The smart way to improve grades

Comprehensive & curriculum aligned

Affordable pricing from £10/month

Correct Common Spelling and Grammar Errors

In this worksheet, students proofread sentences for common spelling and grammar errors and then correct them.

'Correct Common Spelling and Grammar Errors' worksheet

Key stage:  KS 3

Curriculum topic:   Writing

Curriculum subtopic:   Use Accurate Grammar, Punctuation and Spelling

Difficulty level:  

Worksheet Overview

QUESTION 1 of 10

It is very easy to let simple grammar or spelling errors creep into written work, even when you know what the correct version should be.

Woman writing

In this worksheet, you can practise proofreading and correcting sentences that contain basic spelling and grammar errors. If you struggle with any of them you can go back and do the worksheets that deal with those points.

It is also really important that you use the correct punctuation as you go.  Spelling, Punctuation and Grammar (SPaG) are really important in written English and can affect the number of marks you receive so be careful!

The sentence below contains a mistake.

Where is the error?

You need to be on time if your going on the trip.

Can you spot it?

I could of won the race.

Look at the sentence below. Can you spot two errors?

Philips trainers had a positive affect on his time.

What part of the sentence below is incorrect? 

My friends have invited me to there house for dinner.

Can you spot the two errors in the sentence below?

If you do'nt practice your violin you won't pass your exam.

Are you getting in the swing of things? You're past halfway...

Can you spot the issues with the sentence below?

I'm not going to except you're excuse for not doing your homework.

There are two more errors to find in the sentence below, can you identify them?

The puppy wagged it's tail and bought the ball back to me.

Can you identify two errors in the sentence below?

My mums' friend gave me good advise about which subjects to choose for my GCSEs.

How are you getting on?

Identify the errors in the sentence below.

Jake and Sarah said they would of come to the cinema with us but there gran is coming to visit them.

Can you spot the final two errors?

Childrens' clothes are on the second floor, next to the lady's shoes department.
  • Question 1

Where is the error?

CORRECT ANSWER
You need to be on time if your going on the trip.
EDDIE SAYS
The incorrect word is 'your', which is a pronoun. The correct word is 'you're', which is short for 'you are'.
  • Question 2

Can you spot it?

CORRECT ANSWER
I could of won the race.
EDDIE SAYS
How did you get on? If we read the sentence out loud it sounds like 'could of', but it is actually 'could've', which is short for 'could have'. Fantastic focus if you spotted that.
  • Question 3

Look at the sentence below. Can you spot two errors?

CORRECT ANSWER
Philips trainers had a positive affect on his time.
EDDIE SAYS
The sentence should read: Phillip's trainers had a positive effect on his time. Did you recognise that 'affect' is a verb, whereas, 'effect' is a noun? Also, as the trainers belong to Phillip we needed to add an apostrophe.
  • Question 4

What part of the sentence below is incorrect? 

CORRECT ANSWER
My friends have invited me to there house for dinner.
EDDIE SAYS
Did you spot the typo? The alternative spelling of 'there' might sound the same, but the meaning is quite different. The word 'there' is incorrect and should be replaced with possessive pronoun 'their'.
  • Question 5

Can you spot the two errors in the sentence below?

CORRECT ANSWER
If you do'nt practice your violin you won't pass your exam.
EDDIE SAYS
This was a challenge question. The first mistake is hopefully quite clear, the apostrophe should come after the 'n' to show that the letter 'o' has been missed out. This next error gets people every time, even adults! Did you know the word 'practise' has an 's' not a 'c' when used as a verb? Well now you do.
  • Question 6

Are you getting in the swing of things? You're past halfway...

Can you spot the issues with the sentence below?

CORRECT ANSWER
I'm not going to except you're excuse for not doing your homework.
EDDIE SAYS
There were two problems here, did you spot them both? The correct word should be the verb 'accept'. 'Except' is used when you are discounting something from a group, which is not the right meaning in this example. The second mistake is that the possessive pronoun 'your' should be used. The way it is written here means 'you are' which doesn't make sense when you read it in full.
  • Question 7

There are two more errors to find in the sentence below, can you identify them?

CORRECT ANSWER
The puppy wagged it's tail and bought the ball back to me.
EDDIE SAYS
Hopefully, you're getting the hang of this now! 1. There is no apostrophe in the possessive pronoun 'its' which should have been used. 2. The second verb should be 'brought', which is the past tense of the verb 'to bring'. Bought and brought are often confused, but one (bought) means that you have handed over money in exchange for something. I don't think you would often pay a puppy!
  • Question 8

Can you identify two errors in the sentence below?

CORRECT ANSWER
My mums' friend gave me good advise about which subjects to choose for my GCSEs.
EDDIE SAYS
If you read this quickly you may not spot any issues with this sentence but they are there! 1. The apostrophe should come before the s (mum's) as there is only one mum involved. It is the mum of the speaker, so in this sense, the mum belongs to the speaker. 2. The noun 'advice' should have been used rather than the verb 'advise'.
  • Question 9

How are you getting on?

Identify the errors in the sentence below.

CORRECT ANSWER
Jake and Sarah said they would of come to the cinema with us but there gran is coming to visit them.
EDDIE SAYS
If you think back to an earlier question we can remember that it is always 'would have', 'could have', 'should have' never 'would of', 'could of', 'should of'. The second issue was the use of 'there', as this suggests a place and it should be a possessive pronoun to explain that the gran belongs to Jake and Sarah!
  • Question 10

Can you spot the final two errors?

CORRECT ANSWER
Childrens' clothes are on the second floor, next to the lady's shoes department.
EDDIE SAYS
An apostrophe puzzle to finish! Remember when we refer to an item in plurals but also need to show possession it gets trickier. The apostrophe should come before the s (children's). As for the shoes, they are for more than one lady so it should read 'ladies' shoes'. Fantastic, that's another activity ticked off!
---- OR ----

Sign up for a £1 trial so you can track and measure your child's progress on this activity.

What is EdPlace?

We're your National Curriculum aligned online education content provider helping each child succeed in English, maths and science from year 1 to GCSE. With an EdPlace account you’ll be able to track and measure progress, helping each child achieve their best. We build confidence and attainment by personalising each child’s learning at a level that suits them.

Get started
laptop

Start your £1 trial today.
Subscribe from £10/month.