The smart way to improve grades

Comprehensive & curriculum aligned

Affordable pricing from £10/month

Use Knowledge of Morphology to Help Spell Words 2

In this worksheet, students use their knowledge of the structure of words to help them with more challenging spellings.

'Use Knowledge of Morphology to Help Spell Words 2' worksheet

Key stage:  KS 2

Curriculum topic:   Writing: Transcription

Curriculum subtopic:   Spelling Awareness (use knowledge of morphology and etymology in spelling)

Difficulty level:  

Worksheet Overview

QUESTION 1 of 10

Morphology is the study of the structure of words, or how they are built up. If we know how a word is formed, it can help us to understand its meaning and how to spell it.

Sometimes the meaning of a word can be more helpful than how it sounds when we are working out how to spell it. Look at the following sentence.

There was a southerly wind, so they sailed home quickly.

The word southerly contains the root word south even though it is pronounced differently. If we know this we can simply add the suffixes -er and -ly to spell the whole word.

Now look at this sentence.

There was a lot of media publicity when the Queen visited our school.

The word publicity sounds like it should be spelt publisity, but it is based on the root word public. Knowing this helps us to spell it properly.

In this worksheet you can practise spelling words that are based on a root word but may be pronounced differently.

Choose the correct spelling of the missing word in the following sentence.

My sister's boyfriend is a __________ and he plays in a band.

Think about the root word!

musitian

musishun

musician

Again, choose the correct spelling of the missing word. Think about the root word that it is based on.

Jamilla is on our school council and she wants to be a __________ when she grows up.

polititian

politishun

politician

Think about the root word and choose the correct spelling of the missing word in this sentence.

My little brother hates taking his cough __________.

medicine

medisine

Again, use the root word to help you choose the correct spelling of the missing word.

The cottage had no __________ so we had to use candles.

electricity

electrisity

What is the correct spelling this time?

My auntie has got four __________.

chilldren

children

Choose the correct spelling of the missing word.

The manager came in for a lot of __________ after his team lost four games in a row.

critisism

criticism

Choose the correct spelling.

My nanna gets a lot of __________ from reading historical books.

plessure

pleasure

plesure

Sometimes the root word becomes easier to spell when prefixes or suffixes are added. For example, it can be hard to remember the silent n in the word autumn, but when we say that the weather is autumnal we pronounce the n clearly.

Look carefully at the word signature.

Now choose the correct spelling of the missing word in the following sentence.

Amir __________ his name at the bottom of the letter.

sined

signed

Look at the word muscular and then choose the correct spelling of the missing word in the sentence.

My brother pulled a __________ in his leg during sports day.

mussle

muscle

Look at the word condemnation and then choose the correct spelling of the missing word in the following sentence.

The old building was __________ because its roof was dangerous.

condemned

condemmed

• Question 1

Choose the correct spelling of the missing word in the following sentence.

My sister's boyfriend is a __________ and he plays in a band.

Think about the root word!

CORRECT ANSWER
musician
EDDIE SAYS
High five! The word musician is based on the root word music, so it is spelt with c even though the ending sounds like shun.
  • Question 2

Again, choose the correct spelling of the missing word. Think about the root word that it is based on.

Jamilla is on our school council and she wants to be a __________ when she grows up.

CORRECT ANSWER
politician
EDDIE SAYS
The root word is politic, so the correct spelling is politician, even though the ending sounds like shun. Brilliant effort!
  • Question 3

Think about the root word and choose the correct spelling of the missing word in this sentence.

My little brother hates taking his cough __________.

CORRECT ANSWER
medicine
EDDIE SAYS
Fantastic effort! The word is based on the root word medic, so it needs to be spelt with c even though it sounds like s.
  • Question 4

Again, use the root word to help you choose the correct spelling of the missing word.

The cottage had no __________ so we had to use candles.

CORRECT ANSWER
electricity
EDDIE SAYS
The root word is electric, so the correct spelling is with a c. You've got this!
  • Question 5

What is the correct spelling this time?

My auntie has got four __________.

CORRECT ANSWER
children
EDDIE SAYS
The root word is child, so there is only one l. Keep it up super star!
  • Question 6

Choose the correct spelling of the missing word.

The manager came in for a lot of __________ after his team lost four games in a row.

CORRECT ANSWER
criticism
EDDIE SAYS
You getting the hang of this now? The root word is critic, so c is the correct spelling.
  • Question 7

Choose the correct spelling.

My nanna gets a lot of __________ from reading historical books.

CORRECT ANSWER
pleasure
EDDIE SAYS
This is quite a tricky one. The word pleasure is based on the root word please. Terrific effort!
  • Question 8

Sometimes the root word becomes easier to spell when prefixes or suffixes are added. For example, it can be hard to remember the silent n in the word autumn, but when we say that the weather is autumnal we pronounce the n clearly.

Look carefully at the word signature.

Now choose the correct spelling of the missing word in the following sentence.

Amir __________ his name at the bottom of the letter.

CORRECT ANSWER
signed
EDDIE SAYS
The root word sign has a silent g, but in signature we can hear the g clearly. Remembering this can also help us to spell words such as design and resign. Don't give up you can do this!
  • Question 9

Look at the word muscular and then choose the correct spelling of the missing word in the sentence.

My brother pulled a __________ in his leg during sports day.

CORRECT ANSWER
muscle
EDDIE SAYS
Keep up the great effort! The c in muscle is silent, but we can hear it clearly in the word muscular.
  • Question 10

Look at the word condemnation and then choose the correct spelling of the missing word in the following sentence.

The old building was __________ because its roof was dangerous.

CORRECT ANSWER
condemned
EDDIE SAYS
The n in the root word condemn is silent, but we can hear it clearly in condemnation. High five!
---- OR ----

Sign up for a £1 trial so you can track and measure your child's progress on this activity.

What is EdPlace?

We're your National Curriculum aligned online education content provider helping each child succeed in English, maths and science from year 1 to GCSE. With an EdPlace account you’ll be able to track and measure progress, helping each child achieve their best. We build confidence and attainment by personalising each child’s learning at a level that suits them.

Get started
laptop

Start your £1 trial today.
Subscribe from £10/month.