The smart way to improve grades

Comprehensive & curriculum aligned

Affordable pricing from £10/month

Identify the Key Content in Both 'The Emigree' and 'The Prelude' and Explain How They Compare

In this worksheet, students will identify the key themes in both 'The Emigree' and 'The Prelude' and explain the similarities between the two poems.

'Identify the Key Content in Both 'The Emigree' and 'The Prelude' and Explain How They Compare' worksheet

Key stage:  KS 4

GCSE Subjects:   English Literature

GCSE Boards:   AQA

Curriculum topic:   Poetry

Curriculum subtopic:   Power and Conflict: 'The Emigree'

Difficulty level:  

Worksheet Overview

QUESTION 1 of 10

For this activity, you will need to turn to the poem 'The Emigree' by Carol Rumens and 'The Prelude' by William Wordsworth. Both of these poems can be found in the Power and Conflict section of your Anthology.

suitcasewooden boat with paddles

Both 'The Emigree' and 'The Prelude' describe the effect that power can have on people. 'The Emigree' describes the power that people can have, whereas 'The Prelude' explores the power of nature. Both poems look at power through a child's perspective.

The poems focus on the main themes of power, nature, conflict and regret.

In the following questions, you will compare the similarities between the two poems.

aeroplane

In order to identify the comparisons in 'The Emigree' and 'The Prelude', we need to understand the meaning of both poems.

ead the poem 'The Emigree' and match the questions to the answers below.

Column A

Column B

When did the narrator leave her home country?
She looks back on it with affection and feels bad ...
What is wrong with the country she left behind?
It is at war and she has no passport
Why can't the narrator go back to her country?
It is at war and ruled by tyrants
How does the narrator feel about her country?
When she was a child

boat

Now read the poem 'The Prelude' and match the questions to the answers below.

Column A

Column B

What season is it in the poem?
He feels confident and powerful
How does the narrator get the boat?
Summer
How does he feel when he first sets out in the boa...
He feels insignificant and small compared to the p...
What happens to frighten him?
He sees a huge mountain
How does the narrator feel at the end of the poem?
He steals it

Both 'The Emigree' and 'The Prelude' use language to describe the power of nature.

sunlight

The quotations below are all taken from the poem 'The Emigree'. Choose one quotation that you think is an example of the power of nature.

"That child’s vocabulary..."

"Branded by an impression of sunlight..."

"I can’t get it off my tongue..."

"My city hides behind me"

Now, let's compare how the presentation of the power of nature is also used in the poem 'The Prelude'.

mountain

The quotations below are all from the poem 'The Prelude'. Choose one which you think shows the power of nature.

"One summer evening"

"It was an act of stealth"

"A huge peak"

"I dipped my oars"

Both poems use contrasting imagery to describe the ideas in their poems.

'The Emigree' contrasts positive images of her home country with negative ones of her new country. 'The Prelude' describes the contrasting emotions of the narrator before and after they see the mountain.

glass paperweight

The following quotations are all from 'The Emigree'. Choose one that you think creates contrasting imagery.

"There once was a country..."

"Bright filled paperweight..."

"The white streets of that city"

Now, let's compare how the idea of contrasting imagery is also used in the poem 'The Prelude'.

Night sky

The following quotations are all from the poem 'The Prelude'. Choose one that you think supports the idea of contrasting imagery.

"When, from behind that craggy steep"

"And measured motion like a living thing"

"The grim shape towered up between me and the stars"

Both 'The Emigree' and 'The Prelude' deal with the idea of childhood and a child's reaction to power.

Toys

Read the following extract from 'The Emigree' and underline any words that you think relate to childhood.

\"That child’s vocabulary I carried here like a hollow doll, opens and spills a grammar. Soon I shall have every coloured molecule of it\"

Now, let's compare how the idea of childhood is also presented in the poem 'The Prelude'.

wooden toys

Read the following quotations from 'The Prelude'. Choose the one that you think explains how a child might feel when they are doing something wrong.

"It was an act of stealth and troubled pleasure"

"I unloosed her chain"

"Leaving behind her still"

Both poems describe a narrator who feels regret over their past.

In 'The Emigree', the narrator feels sad and even guilty that she has left her home country. In 'The Prelude', the narrator regrets stealing the boat and rowing out into the lake.

aeroplane

Read the following quotations from 'The Emigree'. Choose one that you think shows her regret of leaving.

"They accuse me of absence"

"I have no passport"

Now, let's compare how 'The Prelude' also explores the idea of regret.

Forrest at night

Read the following quotations from 'The Prelude'. Choose one that you think shows that the narrator regrets stealing the boat.

"Behind that craggy steep..."

"A trouble to my dreams..."

"Through the meadows homeward..."

• Question 1

aeroplane

In order to identify the comparisons in 'The Emigree' and 'The Prelude', we need to understand the meaning of both poems.

ead the poem 'The Emigree' and match the questions to the answers below.

CORRECT ANSWER

Column A

Column B

When did the narrator leave her h...
When she was a child
What is wrong with the country sh...
It is at war and ruled by tyrants
Why can't the narrator go back to...
It is at war and she has no passp...
How does the narrator feel about ...
She looks back on it with affecti...
EDDIE SAYS
This poem has a deep sense of conflict in terms of emotions and memory, the poet is torn between her childhood memory which is of a country she loved and her adult understanding of what her country is like now. She cannot believe that her county is now a terrible place full of war and destruction.
  • Question 2

boat

Now read the poem 'The Prelude' and match the questions to the answers below.

