The smart way to improve grades

Comprehensive & curriculum aligned

Affordable pricing from £10/month

Apply existing number codes to spell new words

In this worksheet, students will turn words into number codes using words with similar codes as a base. It will develop their encoding and problem solving skills.

'Apply existing number codes to spell new words' worksheet

Key stage:  KS 2

Curriculum topic:   Verbal Reasoning

Curriculum subtopic:   Number Code Breaking

Difficulty level:  

Worksheet Overview

QUESTION 1 of 10

Hi there code cracker!

Today we are going to learn about a new type of code.

When you turn a word into code, each letter can be represented by a number.

Let’s look at a question together:

If FLOWER is 785901, then WOLF is ____

You may have noticed that the word WOLF contains the same letters as the word FLOWER.

So the answer can be worked out by using the code introduced by the example word.

The W in FLOWER is 9 (W=9).

The O in FLOWER is 5 (O=5).

The L in FLOWER is 8 (L=8).

The F in FLOWER is 7 (F=7).

So WOLF is 9587 in code.

Let’s try another:

If the code for DINOSAUR is 51372894, then AROUND is ____

The word DINOSAUR contains the same letters as AROUND, so we can use this to work out the new code.

So the code for AROUND is 847935.

In this activity, you will be a code cracker and change words into number codes. Make a note of the number that matches each letter; you may want to create your own grid to help with this.

Pssstt!! Here’s a handy hint to help you reach superstar status:

It can be really helpful to write the word out and then write the corresponding numbers above each letter.  Give it a go!

Let’s get started!

Welcome back, code cracker! Another day, another number code cracking worksheet - you are making brilliant progress, well done! In this worksheet, I am going to ask you to change words into codes, as well as changing codes back into words. I know you are up to the challenge, Super Code Cracker!

Now, let's get back to business...

Imagine you are at this beautiful spot:

Isn't it peaceful? If the code for PEACEFUL is 97137824, what is the code for PALE?

Let's have another go, code cracker. I hope the explanation for the first question helped you to work out exactly how to tackle these questions.

Remember your handy hint to reach superstar status: write the words out and then write the corresponding numbers above each letter. This will definitely help you with accuracy. 

So, now we are going to try turning another word into a code. If the code for the word GRATEFUL is 43617290, then what is the code for TURF?

Right then, code cracker, let's have another go! 

I'm sure you know how to tie your laces by now, but can you work out the code for them in this question?!

So, now we are going to try turning another word into a code. If the code for the word ESPECIALLY is 6216349880, then what is the code for LACES?

I feel like you are starting to get the hang of this, code cracker! Don't worry if it takes a bit of time - the Level 2 worksheets are a bit trickier than the Level 1 worksheets. You'll get there! Remember: I'm always here to help. 

So, can you work out the code for BEGGING if the code for BELONGING is 723160860?

Remember: use the handy hint to help you!

You are halfway, code cracker. Fantastic work!

So, I think you are ready to try and turn a code into a word. Don't panic - you are definitely ready for it!

So, if the code for AWARE is 62614, what word is represented by the code 261?

You can do it!

Awe

Raw

War

Let's practise that skill again to try and master it, code cracker. Remember: practice doesn't always make perfect, but it definitely means that you make progress and that is the most important thing!

If the code for FEARFUL is 6917623, what word is represented by the code 6799?

Fare

Free

Full

You are making such good progress, code cracker. Why don't you take a moment to give yourself a high five? You should feel very proud!

OK, now it's time to get back to business. If the code for the word POLISH is 590136, what word is represented by the code 0135?

Can you believe that we only have three questions left, code cracker? We can definitely do this!

Right, let's calm it down now...

Isn't this a tranquil scene? If the code for TRANQUIL is 92416832, what is the code for QUILT?

Remember to use your handy hint!

We are almost there, code cracker! You only have two questions left. What brilliant work!

So, if the code for PICTURE is 7931462, what is the code for TRIP?

You've made it to the last question, code cracker! Wahoo!

So, the code for WATERFALL is 621349877, what is the code for WALL?

• Question 1

Welcome back, code cracker! Another day, another number code cracking worksheet - you are making brilliant progress, well done! In this worksheet, I am going to ask you to change words into codes, as well as changing codes back into words. I know you are up to the challenge, Super Code Cracker!

Now, let's get back to business...

Imagine you are at this beautiful spot:

Isn't it peaceful? If the code for PEACEFUL is 97137824, what is the code for PALE?

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
Did you get the correct answer, code cracker? Don't worry if not - we're still practising! Let's look carefully. If we do, we notice that all the letters in the word PALE are in the word PEACEFUL. So, let's break it down: The P in PEACEFUL is 9. The A in PEACEFUL is 1. The L in PEACEFUL is 4. The E in PEACEFUL is 7. So, the code for PALE is 9147!
  • Question 2

Let's have another go, code cracker. I hope the explanation for the first question helped you to work out exactly how to tackle these questions.

Remember your handy hint to reach superstar status: write the words out and then write the corresponding numbers above each letter. This will definitely help you with accuracy. 

So, now we are going to try turning another word into a code. If the code for the word GRATEFUL is 43617290, then what is the code for TURF?

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
Did you manage this one, code cracker? Remember to use the handy hint to help you out! Let's go through it together. If we look at the code for GRATEFUL, we see that: The T in GRATEFUL is 1. The U in GRATEFUL is 9. The R in GRATEFUL is 3. The F in GRATEFUL is 2. So, the code for TURF is 1932!
  • Question 3

Right then, code cracker, let's have another go! 

