The smart way to improve grades

Comprehensive & curriculum aligned

Affordable pricing from £10/month

Apply existing number codes to spell new words

In this worksheet, students will turn words into number codes using words with similar codes as a base. It will develop their encoding and problem solving skills.

'Apply existing number codes to spell new words' worksheet

Key stage:  KS 2

Curriculum topic:  Verbal Reasoning

Curriculum subtopic:  Number Code Breaking

Difficulty level:  

down

Worksheet Overview

QUESTION 1 of 10

Hi there code cracker!

Today we are going to learn about a new type of code.

When you turn a word into code, each letter can be represented by a number.

Let’s look at a question together:

If FLOWER is 785901, then WOLF is ____

You may have noticed that the word WOLF contains the same letters as the word FLOWER.

So the answer can be worked out by using the code introduced by the example word.

The W in FLOWER is 9 (W=9).

The O in FLOWER is 5 (O=5).

The L in FLOWER is 8 (L=8).

The F in FLOWER is 7 (F=7).

So WOLF is 9587 in code.

Let’s try another:

If the code for DINOSAUR is 51372894, then AROUND is ____

The word DINOSAUR contains the same letters as AROUND, so we can use this to work out the new code.

So the code for AROUND is 847935.

In this activity, you will be a code cracker and change words into number codes. Make a note of the number that matches each letter; you may want to create your own grid to help with this.

Pssstt!! Here’s a handy hint to help you reach superstar status:

It can be really helpful to write the word out and then write the corresponding numbers above each letter.  Give it a go!

Let’s get started!

Hello again, code cracker! I hope you are ready to tackle another exciting number code cracking worksheet! As well as getting you to focus on finding the number codes for words, we are also going to be working on developing your vocabulary, so hopefully, you'll learn some new words!

Right then, here we go...

If the code for GREAT is 39172, what is the code for EAGER?

How did you get on with the last question, code cracker? I hope the explanation helped! Remember to use your handy hint and write out the code above the words to help you check which number corresponds to which letter. This will really help with the longer words!

OK, here's the next question:

If the code for GORGEOUS RING is 72371290 3457, what is the code for RIGOROUS?

Brilliant stuff, code cracker! Remember that we are working out longer codes in this worksheet, so don't worry if you haven't got them correct so far. Practice ensures progress!

So, if the code for COLD APPLES is 1729 455268, then what is the code for COLLAPSE?

OK, code cracker, you are making brilliant progress! Now let's keep going..

If the code for BRITISH DUKE is 6249471 3038, then what is the code for DISTURB?

Guess what, code cracker? We are halfway! Wahoo!

Let's keep focused for a little bit longer...

If the code for COUNT RIOTS is 62417 30275, then what is the code for CURIOUS?

Can you believe you are over halfway, code cracker? That's amazing progress!

So, let's keep the energy going right until the end!

Our next code is for BRUTAL TIME and it is 673142 1890. Using this, can you work out the code for BITTER?

OK, then code cracker, in the run up to the end of the worksheet I think I am going to ask you to work out some longer codes. Don't panic, I know you are on your way to superstar status!

OK, so if the code for TRICKY NAME is 624179 5308, then what is the code for ECCENTRIC?

We are three questions away from the end, code cracker. That's brilliant work! 

Remember to try and stay focused all the way to the end of the worksheet.

Think of a candle - it flickers, doesn't it? So, if the code for CLICKING FILTER is 61267298 021534, then what is the code for FLICKER?

Can you believe that you are only two questions from the end, code cracker? I am so impressed with your hard work!

Right, let's go! 

If the code for BLAME RUSS is 62173 9400, then what is the code for RUMBLES?

You've made it to the final question, code cracker! What brilliant progress you have made! Well done!

So, to finish: if the code for EXCELLENT DIET is 341399327 8037, then what is the code for EXCITED?

• Question 1

Hello again, code cracker! I hope you are ready to tackle another exciting number code cracking worksheet! As well as getting you to focus on finding the number codes for words, we are also going to be working on developing your vocabulary, so hopefully, you'll learn some new words!

Right then, here we go...

If the code for GREAT is 39172, what is the code for EAGER?

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
How did you get on with this one, code cracker? I think I started with a relatively straightforward one. Let's go through it. We know that the code for GREAT is 39172. All of the letters in the word EAGER are in the word GREAT. So, we need to work out the number for each letter, which goes as follows: E = 1 A = 7 G = 3 E = 1 R = 9 So, the code for EAGER is 17319!
  • Question 2

How did you get on with the last question, code cracker? I hope the explanation helped! Remember to use your handy hint and write out the code above the words to help you check which number corresponds to which letter. This will really help with the longer words!

OK, here's the next question:

If the code for GORGEOUS RING is 72371290 3457, what is the code for RIGOROUS?

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
This was a slightly longer code to work out, wasn't it code cracker? If you used the handy hint, then that will definitely have made things easier! So, if we write out the words GORGEOUS RING and the code you have been given, then we can work out which numbers we need for the word RIGOROUS as follows: R = 3 I = 4 G = 7 O = 2 R = 3 O = 2 U = 9 S = 0 So, the code for RIGOROUS (which means to be very thorough and careful) is 34723290!
  • Question 3

Brilliant stuff, code cracker! Remember that we are working out longer codes in this worksheet, so don't worry if you haven't got them correct so far. Practice ensures progress!