CORRECT ANSWER

Column A

Column B

What season is it in the poem?
Summer
How does the narrator get the boa...
He steals it
How does he feel when he first se...
He feels confident and powerful
What happens to frighten him?
He sees a huge mountain
How does the narrator feel at the...
He feels insignificant and small ...
EDDIE SAYS
The poem 'The Prelude' explores the idea of man vs nature - in which nature is always the winner! The poem starts with the narrator feeling confident as he rows out into the middle of the lake and finishes with him feeling scared and traumatised when he realises that nature is more dangerous and powerful.
  • Question 3

Both 'The Emigree' and 'The Prelude' use language to describe the power of nature.

sunlight

The quotations below are all taken from the poem 'The Emigree'. Choose one quotation that you think is an example of the power of nature.

CORRECT ANSWER
"Branded by an impression of sunlight..."
EDDIE SAYS
The quotation "Branded by an impression of sunlight" supports the idea of the power of nature as it suggests that the narrator is owned or "branded" by the beautiful scenery of her home country. The nature of her country is powerful to her.
  • Question 4

Now, let's compare how the presentation of the power of nature is also used in the poem 'The Prelude'.

mountain

The quotations below are all from the poem 'The Prelude'. Choose one which you think shows the power of nature.

CORRECT ANSWER
"A huge peak"
EDDIE SAYS
The quotation "A huge peak" shows the power of nature as it is at this moment that the confident narrator suddenly realises how small he is and how "huge" the mountain is. The closer he gets to the mountain, the bigger it seems to get!
  • Question 5

Both poems use contrasting imagery to describe the ideas in their poems.

'The Emigree' contrasts positive images of her home country with negative ones of her new country. 'The Prelude' describes the contrasting emotions of the narrator before and after they see the mountain.

glass paperweight

The following quotations are all from 'The Emigree'. Choose one that you think creates contrasting imagery.

CORRECT ANSWER
"Bright filled paperweight..."
EDDIE SAYS
The quotation "Bright filled paperweight" creates a contrasting image as the word "bright" creates a positive impression of her country, whilst the word "paperweight" suggests something that is trapped and unable to move or change.
  • Question 6

Now, let's compare how the idea of contrasting imagery is also used in the poem 'The Prelude'.

Night sky

The following quotations are all from the poem 'The Prelude'. Choose one that you think supports the idea of contrasting imagery.

CORRECT ANSWER
"The grim shape towered up between me and the stars"
EDDIE SAYS
The quotation "The grim shape towered up between me and the stars" shows the contrast between the beauty of nature and the fear of its power that the narrator feels. He begins his journey by admiring the stars and the lake, it feels peaceful and magical. This is then contrasted by the more menacing and dangerous tone of the poem when the mountain appears.
  • Question 7

Both 'The Emigree' and 'The Prelude' deal with the idea of childhood and a child's reaction to power.

Toys

Read the following extract from 'The Emigree' and underline any words that you think relate to childhood.

CORRECT ANSWER
"That child’s vocabulary I carried here
like a hollow doll, opens and spills a grammar.
Soon I shall have every coloured molecule of it"
EDDIE SAYS
The narrator creates the impression that everything that she knew as a child has been lost, she feels sadness over this. Not only has the narrator lost her country and culture, but she has also lost the language that she innocently brought with her from that country.
  • Question 8

Now, let's compare how the idea of childhood is also presented in the poem 'The Prelude'.

wooden toys

Read the following quotations from 'The Prelude'. Choose the one that you think explains how a child might feel when they are doing something wrong.

CORRECT ANSWER
"It was an act of stealth and troubled pleasure"
EDDIE SAYS
The quotation "It was an act of stealth and troubled pleasure" describes the way a child might feel when doing something that they know is wrong, but it is too much fun not to do! The act of stealing makes the narrator feel "troubled" as he knows it is wrong but does it anyway as it brings him '"pleasure".
  • Question 9

Both poems describe a narrator who feels regret over their past.

In 'The Emigree', the narrator feels sad and even guilty that she has left her home country. In 'The Prelude', the narrator regrets stealing the boat and rowing out into the lake.

aeroplane

Read the following quotations from 'The Emigree'. Choose one that you think shows her regret of leaving.

CORRECT ANSWER
"They accuse me of absence"
EDDIE SAYS
The quotation "They accuse me of absence" describes the guilt that the narrator feels about leaving her home country. She personifies her country as though it is a loved one that she had left behind. She regrets leaving her country as part of her feels that she let her country down.
  • Question 10

Now, let's compare how 'The Prelude' also explores the idea of regret.

Forrest at night

Read the following quotations from 'The Prelude'. Choose one that you think shows that the narrator regrets stealing the boat.

CORRECT ANSWER
"A trouble to my dreams..."
EDDIE SAYS
The quotation "A trouble to my dreams" shows that the narrator regrets stealing the boat as, long after the event has happened, he cannot stop thinking about it. He explains how even when he sleeps, the memory of that night causes him "trouble".
Try it ---- OR ----

Sign up for a £1 trial so you can track and measure your child's progress on this activity.

What is EdPlace?

We're your National Curriculum aligned online education content provider helping each child succeed in English, maths and science from year 1 to GCSE. With an EdPlace account you’ll be able to track and measure progress, helping each child achieve their best. We build confidence and attainment by personalising each child’s learning at a level that suits them.

Get started
laptop

Start your £1 trial today.
Subscribe from £10/month.