it was something very like it in that house.  Mrs Cratchit made the gravy; Master Peter mashed the potatoes with incredible vigour; Miss Belinda sweetened up the apple sauce; Martha dusted the hot plates; Bob took Tiny Tim beside him in a tiny corner at the table; the two young Cratchits set chairs for everybody, not forgetting themselves and mounting guard upon their posts, crammed spoons into their mouths, lest they should shriek for goose before their turn came to be helped."

What evidence is there to support the view that the Cratchit family are a close and supportive family in this extract?

They are excited by Christmas

Every member of the family has a role and is working together to make lunch

Mrs Cratchit is in charge of the dinner and is in control of the family

Mr Cratchit is not mentioned as he is not a key character in this family

Read this extract from the end of 'A Christmas Carol' Starting with this extract how does Dickens present positivity and happiness in 'A Christmas Carol'?  Write a minimum of two paragraphs.

"His hands were busy with his garments all this time; turning them inside out, putting them on upside down, tearing them, mislaying them, making them parties to every kind of extravagance.

“I don’t know what to do!” cried Scrooge, laughing and crying in the same breath; and making a perfect Laocoön of himself with his stockings. “I am as light as a feather, I am as happy as an angel, I am as merry as a schoolboy. I am as giddy as a drunken man. A merry Christmas to everybody! A happy New Year to all the world. Hallo here! Whoop! Hallo!”

He had frisked into the sitting-room, and was now standing there: perfectly winded.

“There’s the saucepan that the gruel was in!” cried Scrooge, starting off again, and going round the fireplace. “There’s the door, by which the Ghost of Jacob Marley entered! There’s the corner where the Ghost of Christmas Present, sat! There’s the window where I saw the wandering Spirits! It’s all right, it’s all true, it all happened. Ha ha ha!”

Really, for a man who had been out of practice for so many years, it was a splendid laugh, a most illustrious laugh. The father of a long, long line of brilliant laughs!"

Use your copy of the novel to find the description of Ignorance and Want (end of stave three).

The children appear as monsters and are really shocking in appearance. 

What adjectives are used to describe the children Ignorance and Want?

Yellow

Meagre

Nasty

Shrivelled

Pinched

Grotesque

Wolfish

Scowling

Image result for christmas

Which of the following applies to the narrator of 'A Christmas Carol'?

It's written as a first person narrative

The narrator is opinionated

It's a limited omniscient narration

The narrator dislikes Scrooge to start with

The narrator controls the thoughts of all the characters

The narrator controls the thoughts of Scrooge

A final few questions to check your understanding of the characters.

TrueFalse
Mrs Cratchit is a bad mother
Fred is a compassionate character
All of the ghosts care about Scrooge
The Cratchit children refuse to help their mother on Christmas Day
The narrative voice is limited omniscient
Ignorance is the most feared of the two children
Fred refuses to let Scrooge in to his house in stave five
  • Question 1

Image result for tiny tim a christmas carol

Which characters successfully show compassion towards Scrooge in the novel?

CORRECT ANSWER
Fezziwig
Fred
The Ghost of Christmas Past
Bob
The Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come
The Ghost of Christmas Present
Fan
EDDIE SAYS
Did you remember all the characters? The three ghosts are there to help Scrooge. Even though they show him some upsetting scenes, it's all for his benefit to help him change. Even the Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come, who terrifies Scrooge, is described as being kind towards him: "the kind hand trembled." Scrooge has a lot of people who care about him, which is surprising as we learn about his attitude to others.
  • Question 2

How do the ghosts influence Scrooge and make his character develop from a selfish man to a good person?

Match the main areas of influence each ghost has on Scrooge to the correct ghost. 

CORRECT ANSWER

Column A

Column B

Jacob Marley
This ghost makes Scrooge believe ...
Christmas Past
This ghost shows Scrooge painful ...
Christmas Present
This ghost shows Scrooge the impo...
Christmas Yet to Come
This ghost shows Scrooge that if ...
EDDIE SAYS
Scrooge is pretty arrogant towards Jacob Marley - the first ghost - and refuses to believe that he is actually real. Marley has an important job to do - he warns Scrooge that he needs to change, otherwise he will regret this in the afterlife. Scrooge starts to change from the very start of the ghosts showing him different Christmases. His transformation is completed as soon as he realises he has another chance to make amends.
  • Question 3

What symbolism does each ghost possess and what does it represent? 