So, if the code for COLD APPLES is 1729 455268, then what is the code for COLLAPSE?

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
I hope you are still using the handy hint to help you, code cracker! Let's use the same technique to work out the answer here. We know that the phrase COLD APPLES contains all the letters that we need to work out the code for COLLAPSE, we just need to know which number corresponds to which letter. If we write out the code, we can see the following: C = 1 O = 7 L = 2 L = 2 A = 4 P = 5 S = 8 E = 6 If we put it all together, we see that the code for COLLAPSE is 17224586!
  • Question 4

OK, code cracker, you are making brilliant progress! Now let's keep going..

If the code for BRITISH DUKE is 6249471 3038, then what is the code for DISTURB?

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
Sorry to DISTURB, code cracker, but we need to go through this now! So, we use the same technique as always: use the handy hint! Write out the words and the code to help you work out which number corresponds with which letter. So, we see the following: D = 3 I = 4 S = 7 T = 9 U = 0 R = 2 B = 6 So. the code for DISTURB is 3479026!
  • Question 5

Guess what, code cracker? We are halfway! Wahoo!

Let's keep focused for a little bit longer...

If the code for COUNT RIOTS is 62417 30275, then what is the code for CURIOUS?

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
Right then, code cracker, let's see if we can work out how we get to this answer! We obviously use the same technique as always. If we do, we get the following: C = 6 U = 4 R = 3 I = 0 O = 2 U = 4 S = 5 So, the code for CURIOUS is 6430245. And we're ready for another question!
  • Question 6

Can you believe you are over halfway, code cracker? That's amazing progress!

So, let's keep the energy going right until the end!

Our next code is for BRUTAL TIME and it is 673142 1890. Using this, can you work out the code for BITTER?

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
Great stuff, code cracker! I hope you are getting the hang of things, but don't worry if you still need the explanations - that's what I'm here for! So, if we use our usual technique then we see the following: B = 6 I = 8 T = 1 T = 1 E = 0 R = 7 So, the code for BITTER is 681107!
  • Question 7

OK, then code cracker, in the run up to the end of the worksheet I think I am going to ask you to work out some longer codes. Don't panic, I know you are on your way to superstar status!

OK, so if the code for TRICKY NAME is 624179 5308, then what is the code for ECCENTRIC?

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
Do you know what ECCENTRIC means, code cracker? It means a bit strange. I think some of the best people are ECCENTRIC! So, we need to use our usual technique. When we do, we see that: E = 8 C = 1 C = 1 E = 8 N = 5 T = 6 R = 2 I = 4 C = 1 So, the code for ECCENTRIC is 811856241!
  • Question 8

We are three questions away from the end, code cracker. That's brilliant work! 

Remember to try and stay focused all the way to the end of the worksheet.

Think of a candle - it flickers, doesn't it? So, if the code for CLICKING FILTER is 61267298 021534, then what is the code for FLICKER?

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
I hope you used the handy hint and our usual technique, code cracker! The more you practise, the easier it will become. If you did, you will have seen that: F = 0 L = 1 I = 2 C = 6 K = 7 E = 3 R = 4 So, the code for FLICKER is 0126734!
  • Question 9

Can you believe that you are only two questions from the end, code cracker? I am so impressed with your hard work!

Right, let's go! 

If the code for BLAME RUSS is 62173 9400, then what is the code for RUMBLES?

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
Are you feeling more confident now that you are getting to the end of the worksheet, code cracker? Remember that you can always have another go at it to make sure you that you feel really happy with how this number code cracking business works! Make sure you use our usual technique for this question: write out the words and write out the code above them so that it is easier to see which number corresponds to which letter. If we do that, we should see the following: R = 9 U = 4 M = 7 B = 6 L = 2 E = 3 S = 0 Which means that the code for RUMBLES is 9476230!
  • Question 10

You've made it to the final question, code cracker! What brilliant progress you have made! Well done!

So, to finish: if the code for EXCELLENT DIET is 341399327 8037, then what is the code for EXCITED?

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
You've done such a great job, code cracker! I hope this worksheet has helped you to feel a bit more confident working with longer codes and more advanced vocabulary. Don't be afraid to have another go at it if you're feeling unsure about anything: my motto is that practice ensures progress! So, we know that all the letters in the word EXCITED are contained in the phrase EXCELLENT DIET. Therefore, we can work out the code for EXCITED as follows: E = 3 X = 4 C = 1 I = 0 T = 7 E = 3 D = 8 So, our final code is 3410738!
---- OR ----

Sign up for a £1 trial so you can track and measure your child's progress on this activity.

What is EdPlace?

We're your National Curriculum aligned online education content provider helping each child succeed in English, maths and science from year 1 to GCSE. With an EdPlace account you’ll be able to track and measure progress, helping each child achieve their best. We build confidence and attainment by personalising each child’s learning at a level that suits them.

Start your £1 trial

Start your trial for £1