The smart way to improve grades

Comprehensive & curriculum aligned

Affordable pricing from £10/month

Synonyms: Varying Your Word Choice 1

In this worksheet, students choose from a range of words with similar meanings to add variety and interest to their writing.

'Synonyms: Varying Your Word Choice 1' worksheet

Key stage:  KS 3

Curriculum topic:  Writing

Curriculum subtopic:  Use Growing Knowledge to Support Writing

Difficulty level:  

Worksheet Overview

QUESTION 1 of 10

In a piece of text, there are many different ways to describe how somebody speaks, walks, behaves etc..

For example:

If you want to describe how a character speaks, you could say: replied, snapped, laughed, answered, murmured, yelled, giggled, gasped, whispered, shrieked, screamed, asked, exclaimed, shouted, hollered, sneered, muttered, grumbled, wailed, groaned, whimpered, protested, confessed.

"I'm going to the fun fair today!" Alice giggled, excitedly.

From the list below, select the possible alternatives for the word "said" as it is used in this sentence:

'Ouch!' said the boy as he fell to the ground, clutching his knee.

whispered

bawled

mumbled

screamed

yelled

groaned

demanded

explained

From the list below, select the possible alternatives for the word "went" as it is used in this sentence:

'How dare you!' yelled the duchess as she went out of the room and slammed the door.

stormed

strolled

flounced

wandered

marched

crept

stalked

tiptoed

From the list below, select the possible alternatives for the word "asked" as it is used in this sentence:

'Oh, your Majesty, please spare my life!' asked the old man.

said

begged

suggested

pleaded

wanted

called

implored

enquired

In a story, there are many different ways to describe how somebody comes into a room. Choose the possible words or phrases from the list below that you could use as an alternative to 'entered', in order to add meaning and variety to your writing.

stormed in

barged in

remained in

exited

crept in

sauntered in

departure

wandered in

From the list below, select the possible alternatives for the word "said", as it is used in the following sentence:

'I might have guessed I'd meet you again!  You thought you had got away did you?' said the villain as he pointed the gun at me.

asked

sneered

requested

laughed

whispered

chanted

suggested

cried

• Question 1

From the list below, select the possible alternatives for the word "said" as it is used in this sentence:

'Ouch!' said the boy as he fell to the ground, clutching his knee.

CORRECT ANSWER
bawled
screamed
yelled
groaned
  • Question 2

From the list below, select the possible alternatives for the word "went" as it is used in this sentence:

'How dare you!' yelled the duchess as she went out of the room and slammed the door.

CORRECT ANSWER
stormed
flounced
marched
stalked
  • Question 3

From the list below, select the possible alternatives for the word "asked" as it is used in this sentence:

'Oh, your Majesty, please spare my life!' asked the old man.

CORRECT ANSWER
begged
pleaded
implored
  • Question 4

In a story, there are many different ways to describe how somebody comes into a room. Choose the possible words or phrases from the list below that you could use as an alternative to 'entered', in order to add meaning and variety to your writing.

CORRECT ANSWER
stormed in
barged in
crept in
sauntered in
wandered in
  • Question 5

From the list below, select the possible alternatives for the word "said", as it is used in the following sentence:

'I might have guessed I'd meet you again!  You thought you had got away did you?' said the villain as he pointed the gun at me.

CORRECT ANSWER
sneered
laughed
whispered
---- OR ----

Sign up for a £1 trial so you can track and measure your child's progress on this activity.

What is EdPlace?

We're your National Curriculum aligned online education content provider helping each child succeed in English, maths and science from year 1 to GCSE. With an EdPlace account you’ll be able to track and measure progress, helping each child achieve their best. We build confidence and attainment by personalising each child’s learning at a level that suits them.

Get started
laptop

Start your £1 trial today.
Subscribe from £10/month.