The smart way to improve grades

Comprehensive & curriculum aligned

Affordable pricing from £10/month

Understand the Writing Genre of Traditional Stories

In this worksheet, students will better their familiarity with a specific genre of writing; traditional tales. Students will be asked to answer a range of questions based on a traditional tale.

'Understand the Writing Genre of Traditional Stories' worksheet

Key stage:  KS 2

Curriculum topic:   Reading: Comprehension

Curriculum subtopic:   Increase Range of Texts

Difficulty level:  

Worksheet Overview

QUESTION 1 of 10

In this activity, you will become more familiar with a traditional story and how to answer questions about it.

What is a traditional story?

A traditional story is a popular story that has been told many times over a number of years.

Sometimes a traditional story can be referred to as a fairy tale.

Examples of traditional tales are: 'Jack and the Beanstalk' or 'Cinderella'.

Top tips when answering questions about a text:

First of all, read through the text twice.

If you reach a word with a capital letter that you don't understand, it will be the name of something/ someone, move on.

If you reach a word you don't know the meaning of, read around the sentence for clues to help you to understand it.

When you are asked to give evidence in an answer, always use words/ key phrases from the text to back up your opinion.

You don't have to answer the questions in order, if you find a tricky one, just move on, you can always return to it later!

Remember that reading comprehension is not a memory test, all of the information you need to answer the question will be within the text.

This activity will be based upon the traditional tale of 'Rumpelstiltskin'.

A long time ago, there lived a humble shepherd and his gentle daughter. She was very talented at spinning wool and one day when the king passed through their village he applauded her talent! 

The shepherd, being delighted that the King had complimented his daughter, became boastful and exclaimed, 'That is nothing, your majesty! My daughter can spin straw into gold!'

How do you think the shepherd's daughter felt when she heard her father say she could turn straw into gold?

Shocked

Delighted

Pleased

Relieved

The King was amazed that the girl could do such a thing! He was also incredibly materialistic; he told the shepherd to bring his daughter to the palace. "If she can indeed spin gold, I shall do no less than make her my Queen!" proclaimed the King.

The girl was locked into a vast room in the palace and instructed to spin a mountain of straw into gold by dawn.

Can you match the vocabulary from the passage with the correct meaning below?

Column A

Column B

Materialistic =
immense size
Proclaimed =
to announce
Instructed =
excessively concerned with material things
Vast =
tell or order someone to do something

With the click of the lock of the door, the girl broke down and sobbed profusely. 

What does the word 'profusely' mean? Choose the correct option below.

In small amountsIn normal amountsNot at allIn large amounts
What does the word 'profusely' mean?

The girl felt despair, how on earth could she spin a whole room of straw into gold overnight?

Just as she had given up all hope, a strange, little man appeared.

"I can help you!" he declared. "Give me your necklace and I will do it all for you."

Read the following options below, what do you predict will happen next?

The girl runs away from the strange, little man

The girl readily accepts the man's help

The girl ignores him and continues to cry

The girl calls for help from the King

"Thank you, thank you, thank you!" squealed the girl. She couldn't believe her luck!

She swiftly handed over her necklace and the man began to spin.

He spun until every last piece of straw was transformed into glittering, shining gold.

The King was amazed when he saw the gleaming room, he then announced, "tonight you must spin even more gold!"

How do you think the girl felt when the King told her she would have to spin more gold that night?

That same night, the King led the poor girl into an even larger room full of straw and commanded her to again transform it into gold.

Once again, the girl cried and cried until the strange, little man appeared before her.

"Worry not!" he exclaimed. "I will create the gold you need, but first give me your scarf."

Can you complete the blank spaces below to show you have understood this passage?

Yet again, the man created piles of precious gold, all from a mound of straw!

The King was truly astonished but due to his greedy nature, commanded the girl to spin even more gold that night!

The King told the girl that if she managed to complete her task for the third time, she would have passed the challenge and be rewarded.

What do you think her reward will be?

To become Queen

To be allowed to go home

To be named chief spinner

To keep some of the gold

The girl was shaking with worry as the King locked her into an enormous room, full to the ceiling with straw.

For the third time, the strange, little man appeared before her.

Nervously, the girl wrung her hands, she had nothing left to give to him in return for his help.

It was as though he could read her mind, "Don't worry if you have nothing to give me now, if I have to help you again, you must give me your firstborn child instead".

Can you choose the word below that you could use instead of 'nervously'?

Firmly

Quietly

Proudly

Anxiously

The girl was shaking with worry as the King locked her into an enormous room, full to the ceiling with straw.

Nervously, the girl wrung her hands, she had nothing left to give to him in return for his help.

It was as though he could read her mind, "Don't worry if you have nothing to give me now if I have to help you again, you have to give me your firstborn child instead".

Look carefully at the first sentence of this passage, which phrase shows that the girl was anxious?

The girl was shaking with worry

The King locked her into an enormous room

The girl agreed to the man's latest deal and hoped she would never have to fulfil it.

For the last time, he set to work spinning and transformed the gigantic room into a cavern of gold.

The King was delighted and at once made the girl his wife and Queen.

A year or so later, she gave birth to their beautiful, baby boy.

Out of nowhere, appeared the strange, little man, "now give me what you promised".

The Queen begged him not to take her precious son and offered him all of the riches in the land.

The man refused and set the Queen a new challenge!

He told her she had 3 days to guess his name; if she could guess it correctly, she could keep her son!

How do you think the Queen felt after the man's visit?

• Question 1

A long time ago, there lived a humble shepherd and his gentle daughter. She was very talented at spinning wool and one day when the king passed through their village he applauded her talent! 

The shepherd, being delighted that the King had complimented his daughter, became boastful and exclaimed, 'That is nothing, your majesty! My daughter can spin straw into gold!'

