The smart way to improve grades

Comprehensive & curriculum aligned

Affordable pricing from £10/month

Apply existing number codes to spell new words

In this worksheet, students will turn words into number codes using words with similar codes as a base. It will develop their encoding and problem solving skills.

'Apply existing number codes to spell new words' worksheet

Key stage:  KS 2

Curriculum topic:  Verbal Reasoning

Curriculum subtopic:  Number Code Breaking

Difficulty level:  

down

Worksheet Overview

QUESTION 1 of 10

Hi there code cracker!

Today we are going to learn about a new type of code.

When you turn a word into code, each letter can be represented by a number.

Let’s look at a question together:

If FLOWER is 785901, then WOLF is ____

You may have noticed that the word WOLF contains the same letters as the word FLOWER.

So the answer can be worked out by using the code introduced by the example word.

The W in FLOWER is 9 (W=9).

The O in FLOWER is 5 (O=5).

The L in FLOWER is 8 (L=8).

The F in FLOWER is 7 (F=7).

So WOLF is 9587 in code.

Let’s try another:

If the code for DINOSAUR is 51372894, then AROUND is ____

The word DINOSAUR contains the same letters as AROUND, so we can use this to work out the new code.

So the code for AROUND is 847935.

In this activity, you will be a code cracker and change words into number codes. Make a note of the number that matches each letter; you may want to create your own grid to help with this.

Pssstt!! Here’s a handy hint to help you reach superstar status:

It can be really helpful to write the word out and then write the corresponding numbers above each letter.  Give it a go!

Let’s get started!

Hey there, code cracker! Are you ready for another number code cracking challenge? Let's go!

First, we're going to the mountains!

If the code for Mathematical is 172931724675, then what is the code for CHALET?

You will have noticed that we are dealing with some slightly longer words this time, code cracker. That's because this is a higher level worksheet and I know you are ready for the challenge! Don't be put off if the words seem challenging - you can do it!

We're thinking about vegetables now, code cracker!

If the code for CAULIFLOWER is 72918314560, then what is the code for CALLER?

You are doing brilliantly so far, code cracker! Managing these longer words is not always easy so you should feel very proud of yourself.

So, the code for SPECIAL DATE is 4327691 0952. What is the code for PESTICIDE?

On to the next, then, code cracker! The theme is animals, this time!

If the code for RIGHT PEN is 64359 028, what is the code for TIGER?

So, code cracker, we are on to another question and you have done brilliantly so far!

If the code for MYSTERY DAY is 9146521 731, then what is the code for YESTERDAY?

You are over halfway now, code cracker. Great stuff!

So, let's try another one: if the code for WALT DISNEY is 2438 907516, what is the code for WEDNESDAY?

OK - on to another, code cracker! You are really working hard at these longer words, so well done!

If the code for SPECIAL is 2734150, what is the code for LACES?

It's time to get thinking about food again, code cracker! You have been asked to cook for a party...!

If the code for CREATIVE CODE is 30126571 3891, what is the code for CATERED?

You've done brilliantly so far, code cracker - well done!

So, if the code for NICE GARBAGE is 1034 7295274, what is the code for BINBAG?

You've made it, code cracker, brilliant stuff! So, let's do our very best to get the final code correct...

If the code for DARK LINE is 8916 7235, what is the code for LINKED?

• Question 1

Hey there, code cracker! Are you ready for another number code cracking challenge? Let's go!

First, we're going to the mountains!

If the code for Mathematical is 172931724675, then what is the code for CHALET?

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
MATHEMATICAL is quite a long word, code cracker, so I would definitely use the handy hint here to help you: write out the word and then write the number code above or below it so that it is clear which number corresponds with which letter. I certainly had to do that when I was working this one out! So, we know the code for MATHEMATICAL and from this we can work out the following: The C in MATHEMATICAL is 6. The H in MATHEMATICAL is 9. The A in MATHEMATICAL is 7. The L in MATHEMATICAL is 5. The E in MATHEMATICAL is 3. The T in MATHEMATICAL is 2. So, the code for CHALET must be 697532.
  • Question 2

You will have noticed that we are dealing with some slightly longer words this time, code cracker. That's because this is a higher level worksheet and I know you are ready for the challenge! Don't be put off if the words seem challenging - you can do it!

We're thinking about vegetables now, code cracker!

If the code for CAULIFLOWER is 72918314560, then what is the code for CALLER?

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
What are your thoughts on CAULIFLOWER, code cracker? It's not one of my favourite veggies, I must admit...! So, now that we know what the code for CAULIFLOWER is, we can work out the code for CALLER because all of the letters can be found in the word CAULIFLOWER. So we see that: The C in CAULIFLOWER is 7. The A in CAULIFLOWER is 2. The L in CAULIFLOWER is 1. (Remember we would use this twice in a row as there are to 'L's in CALLER) The E in CAULIFLOWER is 6. The R in CAULIFLOWER is 0. So, we know that the code for CALLER must be 721160. Remember that there are two 'L's in CALLER, so we would use the number 1 twice in a row. Great work, code cracker!
  • Question 3

You are doing brilliantly so far, code cracker! Managing these longer words is not always easy so you should feel very proud of yourself.

So, the code for SPECIAL DATE is 4327691 0952. What is the code for PESTICIDE?

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
How did you get on with this one, code cracker? I would definitely recommend continuing to write out the word with the code above or beneath it so you can work out which number corresponds with which letter more easily. So, knowing the code for SPECIAL DATE, means that we can work out the code for PESTICIDE as follows: The P in SPECIAL DATE is 3. The E in SPECIAL DATE is 2. The S in SPECIAL DATE is 4. The T in SPECIAL DATE is 5. The I in SPECIAL DATE is 6. The C in SPECIAL DATE is 7. The I in SPECIAL DATE is 6. The D in SPECIAL DATE is 0. The E in SPECIAL DATE is 2. So if we put it together, we know that the code for PESTICIDE is 324567602.
  • Question 4

On to the next, then, code cracker! The theme is animals, this time!