Fill in the blanks to show how the ghosts further influence Scrooge. 

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
How did you do here? Each ghost is unique in appearance. Only Jacob Marley resembles a traditional ghost that we normally think of. Each symbol further shows Scrooge that his actions need to change immediately to secure a less sinister end to his life!
  • Question 4

Explore how the relationship between Scrooge and Fred changes in the novel.

Refer to this extract and the rest of the text to complete your answer:

""A merry Christmas, uncle! God save you!" cried a cheerful voice. It was the voice of Scrooge's nephew, who came upon him so quickly that this was the first intimation he had of his approach.  "Bah!" said Scrooge, "Humbug!"

He had so heated himself with rapid walking in the fog and frost, this nephew of Scrooge's, that he was all in a glow; his face was ruddy and handsome; his eyes sparkled, and his breath smoked again.  

"Christmas a humbug, uncle!" said Scrooge's nephew. "You don't mean that, I am sure."

"I do," said Scrooge. "Merry Christmas! What right have you to be merry? What reason have you to be merry? You're poor enough."  "Come, then," returned the nephew gaily. "What right have you to be dismal? What reason have you to be morose? You're rich enough."

Scrooge having no better answer ready on the spur of the moment, said "Bah!" again; and followed it up with "Humbug."  "Don't be cross, uncle!" said the nephew.

"What else can I be," returned the uncle, "when I live in such a world of fools as this? Merry Christmas! Out upon merry Christmas! What's Christmas time to you but a time for paying bills without money; a time for finding yourself a year older, but not an hour richer; a time for balancing your books and having every item in 'em through a round dozen of months presented dead against you? If I could work my will," said Scrooge indignantly, "every idiot who goes about with 'Merry Christmas' on his lips, should be boiled with his own pudding, and buried with a stake of holly through his heart. He should!"

"Uncle!" pleaded the nephew.  "Nephew!" returned the uncle, sternly, "keep Christmas in your own way, and let me keep it in mine."  "Keep it!" repeated Scrooge's nephew. "But you don't keep it."  "Let me leave it alone, then," said Scrooge. "Much good may it do you! Much good it has ever done you!"

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
A model answer: At the start of the novel, the relationship between Fred and Scrooge is one sided in Fred's favour. He visits Scrooge on Christmas Eve to wish him well and to invite him to Christmas lunch. He is greeted with a curt rhetorical question "What reason have you to be merry? You're poor enough!" This implies that Scrooge thinks money is the only source to make a person happy. This is ironic as Scrooge has plenty of money, but is constantly miserable, rude and bad-tempered. Fred on the other hand, is a juxtaposition of his uncle and is constantly happy, generous and kind. Dickens may well have used Fred to present to his readers an example of good Christmas spirit.
  • Question 5

Look at the following quotes from Mrs Cratchit.  

Explore how the family are presented as loving and caring towards each other.

Look at the quotes below and match them to the most appropriate analysis.

CORRECT ANSWER

Column A

Column B

"Sit ye down by the fire my dear"
Mrs Cratchit is concerned about h...
"I wouldn't show weak eyes to you...
The Cratchit children are upset a...
"The mother laid her work upon th...
Mrs Cratchit tells her children a...
EDDIE SAYS
The Cratchits are presented as the ultimate loving family. Their lack of money doesn't stop them caring deeply for each other. Dickens used them to give the poor a face. If Victorian society could empathise with a loving and caring family such as the Cratchits, hopefully they would think the same of other poor families surrounding them.
  • Question 6

Image result for cratchit children

"Such a bustle ensued that you might have thought a goose the rarest of all birds; a feathered phenomenon, to which a black swan was a matter of course; and in truth it was something very like it in that house.  Mrs Cratchit made the gravy; Master Peter mashed the potatoes with incredible vigour; Miss Belinda sweetened up the apple sauce; Martha dusted the hot plates; Bob took Tiny Tim beside him in a tiny corner at the table; the two young Cratchits set chairs for everybody, not forgetting themselves and mounting guard upon their posts, crammed spoons into their mouths, lest they should shriek for goose before their turn came to be helped."

