The smart way to improve grades

Comprehensive & curriculum aligned

Affordable pricing from £10/month

Identify and Explain Key Quotes in 'Blood Brothers'

In this worksheet, students will identify and explain key quotes from 'Blood Brothers'.

'Identify and Explain Key Quotes in 'Blood Brothers'' worksheet

Key stage:  KS 4

GCSE Subjects:   English Literature

GCSE Boards:   Eduqas, Pearson Edexcel, AQA

Curriculum topic:   Post-1914 Prose / Drama, Post-1914 Play or Novel, Modern Texts: Drama

Curriculum subtopic:   Blood Brothers

Difficulty level:  

Worksheet Overview

QUESTION 1 of 10

In the exam, you will need to be able to support your ideas with quotations from the text.

You should try to build a bank of quotations for each character and theme and learn these so that you can use them readily in your exam response.

Top tip for the exam: While it is important to use direct quotations, you will also be rewarded marks for paraphrasing or making reference to part of the text!

In this activity you will practise identifying:

Who is speaking in particular quotations

Who is being to referred to in quotations

What quotations suggest about a character

What theme or idea is explored in a quotation

You should always refer to your own text when working through these examples.  These quotations are for reference only.

Who sings the following lyrics in the play:

"Tell me it's not true. Say it's just a story."

Complete the following quotation spoken by Mrs Johnstone.  Use your text to help you.

Who speaks the following line in the play?

"They say...they say that if either twin learns that he once was a pair, they shall both immediately die."

Complete the following quotation where Mickey and Edward meet and become friends.  Use your text to helo you.

Two young men clasp hands as blood brothers

Which quotation below highlights the innocence of childhood?

"You know that if you cross your fingers, And if you count from one to ten, You can get up off the ground again."

"And then she attacked me with permanent acne."

"I haven't even got one girlfriend."

The Johnstone family are sent to live in Skelmersdale.

Complete the quotation from Mrs Johnstone's song about the move.  Use your text to help you.

"You know that if you cross your fingers, And if you count from one to ten, You can get up off the ground again."

"And then she attacked me with permanent acne."

"I haven't even got one girlfriend."

Who reminds the audience that you can't escape the truth by running away from it?

devil

"He always knows where to find you

And someone said they'd seen him walking past your door."

What themes are explored in the following quotation?

"And only if the three of them could stay like that forever,

And only if we could predict no changes in the weather,

And only if we didn't live in life, as well as dreams, 

And only if we could stop and be forever, just eighteen."

Childhood innocence

Superstition

Social class

Growing up

Which character says which line?

Column A

Column B

Mickey
"Linda, I've erm... (Quickly) Linda for Christ's s...
Edward
"If I was him I'd bring you flowers and ask you to...
Linda
"I hope for his sake he never has to ask me to mar...

Which quotation spoken by the narrator near the end of the musical, presents Willy Russell's key message and asks the audience to decide the answer?

Do not include quotation or punctuation marks.  Hint it begins "And do we blame superstition for what came to pass? Or could it be what we, the English...?"

• Question 1

Who sings the following lyrics in the play:

"Tell me it's not true. Say it's just a story."

CORRECT ANSWER
Mrs Johnstone
EDDIE SAYS
Did you get this one? This is the opening line of the musical when we are shown how the musical will end, with the death of the twins. The musical ends with this song also, where we see the deaths of the twins replayed after having witnessed everything that has led to this point.
  • Question 2

Complete the following quotation spoken by Mrs Johnstone.  Use your text to help you.

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
Did you fill both spaces? Very early in the musical we see Mrs Johnstone's working-class struggle which helps us to understand why she makes the decisions she does. She already has lots of children and struggles to feed them and when she becomes pregnant again she doesn't know how she will afford to look after them both. Indeed she goes on to say that the "welfare" have already said she should "put some of them into care".
  • Question 3

Who speaks the following line in the play?

"They say...they say that if either twin learns that he once was a pair, they shall both immediately die."

CORRECT ANSWER
Mrs Lyons
EDDIE SAYS
Did you choose Mrs Lyons? Mrs Lyons persuades Mrs Johnstone to give her one of her babies. She tells her she can't have children of her own and that she would let her see the baby every day. However, Mrs Lyons becomes worried when she sees Mrs Johnstone with the baby. She sacks her and Mrs Johnstone becomes angry that Mrs Lyons has not kept her promise. Knowing how superstitious Mrs Johnstone is, Mrs Lyons makes up a superstition to scare her and to ensure she won't ever reveal the truth.
  • Question 4

Complete the following quotation where Mickey and Edward meet and become friends.  Use your text to helo you.