If the code for RIGHT PEN is 64359 028, what is the code for TIGER?

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
Can you see how we got to this answer, code cracker? Don't worry if not - I'm here to help! So, we need to use the same technique as always and write out the number code and the word for which it is the code to work out which letter corresponds to which number. If we do that, we can see the following: The T in RIGHT PEN = 9. The I in RIGHT PEN = 4. The G in RIGHT PEN = 3. The E in RIGHT PEN = 2. The R in RIGHT PEN = 6. So the code for TIGER is 94326.
  • Question 5

So, code cracker, we are on to another question and you have done brilliantly so far!

If the code for MYSTERY DAY is 9146521 731, then what is the code for YESTERDAY?

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
I hope you're finding that this is getting a bit easier now, code cracker. If we keep practising, you will definitely be able to master this! So, because we know the code for MYSTERY DAY, we can work out the code for YESTERDAY, as they contain the same letters: The Y in MYSTERY DAY is 1. The E in MYSTERY DAY is 5. The S in MYSTERY DAY is 4. The T in MYSTERY DAY is 6. The E in MYSTERY DAY is 5. The R in MYSTERY DAY is 2. The D in MYSTERY DAY is 7. The A in MYSTERY DAY is 3. The Y in MYSTERY DAY is 1. So the code for YESTERDAY must be 154652731. P.S. With this one, you might also have spotted that the last three letters of YESTERDAY spell the word DAY and we know that the code for DAY is 731, so you could have just used this without having to go through each of the three letters individually. Don't be afraid to use shortcuts if you spot them!
  • Question 6

You are over halfway now, code cracker. Great stuff!

So, let's try another one: if the code for WALT DISNEY is 2438 907516, what is the code for WEDNESDAY?

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
Did you manage this one, code cracker? Remember to keep writing out the words and codes to help you! As ever, all of the letters in WEDNESDAY can be found in WALT DISNEY, so we can work out the code from that: The W in WALT DISNEY is 2. The E in WALT DISNEY is 1. The D in WALT DISNEY is 9. The N in WALT DISNEY is 5. The E in WALT DISNEY is 1. The S in WALT DISNEY is 7. The D in WALT DISNEY is 9. The A in WALT DISNEY is 4. The Y in WALT DISNEY is 6. So, if we put the numbers together we see that the code for WEDNESDAY is 219517946!
  • Question 7

OK - on to another, code cracker! You are really working hard at these longer words, so well done!

If the code for SPECIAL is 2734150, what is the code for LACES?

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
This one feels a little bit simpler, doesn't it? The words are a bit shorter, that is why! So, if we know the code for SPECIAL is 2734150, then we can work out the code for LACES: The L in SPECIAL is 0. The A in SPECIAL is 5 The C in SPECIAL is 4. The E in SPECIAL is 3. The S in SPECIAL is 2. When the put the numbers together we find out that the code for LACES is 05432!
  • Question 8

It's time to get thinking about food again, code cracker! You have been asked to cook for a party...!

If the code for CREATIVE CODE is 30126571 3891, what is the code for CATERED?

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
What did you make for the party, code cracker? I hope it was delicious! Right, this one is quite a straightforward one. As usual, all of the letters in CATERED can be found in CREATIVE CODE - which we already have the code for. Hurrah! So, we can work it out as follows: The C in CREATIVE CODE is 3. The A in CREATIVE CODE is 2. The T in CREATIVE CODE is 6. The E in CREATIVE CODE is 1. The R in CREATIVE CODE is 0. The E in CREATIVE CODE is 1. The D in CREATIVE CODE is 9. So, the code for CATERED must be 3261019. Brilliant work, code cracker, we are almost at the end of the worksheet!
  • Question 9

You've done brilliantly so far, code cracker - well done!

So, if the code for NICE GARBAGE is 1034 7295274, what is the code for BINBAG?

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
We're nearly at the end, code cracker! Did you work this one out? All of the letters in the word BINBAG can be found in the words NICE GARBAGE. Make sure you write out the words and the code to help you - it will make things so much easier! So, we can see that: The B in NICE GARBAGE is 5. The I in NICE GARBAGE is 0. The N in NICE GARBAGE is 1. The B in NICE GARBAGE is 5. The A in NICE GARBAGE is 2. The G in NICE GARBAGE is 7. So, the code for BINBAG is 501527!
  • Question 10

You've made it, code cracker, brilliant stuff! So, let's do our very best to get the final code correct...

If the code for DARK LINE is 8916 7235, what is the code for LINKED?

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
Well done, code cracker! Let's just make sure you are really clear on how we got the right answer here. We know the code for DARK LINE and all the letters in the word LINKED can be found in this phrase. So, we work out the code for LINKED as follows: The L in DARK LINE is 7. The I in DARK LINE is 2. The N in DARK LINE is 3. The K in DARK LINE is 6. The E in DARK LINE is 5. The D in DARK LINE is 8. So, the code for LINKED must be 723658. Well done on another cracking worksheet, code cracker!
---- OR ----

Sign up for a £1 trial so you can track and measure your child's progress on this activity.

What is EdPlace?

We're your National Curriculum aligned online education content provider helping each child succeed in English, maths and science from year 1 to GCSE. With an EdPlace account you’ll be able to track and measure progress, helping each child achieve their best. We build confidence and attainment by personalising each child’s learning at a level that suits them.

Start your £1 trial

Start your trial for £1