The smart way to improve grades

Comprehensive & curriculum aligned

Affordable pricing from £10/month

Compare Content in 'Ozymandias' and Other Poems

In this worksheet, students can begin to think about comparing the poem 'Ozymandias', to other poems. The activity will allow the student to begin practising forming content-based links between poems.

'Compare Content in 'Ozymandias' and Other Poems' worksheet

Key stage:  KS 4

GCSE Subjects:   English Literature

GCSE Boards:   AQA, Eduqas

Curriculum topic:   Poetry, Poetry 1789 to the Present Day

Curriculum subtopic:   Power and Conflict: 'Ozymandias', 'Ozymandias'

Difficulty level:  

Worksheet Overview

QUESTION 1 of 10

Want to begin to revise your comparative skills between 'Ozymandias' and other poems (in the Power and Conflict cluster)?

Thought bubble

In this activity, we will be jogging your memory by comparing the content of 'Ozymandias', with the poems you best see fit, out of the options you get given. 

Before we begin, here's a quick list of the key content you could talk about and use to compare with other poems:

Power

Pride

Art and Culture

Metaphors/personification

Transience

Nature

Imagery

You can definitely think of any other themes which you think Shelley uses, as long as you have the evidence to show that it is a recurring idea throughout the poem.

Remember: take your time, as there's no rush and make sure to jot down any explanations which you find helpful!

What one poem, from the cluster, would you compare 'Ozymandias' with?

Hint: Think about the theme of art and culture.

'Exposure'

'Remains'

'My Last Duchess'

'London'

Which one poem, from the cluster, would you compare 'Ozymandias' with?

Hint: Think about the theme of nature.

Extract from 'The Prelude'

'Bayonet Charge'

'War Photographer'

'Kamikaze'

What one poem, from the cluster, would you compare 'Ozymandias' with?

It would help to think about metaphors regarding the passing of time.

'Checking Out Me History'

'My Last Duchess'

'The Emigree'

'Tissue'

What two poems, from the cluster, would you compare 'Ozymandias' with?

Think about the power of nature

There are two right answers.

'Exposure'

'The Prelude'

'The Emigree'

'The Charge of the Light Brigade'

Think about the theme of pride/glory 

'My Last Duchess'

'Exposure'

'Storm on the Island'

Link the ideas in each poem which you think match up best with 'Ozymandias'. 

Hint: some of these ideas match with more than one poem in the table.

Extract from 'The Prelude''Kamikaze''Storm on the Island''My Last Duchess'
Sibilance
Theme of nature
Theme of power
Natural imagery

Link the ideas in each poem which you think match up best with 'Ozymandias'

Hint: some of these ideas match with more than one poem in the table.

Class systemsRacial systemsPersonal and possessive pronouns
'The Emigree'
'My Last Duchess'
'London'

Link 'Ozymandias' to one other poem, in the cluster, which shows the relationship between power and arrogance.

'My Last Duchess'

'London'

'Exposure'

Pick the one option from below which you think best showcase how 'Ozymandias' and 'Londoncould be compared.

Pick the answer which you think best shows the difference between the two poems.

In 'Ozymandias', power negatively affects Ozymandias; in 'London' power negatively affects the poor

In 'Ozymandias', power is a positive thing; in 'London' it is negative

In 'Ozymandias', power is negative which is the same in 'London'

Last question! 

Tick the three poems that you think are the easiest to compare to 'Ozymandias'.

Hint: think about if these poems show similar ideas to Shelley's poem.

Think about the way power and nature are emphasised. 

'My Last Duchess'

'Charge of the Light Brigade'

'Bayonet Charge'

'Poppies'

'Remains'

'London'

'Exposure'

• Question 1

What one poem, from the cluster, would you compare 'Ozymandias' with?

Hint: Think about the theme of art and culture.

CORRECT ANSWER
'My Last Duchess'
EDDIE SAYS
If we are considering the theme of art and culture, "My Last Duchess" is the best to compare to, out of the options. Both poems are based around a piece of artwork/structure.
  • Question 2

Which one poem, from the cluster, would you compare 'Ozymandias' with?

Hint: Think about the theme of nature.

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
Extract from 'The Prelude' is one of the best poems to compare to 'Ozymandias' in terms of nature and its immense power. How are the two poems different in the way that they use nature? What about the form? The way the two poems differentiate in stanza length? What effect does this have on the overall content of the two poems?
  • Question 3

What one poem, from the cluster, would you compare 'Ozymandias' with?

It would help to think about metaphors regarding the passing of time.

