The smart way to improve grades

Comprehensive & curriculum aligned

Affordable pricing from £10/month

Correct Common Spelling and Grammar Errors

In this worksheet, students proofread sentences for common spelling and grammar errors and then correct them.

Key stage:  KS 3

Curriculum topic:  Writing

Curriculum subtopic:  Use Accurate Grammar, Punctuation and Spelling

Difficulty level:  

NEW! Try our assessments with your £1 trial
down

Here's a preview of the tutorial worksheet your child will complete. Sign up to EdPlace and access 1000s of worksheets that are marked automatically. With an account you can track progress and measure results.

QUESTION 1 of 10

It is very easy to let simple grammar or spelling errors creep into written work, even when you know what the correct version should be.

In this worksheet, you can practise proofreading and correcting sentences that contain basic spelling and grammar errors. If you struggle with any of them you can go back and do the worksheets that deal with those points.

The following sentence contains a mistake. Rewrite the whole sentence correctly in the answer box.

You need to arrive at school by half past eight if your going on the trip.

The following sentence contains a mistake. Rewrite the whole sentence correctly in the answer box.

I could of won the race if I hadn't tripped over my laces.

Rewrite this sentence, correcting two errors.

Philips new trainers had a great affect on his running.

My grandparents are taking my sister and I to there villa in Spain.

If you do'nt practice your violin you won't pass your exam.

I'm not going to except you're excuse for not doing your homework.

The puppy wagged it's tail and bought the ball back to me.

My mums' friend gave me good advise about which subjects to choose for my GCSEs.

Jake and Sarah said they would of come to the cinema with us but there gran is coming to visit them.

Childrens' clothes are on the second floor, next to the lady's shoes department.

• Question 1

You need to arrive at school by half past eight if your going on the trip.

CORRECT ANSWER
You need to arrive at school by half past eight if you're going on the trip.
You need to arrive at school by half past eight if you are going on the trip.
EDDIE SAYS
The incorrect word is 'your', which is a pronoun. The correct word is 'you're', which is short for 'you are'.
  • Question 2

I could of won the race if I hadn't tripped over my laces.

CORRECT ANSWER
I could have won the race if I hadn't tripped over my laces.
I could've won the race if I hadn't tripped over my laces.
EDDIE SAYS
If we read the sentence out loud it sounds like 'could of', but it is actually 'could've', which is short for 'could have'.
  • Question 3

Philips new trainers had a great affect on his running.

CORRECT ANSWER
Philip's new trainers had a great effect on his running.
EDDIE SAYS
There should be an apostrophe after Philip to show that the trainers belong to him. The second mistake is the use of the verb 'affect' instead of the noun 'effect'.
  • Question 4

My grandparents are taking my sister and I to there villa in Spain.

CORRECT ANSWER
My grandparents are taking my sister and me to their villa in Spain.
EDDIE SAYS
It should be 'my sister and me' because the speaker is the object of the sentence, not the subject. The word 'there' is incorrect and should be the possessive pronoun 'their'.
  • Question 5

If you do'nt practice your violin you won't pass your exam.

CORRECT ANSWER
If you don't practise your violin you won't pass your exam.
EDDIE SAYS
The apostrophe should come after the n (don't) to show that the letter o has been missed out. The word 'practise' has an s not a c when it is a verb.
  • Question 6

I'm not going to except you're excuse for not doing your homework.

CORRECT ANSWER
I'm not going to accept your excuse for not doing your homework.
EDDIE SAYS
The correct word should be the verb 'accept', and the possessive pronoun 'your' should be used.
  • Question 7

The puppy wagged it's tail and bought the ball back to me.

CORRECT ANSWER
The puppy wagged its tail and brought the ball back to me.
EDDIE SAYS
There is no apostrophe in the possessive pronoun 'its'. The second verb should be 'brought', which is the past tense of the verb 'to bring'.
  • Question 8

My mums' friend gave me good advise about which subjects to choose for my GCSEs.

CORRECT ANSWER
My mum's friend gave me good advice about which subjects to choose for my GCSEs.
EDDIE SAYS
The apostrophe should come before the s (mum's) as there is only one mum involved. The noun 'advice' should be used rather than the verb 'advise'.
  • Question 9

Jake and Sarah said they would of come to the cinema with us but there gran is coming to visit them.

CORRECT ANSWER
Jake and Sarah said they would have come to the cinema with us but their gran is coming to visit them.
Jake and Sarah said they would've come to the cinema with us but their gran is coming to visit them.
EDDIE SAYS
It should be 'would have come' or 'would've come', and the possessive pronoun 'their' should be used instead of 'there'.
  • Question 10

Childrens' clothes are on the second floor, next to the lady's shoes department.

CORRECT ANSWER
Children's clothes are on the second floor, next to the ladies' shoes department.
EDDIE SAYS
The apostrophe should come before the s (children's), and as the shoes are for more than one lady it should be 'ladies' shoes'.
Previous Next

Easy As 1-2-3

Have fun learning at home on our desktop website or on-the go with our app

Start your £1 trial today.

Terms apply