How do you think the shepherd's daughter felt when she heard her father say she could turn straw into gold?

CORRECT ANSWER
Shocked
EDDIE SAYS
The shepherd's daughter felt shocked because as you probably guessed, she hadn't ever spun straw into gold! Her skill lay in spinning wool!
  • Question 2

The King was amazed that the girl could do such a thing! He was also incredibly materialistic; he told the shepherd to bring his daughter to the palace. "If she can indeed spin gold, I shall do no less than make her my Queen!" proclaimed the King.

The girl was locked into a vast room in the palace and instructed to spin a mountain of straw into gold by dawn.

Can you match the vocabulary from the passage with the correct meaning below?

CORRECT ANSWER

Column A

Column B

Materialistic =
excessively concerned with materi...
Proclaimed =
to announce
Instructed =
tell or order someone to do somet...
Vast =
immense size
EDDIE SAYS
Reading a new text is a fantastic way to learn new vocabulary. Each time you read a new text, why not try to remember one new word that you can then include in your own writing to impress?
  • Question 3

With the click of the lock of the door, the girl broke down and sobbed profusely. 

What does the word 'profusely' mean? Choose the correct option below.

CORRECT ANSWER
 In small amountsIn normal amountsNot at allIn large amounts
What does the word 'profusely' mean?
EDDIE SAYS
When you reach a word you don't understand, look at the rest of the sentence for clues. You may have guessed that the girl was very upset by the impossible task she had been asked to complete, therefore 'profusely' shows that she cried a lot.
  • Question 4

The girl felt despair, how on earth could she spin a whole room of straw into gold overnight?

Just as she had given up all hope, a strange, little man appeared.

"I can help you!" he declared. "Give me your necklace and I will do it all for you."

Read the following options below, what do you predict will happen next?

CORRECT ANSWER
The girl readily accepts the man's help
EDDIE SAYS
How did you find this prediction question? The correct answer is that the girl readily accepted help from the strange, little man. She was too scared to tell the King the truth and was desperate to find a way to please him.
  • Question 5

"Thank you, thank you, thank you!" squealed the girl. She couldn't believe her luck!

She swiftly handed over her necklace and the man began to spin.

He spun until every last piece of straw was transformed into glittering, shining gold.

The King was amazed when he saw the gleaming room, he then announced, "tonight you must spin even more gold!"

How do you think the girl felt when the King told her she would have to spin more gold that night?

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
The girl felt absolutely horrified and worried. She had gotten away with covering up the fact she couldn't actually spin straw to gold because the mysterious man had helped her. But she didn't know how to find the man to ask him to help her again.
  • Question 6

That same night, the King led the poor girl into an even larger room full of straw and commanded her to again transform it into gold.

Once again, the girl cried and cried until the strange, little man appeared before her.

"Worry not!" he exclaimed. "I will create the gold you need, but first give me your scarf."

Can you complete the blank spaces below to show you have understood this passage?

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
How did you get on with this question? The passage should read as: Yet again, the king demanded that the girl turn straw into gold. The girl's reaction was to cry profusely. Soon, the mysterious man appeared and agreed to help her again in return for her scarf. Great focus, you're beyond halfway!
  • Question 7

Yet again, the man created piles of precious gold, all from a mound of straw!

The King was truly astonished but due to his greedy nature, commanded the girl to spin even more gold that night!

The King told the girl that if she managed to complete her task for the third time, she would have passed the challenge and be rewarded.

What do you think her reward will be?

CORRECT ANSWER
To become Queen
EDDIE SAYS
As the King promised earlier in the story, if the girl could spin straw to gold, she would be allowed to become his Queen.
  • Question 8

It was as though he could read her mind, "Don't worry if you have nothing to give me now, if I have to help you again, you must give me your firstborn child instead".

Can you choose the word below that you could use instead of 'nervously'?

CORRECT ANSWER
Anxiously
EDDIE SAYS
A synonym for the adverb 'nervously' is 'anxiously'. It's important to use synonyms to add variety to what we are reading and writing, it makes the reader more interested.
  • Question 9

It was as though he could read her mind, "Don't worry if you have nothing to give me now if I have to help you again, you have to give me your firstborn child instead".

Look carefully at the first sentence of this passage, which phrase shows that the girl was anxious?

CORRECT ANSWER
The girl was shaking with worry
EDDIE SAYS
The opening words of the passage describe how worried the girl felt, "the girl was shaking with worry..." She clearly felt so anxious that even her body had begun to react to how she felt.
  • Question 10

The girl agreed to the man's latest deal and hoped she would never have to fulfil it.

For the last time, he set to work spinning and transformed the gigantic room into a cavern of gold.

The King was delighted and at once made the girl his wife and Queen.

A year or so later, she gave birth to their beautiful, baby boy.

Out of nowhere, appeared the strange, little man, "now give me what you promised".

The Queen begged him not to take her precious son and offered him all of the riches in the land.

The man refused and set the Queen a new challenge!

He told her she had 3 days to guess his name; if she could guess it correctly, she could keep her son!

How do you think the Queen felt after the man's visit?

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
The Queen felt terrified that she may lose the thing most precious to her in the whole world, her baby boy! However, she also had a glimmer of hope because if she could correctly guess the man's name, she would keep her boy safely with her.
Try it ---- OR ----

Sign up for a £1 trial so you can track and measure your child's progress on this activity.

What is EdPlace?

We're your National Curriculum aligned online education content provider helping each child succeed in English, maths and science from year 1 to GCSE. With an EdPlace account you’ll be able to track and measure progress, helping each child achieve their best. We build confidence and attainment by personalising each child’s learning at a level that suits them.

Get started
laptop

Start your £1 trial today.
Subscribe from £10/month.