Loading please wait

The smart way to improve grades

Comprehensive & curriculum aligned

Try an activity or get started for free

Analysis of Key Quotations in 'Anita and Me'

In this activity, students will analyse key quotations in the novel 'Anita and Me'.

'Analysis of Key Quotations in 'Anita and Me'' worksheet

Key stage:  KS 4

Year:  GCSE

GCSE Subjects:   English Literature

GCSE Boards:   AQA, Pearson Edexcel, OCR, Eduqas,

Curriculum topic:   Modern Texts: Prose, Post-1914 Play or Novel, Modern Prose or Drama, Post-1914 Prose / Drama

Curriculum subtopic:   Anita and Me

Difficulty level:  

Worksheet Overview

Analysis of key quotations in 'Anita and Me'

It's great to keep a bank of key quotations handy so that whatever topic you are writing about, you can use them to support your points.

inkwell and feather

Taking this a step further, when we analyse a quotation we want to look at two areas:

Firstly, what the quotation is suggesting

Secondly, how the author has used language to convey this idea.

When we consider that every word of a novel has been selected, reviewed and edited before publication, then we can see that it is there for a reason. Our job is to look at that choice and see what it means to us and our understanding of the writer's purpose.

As we analyse, we may consider the connotations of a word choice. The inferences it suggests. Does it reflect the context in some way? Does it create an image or set the scene in some manner? Does the writer use dialect words in dialogue, and if so, what is the effect of this? Does it convey a mood or tone, or create atmosphere?

So many questions!!

Don't panic, as you don't have to have an answer for each question - some will be relevant to ask for each quotation you look at, while the others won't!

In this activity, we will look at quotations as they are used for different purposes and analyse some of the language devices the author has used to convey her idea and create an effect.

You should always refer to your own text when working through these examples. These quotations are for reference only.

What is EdPlace?

We're your National Curriculum aligned online education content provider helping each child succeed in English, maths and science from year 1 to GCSE. With an EdPlace account you’ll be able to track and measure progress, helping each child achieve their best. We build confidence and attainment by personalising each child’s learning at a level that suits them.

Get started
laptop

Try an activity or get started for free

• National Tutoring Awards 2023 Shortlisted / Parents
    National Tutoring Awards 2023 Shortlisted
  • Private-Tutoring-WINNER-EducationInvestor-Awards / Parents
    Winner - Private Tutoring
  • Bett Awards Finalist / Parents
    Finalist
  • Winner - Best for Home Learning / Parents
    Winner - Best for Home Learning / Parents