Two young men clasp hands as blood brothers

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
How did you do? Did you remember a capital letter for names of any characters? When the boys meet by accident, they have an immediate connection. They quickly decide to become blood brothers. This creates dramatic tension. We know that both Mrs Lyons and Mrs Johnstone have been desperate that the boys do not meet and we worry what will happen when they find out.
  • Question 5

Which quotation below highlights the innocence of childhood?

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
The shooting games the children play show their innocence. We see them having fun and being carefree. The quotation above shows how there are no consequences in these innocent childhood games. This offers a stark contrast to their adult lives - Sammy shoots someone in a robbery and Mickey ends up in prison after acting as their lookout. The actions of the gangs the boys are part of have devastating consequences, unlike these childhood games.
  • Question 6

The Johnstone family are sent to live in Skelmersdale.

Complete the quotation from Mrs Johnstone's song about the move.  Use your text to help you.

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
Did you manage to fill all of the spaces? This song ends Act 1. Up until this point we've seen how much of a struggle Mrs Johnstone's working-class life has been. However, Mrs Johnstone is shown to be optimistic and hopeful about this new start. In fact, she's extremely idealistic about how good this move will be - she describes how the air is "so pure" and how there's "space for the kids". The audience are well aware that things won't be like this in reality - remember we already know the ending from the narrator's prologue. We know the musical will still end with the deaths of the brothers.
  • Question 7

Who reminds the audience that you can't escape the truth by running away from it?

devil

"He always knows where to find you

And someone said they'd seen him walking past your door."

CORRECT ANSWER
Narrator
The narrator
EDDIE SAYS
The idea of the devil knocking on your door is repeated by the narrator throughout the musical. Notice how the lighter and more optimistic moments in the musical are often destroyed by this reminder - the idea of fate is explored here. The ending has already been decided however much the characters try to escape it.
  • Question 8

What themes are explored in the following quotation?

"And only if the three of them could stay like that forever,

And only if we could predict no changes in the weather,

And only if we didn't live in life, as well as dreams, 

And only if we could stop and be forever, just eighteen."

CORRECT ANSWER
Childhood innocence
Growing up
EDDIE SAYS
This quotation is a line spoken by the narrator. In this song, we see how Mickey, Edward and Linda grow up. The narrator stresses how carefree and innocent their childhood days are but also offers a tragic reminder that their lives can't stay this way forever.
  • Question 9

Which character says which line?

CORRECT ANSWER

Column A

Column B

Mickey
"Linda, I've erm... (Quickly) Lin...
Edward
"If I was him I'd bring you flowe...
Linda
"I hope for his sake he never has...
EDDIE SAYS
Did you manage to match them all? We see a love triangle play out between Mickey, Edward and Linda. Notice how awkward Mickey is about asking Linda to be his girlfriend - Linda has gotten fed up with waiting at this point and Edward tells Mickey to speak to Linda. Edward also loves Linda and expresses his feelings much more eloquently than Mickey. Once he has expressed how he feels, he steps aside to allow Linda and Mickey to continue their relationship. For now! Of course, later in the musical, Edward and Linda act on their feelings for each other.
  • Question 10

Which quotation spoken by the narrator near the end of the musical, presents Willy Russell's key message and asks the audience to decide the answer?

Do not include quotation or punctuation marks.  Hint it begins "And do we blame superstition for what came to pass? Or could it be what we, the English...?"

CORRECT ANSWER
have come to know as class
EDDIE SAYS
Did you spot this one? This is one of the most important quotations in the musical. Russell asks whether the twin's fates could've been changed? If both had been brought up together in the same family, with the same kind of upbringing, would their lives have been spared? Russell asks whether fear led to their deaths or whether the class divide was the cause.
Try it ---- OR ----

Sign up for a £1 trial so you can track and measure your child's progress on this activity.

What is EdPlace?

We're your National Curriculum aligned online education content provider helping each child succeed in English, maths and science from year 1 to GCSE. With an EdPlace account you’ll be able to track and measure progress, helping each child achieve their best. We build confidence and attainment by personalising each child’s learning at a level that suits them.

Get started
laptop

Start your £1 trial today.
Subscribe from £10/month.