What evidence is there to support the view that the Cratchit family are a close and supportive family in this extract?

CORRECT ANSWER
Every member of the family has a role and is working together to make lunch
EDDIE SAYS
Don't worry if you found that tricky! You may have found other language techniques to support your answer. It's really important to explore language in as much detail as you can to show your examiner that you analyse in detail. The excitement is shown with all the family helping and doing their bit. It also shows a very lively household, as everyone is busy helping to prepare the meal. There is no evidence of any squabbling or ill, feeling. They are acting as if the 'goose the rarest of birds' and pulling together well.
  • Question 7

Read this extract from the end of 'A Christmas Carol' Starting with this extract how does Dickens present positivity and happiness in 'A Christmas Carol'?  Write a minimum of two paragraphs.

"His hands were busy with his garments all this time; turning them inside out, putting them on upside down, tearing them, mislaying them, making them parties to every kind of extravagance.

“I don’t know what to do!” cried Scrooge, laughing and crying in the same breath; and making a perfect Laocoön of himself with his stockings. “I am as light as a feather, I am as happy as an angel, I am as merry as a schoolboy. I am as giddy as a drunken man. A merry Christmas to everybody! A happy New Year to all the world. Hallo here! Whoop! Hallo!”

He had frisked into the sitting-room, and was now standing there: perfectly winded.

“There’s the saucepan that the gruel was in!” cried Scrooge, starting off again, and going round the fireplace. “There’s the door, by which the Ghost of Jacob Marley entered! There’s the corner where the Ghost of Christmas Present, sat! There’s the window where I saw the wandering Spirits! It’s all right, it’s all true, it all happened. Ha ha ha!”

Really, for a man who had been out of practice for so many years, it was a splendid laugh, a most illustrious laugh. The father of a long, long line of brilliant laughs!"

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
Example of a model answer: Dickens uses the repetition of the verb "laugh" to show the happiness and relief that Scrooge is feeling in this extract. This implies that Scrooge has fully changed from his former miserable and bad-tempered self. Scrooge has been given another chance to redeem himself and is grateful for the chance to change his former poor attitude towards others.
  • Question 8

Use your copy of the novel to find the description of Ignorance and Want (end of stave three).

The children appear as monsters and are really shocking in appearance. 

What adjectives are used to describe the children Ignorance and Want?

CORRECT ANSWER
Yellow
Meagre
Shrivelled
Pinched
Wolfish
Scowling
EDDIE SAYS
The children represent an allegory of the issues in society that Dickens wanted to highlight and educate Victorian society about. Their shocking appearance as children would stand out in his readers' minds more and he hoped that this would help make a change for the better.
  • Question 9

Image result for christmas

Which of the following applies to the narrator of 'A Christmas Carol'?

CORRECT ANSWER
The narrator is opinionated
It's a limited omniscient narration
The narrator dislikes Scrooge to start with
The narrator controls the thoughts of Scrooge
EDDIE SAYS
The narrative voice in 'A Christmas Carol' is strong. At the start, it is the narrator that gives us the first impressions of Scrooge before we even meet him. It is clear that the narrator dislikes Scrooge from the description of him and how others react to him. This could be a technique that Dickens adopted to make sure his own opinions of people like Scrooge were made known to his readers.
  • Question 10

A final few questions to check your understanding of the characters.

CORRECT ANSWER
 TrueFalse
Mrs Cratchit is a bad mother
Fred is a compassionate character
All of the ghosts care about Scrooge
The Cratchit children refuse to help their mother on Christmas Day
The narrative voice is limited omniscient
Ignorance is the most feared of the two children
Fred refuses to let Scrooge in to his house in stave five
EDDIE SAYS
Well done! You are now an expert on the characters in A Christmas Carol! Keep up the excellent work!
Try it ---- OR ----

Sign up for a £1 trial so you can track and measure your child's progress on this activity.

What is EdPlace?

We're your National Curriculum aligned online education content provider helping each child succeed in English, maths and science from year 1 to GCSE. With an EdPlace account you’ll be able to track and measure progress, helping each child achieve their best. We build confidence and attainment by personalising each child’s learning at a level that suits them.

Get started
laptop

Start your £1 trial today.
Subscribe from £10/month.