The smart way to improve grades

Comprehensive & curriculum aligned

Affordable pricing from £10/month

Sentence Structure: Commas and Subordinate Clauses 1

In this worksheet, students practise adding commas to subordinate clauses in complex sentences.

'Sentence Structure: Commas and Subordinate Clauses 1' worksheet

Key stage:  KS 2

Curriculum topic:  English

Curriculum subtopic:  Punctuation: Commas, Hyphens, Parentheses & Dashes

Difficulty level:  

Worksheet Overview

QUESTION 1 of 10

A complex sentence contains a main clause and a subordinate clause.

In the following sentence the subordinate clause splits the main clause into two parts.

Dad, who was wearing his red shirt, loaded the beach gear into the car.

The main clause makes sense on its own.

The subordinate clause gives us more information about Dad, but it does not make sense on its own.

If the subordinate clause splits the main clause into two parts in this way, we need to put commas on either side to make the sentence easier to read and understand.

The comma always comes straight after the word, with no space. There is one space between the comma and the following word.

Put commas around the subordinate clause in this sentence to make it easier to read.

Remember to put the comma straight after the word each time, with no space.

Charlie who is my brother likes playing football.

Put commas around the subordinate clause in this sentence to make it easier to read.

Mr Jones who is my favourite teacher never gives us homework.

My new bicycle which was very expensive is kept in the garage.

Amir who is my best friend is coming to tea today.

My sister who is called Freya is only six.

Janey who was chosen to play Cinderella in the school production is a really good actress.

The new girl who looked very shy sat at the back of the room.

Karen who is the youngest in my family is very spoilt.

My parrot who is red and green can say lots of words.

Jimmy who is very good at maths came top in the test.

• Question 1

Remember to put the comma straight after the word each time, with no space.

Charlie who is my brother likes playing football.

CORRECT ANSWER
Charlie, who is my brother, likes playing football.
EDDIE SAYS
Great effort! \'Who is my brother\' is the subordinate clause. It doesn\'t make sense on its own. If we take this information out the rest of the sentence still makes sense. We put commas around it to show we know it is the subordinate clause.
  • Question 2

Mr Jones who is my favourite teacher never gives us homework.

CORRECT ANSWER
Mr Jones, who is my favourite teacher, never gives us homework.
EDDIE SAYS
Good job. Read through the sentence and think about what the extra information is? Which group of words can be taken out without changing the meaning of the sentence. \'Who is my favourite teacher\' is the subordinate clause, so we need to put commas around it.
  • Question 3

My new bicycle which was very expensive is kept in the garage.

CORRECT ANSWER
My new bicycle, which was very expensive, is kept in the garage.
EDDIE SAYS
You got this! Just remember a subordinate clause is extra information about the subject. It can be taken out of the sentence and it would still make sense. \'Which is very expensive\' is the subordinate clause.
  • Question 4

Amir who is my best friend is coming to tea today.

CORRECT ANSWER
Amir, who is my best friend, is coming to tea today.
EDDIE SAYS
Did you get it right? \'Who is my best friend\' is the subordinate clause as it can be taken out of the sentence without changing the meaning. Keep it up!
  • Question 5

My sister who is called Freya is only six.

CORRECT ANSWER
My sister, who is called Freya, is only six.
EDDIE SAYS
\'Who is called Freya\' is extra information, we do not need to know this to understand the point of the sentence. It is extra information that depends on the rest of the sentence to make sense so it is the subordinate clause.
  • Question 6

Janey who was chosen to play Cinderella in the school production is a really good actress.

CORRECT ANSWER
Janey, who was chosen to play Cinderella in the school production, is a really good actress.
EDDIE SAYS
Getting the hang of this now? \'Who was chosen to play Cinderella in the school production\' is the subordinate clause.
  • Question 7

The new girl who looked very shy sat at the back of the room.

CORRECT ANSWER
The new girl, who looked very shy, sat at the back of the room.
EDDIE SAYS
You got this! Look for the extra information. \'Who looked very shy\' is the subordinate clause, so you need to use commas to separate it.
  • Question 8

Karen who is the youngest in my family is very spoilt.

CORRECT ANSWER
Karen, who is the youngest in my family, is very spoilt.
EDDIE SAYS
How you doing? Just remember a subordinate clause is extra information that can be taken out of the sentence without changing the meaning of the main sentence. \'Who is the youngest in my family\' is the subordinate clause.
  • Question 9

My parrot who is red and green can say lots of words.

CORRECT ANSWER
My parrot, who is red and green, can say lots of words.
EDDIE SAYS
Super effort! \'Who is red and green\' is the subordinate clause.
  • Question 10

Jimmy who is very good at maths came top in the test.

CORRECT ANSWER
Jimmy, who is very good at maths, came top in the test.
EDDIE SAYS
Which part of the sentence can be removed without changing the meaning. \'Who is very good at maths\' tells us extra information about the subject (Jimmy), however it can be removed from the sentence without changing the main point. Jimmy came top in the test. \'Who is very good at maths\' is the subordinate clause so requires commas around it.
---- OR ----

Sign up for a £1 trial so you can track and measure your child's progress on this activity.

What is EdPlace?

We're your National Curriculum aligned online education content provider helping each child succeed in English, maths and science from year 1 to GCSE. With an EdPlace account you’ll be able to track and measure progress, helping each child achieve their best. We build confidence and attainment by personalising each child’s learning at a level that suits them.

Get started
laptop

Start your £1 trial today.
Subscribe from £10/month.