CORRECT ANSWER
'Tissue'
EDDIE SAYS
Out of all the poems, 'Tissue' compares best with 'Ozymandias' when looking at metaphors regarding the passing of time. 'Tissue' uses an extended metaphor throughout, to link structures, religion and, ultimately, people to tissue. Yet, in Ozymandias, the emphasis on time is that it lasts forever. Time is the reason Ozymandias constructs his own statue, and time is what destroys the statue and Ozymandias from memory. In 'Tissue', time is more fragile. Dharker emphasises that human life outlasts time, especially in the last quote: "turned into your skin". Dharker is making a complex, but interesting point about the fragility of buildings, papers but the longevity of human impact.
  • Question 4

Think about the power of nature

CORRECT ANSWER
'Exposure'
'The Prelude'
EDDIE SAYS
Out of the poem selection, the theme of man vs. nature is most prominent in the poems 'Ozymandias', Extract from 'The Prelude' and 'Exposure'. All three look at the power of nature and its dominance over mankind, don't they? Think about the different ways nature is explored in the three poems.
  • Question 5

Think about the theme of pride/glory 

CORRECT ANSWER
'My Last Duchess'
EDDIE SAYS
Both 'My Last Duchess' and 'The Charge of the Light Brigade' emphasise the speaker's pride/glory. Think about the representation of pride in each of the poems- how do they differ? Most importantly, is the theme of pride viewed as something positive by the poet?
  • Question 6

Link the ideas in each poem which you think match up best with 'Ozymandias'. 

Hint: some of these ideas match with more than one poem in the table.

CORRECT ANSWER
 Extract from 'The Prelude''Kamikaze''Storm on the Island''My Last Duchess'
Sibilance
Theme of nature
Theme of power
Natural imagery
EDDIE SAYS
Filling out tables like these will allow you to categorise which themes overlap within the cluster. Think about why and how these ideas/themes match up and what evidence you could pick to support the fact that the poems share the same themes/ideas. Think about how these themes/ideas are represented. How are they presented? How do they differ? What tone/language/devices are used?
  • Question 7

Link the ideas in each poem which you think match up best with 'Ozymandias'

Hint: some of these ideas match with more than one poem in the table.

CORRECT ANSWER
 Class systemsRacial systemsPersonal and possessive pronouns
'The Emigree'
'My Last Duchess'
'London'
EDDIE SAYS
Filling out tables like these will allow you to categorise which themes poems within the cluster share. Think about why and how these ideas/themes match up and what evidence you could pick to support the fact that the poems share the same themes/ideas. Think about how these themes/ideas are represented. How are they presented? How do they differ? What tone/language/devices are used?
  • Question 8

Link 'Ozymandias' to one other poem, in the cluster, which shows the relationship between power and arrogance.

CORRECT ANSWER
'My Last Duchess'
EDDIE SAYS
'Ozymandias' and 'My Last Duchess', both present the themes of power and arrogance. Both Ozymandias and the Duke are arrogant and cruel, so there are multiple comparisons you could make between the two.
  • Question 9

Pick the one option from below which you think best showcase how 'Ozymandias' and 'Londoncould be compared.

Pick the answer which you think best shows the difference between the two poems.

CORRECT ANSWER
In 'Ozymandias', power negatively affects Ozymandias; in 'London' power negatively affects the poor
EDDIE SAYS
Evaluating how the poet presents ideas is a crucial part of comparing poetry! Practice your skills of deducing how certain attitudes are presented similarly and differently and you'll soar in the comparison part of the exam! Let's look at how the poems are similar- both poems are about the effects of power, and how concentrated power can be damaging. Now let's see how the poems differ. 'Ozymandias' really focuses on the negative effects of power on Ozymandias himself- in the poem, we see how the statue is worn down and is isolated in the desert. Ozymandias' legacy is dying, and his arrogance becomes ironic. 'London' presents power as something with a negative impact on the poorer people in society with great emphasis on how power creates distinguishable class systems. 'London' is much more concerned with the suffering which accompanies concentrated power.
  • Question 10

Last question! 

Tick the three poems that you think are the easiest to compare to 'Ozymandias'.

Hint: think about if these poems show similar ideas to Shelley's poem.

Think about the way power and nature are emphasised. 

CORRECT ANSWER
'My Last Duchess'
'London'
EDDIE SAYS
'Ozymandias' would most likely be easiest to compare to the poems 'My Last Duchess', 'The Prelude' and 'London'. All of these poems explore the themes of power (which is a very dominant theme in 'Ozymandias'!). 'My Last Duchess' looks at the power of the Duke and his arrogance and cruelty, which matches perfectly with Ozymandias. 'London' does something similar, looking at the way concentrated power negatively impacts the London poor. Linking this to 'Ozymandias' we can connect the two poems by looking at how they address the "bottleneck society" (a society where few people are in power so many suffer as a consequence). It's not super obvious in Ozymandias, because the speaker focuses more on Ozymandias' arrogance and delusions, but there's definitely something to be said about Ozymandias being the single ruler and forcing people to "despair". Lastly, Extract from 'The Prelude' is a fantastic one to compare to 'Ozymandias' because both poems heavily emphasise nature's power over mankind!
---- OR ----

Sign up for a £1 trial so you can track and measure your child's progress on this activity.

What is EdPlace?

We're your National Curriculum aligned online education content provider helping each child succeed in English, maths and science from year 1 to GCSE. With an EdPlace account you’ll be able to track and measure progress, helping each child achieve their best. We build confidence and attainment by personalising each child’s learning at a level that suits them.

Get started
laptop

Start your £1 trial today.
Subscribe from £10/month.