I'm sure you know how to tie your laces by now, but can you work out the code for them in this question?!

So, now we are going to try turning another word into a code. If the code for the word ESPECIALLY is 6216349880, then what is the code for LACES?

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
How did you get on here, code cracker? I hope you used your handy hint because ESPECIALLY is a rather long word and it will have really helped you here. Let's go through it, just in case you need a recap: The L in ESPECIALLY is 8. The A in ESPECIALLY is 9. The C in ESPECIALLY is 3. The E in ESPECIALLY is 6. The S in ESPECIALLY is 2. If we put it all together, we see that the code for LACES is 89362!
  • Question 4

I feel like you are starting to get the hang of this, code cracker! Don't worry if it takes a bit of time - the Level 2 worksheets are a bit trickier than the Level 1 worksheets. You'll get there! Remember: I'm always here to help. 

So, can you work out the code for BEGGING if the code for BELONGING is 723160860?

Remember: use the handy hint to help you!

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
OK, code cracker, I hope that question felt manageable. There are quite a lot of repeated letters here, aren't there? I definitely think you need to remember your handy hint here! The words are getting longer, after all. Let's try and work this one out: The B in BELONGING is 7. The E in BELONGING is 2. The G in BELONGING is 0. The G in BELONGING is 0. The I in BELONGING is 8. The N in BELONGING is 6. The G in BELONGING is 0. If we put it all together, we see that the code for BEGGING is 7200860!
  • Question 5

You are halfway, code cracker. Fantastic work!

So, I think you are ready to try and turn a code into a word. Don't panic - you are definitely ready for it!

So, if the code for AWARE is 62614, what word is represented by the code 261?

You can do it!

CORRECT ANSWER
War
EDDIE SAYS
The correct answer is WAR. Let's see how we got there, code cracker: We know that the code for AWARE is 62614. I asked you to work out what word was represented by the code 261. We can work it out as follows: The 2 in 62614 is W. The 6 in 62614 is A. The 1 in 62614 is R. So the code 261 represents the word WAR!
  • Question 6

Let's practise that skill again to try and master it, code cracker. Remember: practice doesn't always make perfect, but it definitely means that you make progress and that is the most important thing!

If the code for FEARFUL is 6917623, what word is represented by the code 6799?

CORRECT ANSWER
Free
EDDIE SAYS
Are you using your handy hint to help you, code cracker? I think that it is really important when you are moving from codes to words, so do try to use it when you can. Let's take a closer look at this. We know the code for FEARFUL IS 6917623, so we need to work out which letter each of the numbers 6799 represents: The 6 in 6917623 is F. The 7 in 6917623 is R. The 9 in 6917623 is E. The 9 in 6917623 is E. So, the word you should have found in the code 6799 is FREE!
  • Question 7

You are making such good progress, code cracker. Why don't you take a moment to give yourself a high five? You should feel very proud!

OK, now it's time to get back to business. If the code for the word POLISH is 590136, what word is represented by the code 0135?

CORRECT ANSWER
Lisp
EDDIE SAYS
The word is LISP. Let's see how we got there, code cracker. We know that the code for POLISH is 590136, so we can also work out the following: The 0 in 590136 is L. The 1 in 590136 is I. The 3 in 590136 is S. The 5 in 590136 is P. So, the word we are looking for is LISP!
  • Question 8

Can you believe that we only have three questions left, code cracker? We can definitely do this!

Right, let's calm it down now...

Isn't this a tranquil scene? If the code for TRANQUIL is 92416832, what is the code for QUILT?

Remember to use your handy hint!

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
We are back on familiar ground here, code cracker: turning words into number codes. Did you manage to get this one right? Let's go through it to check. We know the code for the word TRANQUIL, so we know that: The Q in TRANQUIL is 6. The U in TRANQUIL is 8. The I in TRANQUIL is 3. The L in TRANQUIL is 2. The T in TRANQUIL is 9. So the code for QUILT is 68329!
  • Question 9

We are almost there, code cracker! You only have two questions left. What brilliant work!

So, if the code for PICTURE is 7931462, what is the code for TRIP?

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
Did you manage to work this one out, code cracker? Let's go through it together. Remember: I'm always here to help! So, using the code we already have, we know that: The T in PICTURE is 1. The R in PICTURE is 6. The I in PICTURE is 9. The P in PICTURE is 7. So 1697 is the code for TRIP!
  • Question 10

You've made it to the last question, code cracker! Wahoo!

So, the code for WATERFALL is 621349877, what is the code for WALL?

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
You have done so well to make it this far, code cracker - well done! So, let's see if we can work out the final code. We know the code for WATERFALL and using that we can work out that: The W in WATERFALL is 6. The A in WATERFALL is 8. The L in WATERFALL is 7. You will need to use the 7 again to account for the second L. So, the code for WALL is 6877! Well done!
---- OR ----

Sign up for a £1 trial so you can track and measure your child's progress on this activity.

What is EdPlace?

We're your National Curriculum aligned online education content provider helping each child succeed in English, maths and science from year 1 to GCSE. With an EdPlace account you’ll be able to track and measure progress, helping each child achieve their best. We build confidence and attainment by personalising each child’s learning at a level that suits them.

Get started
laptop

Start your £1 trial today.
Subscribe from £10/month.