Loading please wait

The smart way to improve grades

Comprehensive & curriculum aligned

Try an activity or get started for free

Understand Population Sampling

In this worksheet, students will practise finding samples.

'Understand Population Sampling' worksheet

Key stage:  KS 4

Year:  GCSE

GCSE Subjects:   Maths

GCSE Boards:   AQA, Eduqas, Pearson Edexcel, OCR,

Curriculum topic:   Statistics

Curriculum subtopic:   Statistics Sampling

Difficulty level:  

Worksheet Overview

What are populations?

Populations in maths describe a situation where you are referring to a whole group of people. eg. all the pupils in a school is the population of the school, all the people on a train is the population of the train.

What is a sample?

A lot of the time, when you are trying to find something out in statistics, it isn't sensible to ask everyone. Instead, you ask some of them and use that as a statistical representation of everyone. This is a sample.

For example, if I want to find out about lunch habits in a school, instead of asking everyone, I might only ask 50 people and assume that this represents the views of everyone.

How do I find a sample?

Samples are given as percentages.

Example 1:

I want to find a 10% sample of pupils in a school. If the school has 400 students, how many do I need to speak to?

I need to find 10% of 400 - this is 40 students.

Example 2:

I ask 150 students in a school of 1000 students about their favourite crisps. What sample size is this?

We are trying to find out what percentage 150 out of 100 is - it can be written as a fraction. We can then multiply by 100 to get a percentage:

x 100 = 15%

Primary vs secondary data

This sounds more complicated than it is. Primary data is simply data you have collected yourself (eg. questionnaire or survey), secondary data is data you have found somewhere else (eg. house prices)

Bias

Sometimes, if you are collecting primary data, you can introduce a bias (unfairness).

For example, if you asked people coming out of a gym how long they spend exercising in a week, this is biased because you are not asking people who don't exercise.

If you wanted to find out the favourite subjects of pupils in a school, you would have to ask the same number of boys as girls to make it fair.

Let's move on to some questions.

What is EdPlace?

We're your National Curriculum aligned online education content provider helping each child succeed in English, maths and science from year 1 to GCSE. With an EdPlace account you’ll be able to track and measure progress, helping each child achieve their best. We build confidence and attainment by personalising each child’s learning at a level that suits them.

Get started
laptop

Try an activity or get started for free

• National Tutoring Awards 2023 Shortlisted / Parents
    National Tutoring Awards 2023 Shortlisted
  • Private-Tutoring-WINNER-EducationInvestor-Awards / Parents
    Winner - Private Tutoring
  • Bett Awards Finalist / Parents
    Finalist
  • Winner - Best for Home Learning / Parents
    Winner - Best for Home Learning / Parents