The smart way to improve grades

Comprehensive & curriculum aligned

Affordable pricing from £10/month

Translate words into numbers using codes

In this worksheet, students will turn words into number codes using a given code table as a base. It will develop their encoding and problem solving skills.

'Translate words into numbers using codes' worksheet

Key stage:  KS 2

Curriculum topic:  Verbal Reasoning

Curriculum subtopic:  Number Code Breaking

Difficulty level:  

down

Worksheet Overview

QUESTION 1 of 10

Hi there code cracker!

Today we are going to learn about a new type of code.

Did you know that when you turn a word into code, every letter can be turned into a number by following a special pattern?

This special pattern is called a code!

Here is a code for us to investigate:

Letter Number (code)
A 0
B 5
C 7
D 3
E 1
F 6
G 9
H 8
I 4
J 2

Using the table, we need to work out what the code for the word CAGE is.

If we start with finding the code for C and then work through each letter one-by-one, we find that the code for CAGE is 7091.

Now let’s reverse what we did to find out which word is represented by the code 8103.

If we start with 8, we can see that it links to the letter H.

Then we can repeat this process for each of the numbers one-by-one to find that the word is HEAD.

Is that what you found?

It’s now your turn to be a code cracker and change words into and out of code. Make sure you check the code table for each question.

Good luck code cracker!

Welcome back, code cracker! Are you ready for some more number code fun?! Now that you have mastered the basics, I think you are ready to tackle some more challenging words! Also, in this worksheet I am going to ask you to work out the words from the codes, as well as turning the words into number codes. I know you can do it!

A = 2 C = 9 E = 1 H = 7 I = 4
M = 6 O = 8 R = 3    

On the beach

Meet Danny:

You are going to be joining Danny for a day at the beach and working out some number codes along the way. Let's get started!

First of all, you and Danny decide what snack you want before you start your day of fun! It is hot and you both want something to cool you down. Danny wants a choc ice and you want some ice cream. 

Can you match the correct code with the correct snack below?

Column A

Column B

Ice Cream
491 93126
Choc Ice
9789 491
A = 4 E = 1 G = 9 H = 2 R = 3
T = 6 U = 5      

Sandcastles!

You and Danny have decided to build some sandcastles. Each of you wants to make yours bigger and better than the other's!

When Danny looks at yours he tells you that he thinks it is 2591!

You tell him that his castle is 93146!

Using the code above, can you work out which words you and Danny used?

Write out the words in the correct order in the boxes below, to make sure you get it marked correctly!

Column A

Column B

Ice Cream
491 93126
Choc Ice
9789 491
A = 4 C = 1 F = 8 L = 9 N = 6
O = 2 R = 7 T = 3 W = 5  

In the sea!

So now that you've had fun on the beach, it's time to hit the sea! Danny loves to swim. His favourite stroke is 87263 17459. Can you decipher the code and tell me what his favourite stroke is?

Remember to leave only one space between the words in your answer otherwise it will be marked as incorrect!

A = 2 C = 9 E = 3 H = 8 M = 1
S = 4        

Lunch time!

After your swim, you are both hungry and ready for your lunch. You are going to choose your sandwiches. Danny goes for HAM and you go for CHEESE. Can you work out the codes for your chosen sandwich fillings?

Write out the codes in the correct boxes below.

A = 8 D = 2 G = 3 I = 1 K = 6
N = 7 V = 5 Y = 9    

Afternoon activities!

OK, code cracker, now you're fuelled for some afternoon activities. You decide you want to go 68986173, whereas Danny decides he wants to go 215173. 

Which are the two activities which you and Danny want to do this afternoon?

Write out the words in the boxes below in the correct order to gain the marks!

A = 1 C = 4 E = 5 K = 9 L = 2
N = 3 O = 6 P = 8 S = 7  

Afternoon tea!

Right then, time for some more treats! You have decided you want to have a scone and Danny feels like having a cake. His mum joins you and she wants an apple. 

Can you work out the codes for the words below?

Scone

Cake 

Apple 

A = 1 C = 6 E = 5 N = 9 O = 3
R = 7 S = 2 T = 4 V = 0 Y = 8

Evening fun!

Now it's time for your evening activities! You have decided to play out in the garden - a game of hide and seek!

You are looking for Danny. You find him behind the 639257014378.

Can you unpick the code to work out where you find Danny?

A = 3 M = 9 P = 8 J = 2 Y = 4
S = 1        

Bedtime!

You and Danny need to get ready for bed. You need to brush your teeth, and go and find your 8423931.

What is the item that you need to find?

A = 2 E = 1 N = 6 P = 3 R = 9
S = 4 T = 7      

Sweet dreams!

Now it's time for bed. You have plenty to dream about after your busy day! Can you find the codes for the following things which appear in your dreams:

1. Presents 

2. Parents 

3. Stars 

C = 9 E = 2 K = 7 L = 4 N = 1
0 = 6 S = 3 V = 5    

The next morning

You are going to spend another day with Danny at the beach! Lucky you! But before we say goodbye and you go off to have fun, can you let me know what time your alarm goes off if it starts beeping at 32521 6'94697?

Write your 2 answers in the correct order in the boxes below and include the punctuation above!

• Question 1

Welcome back, code cracker! Are you ready for some more number code fun?! Now that you have mastered the basics, I think you are ready to tackle some more challenging words! Also, in this worksheet I am going to ask you to work out the words from the codes, as well as turning the words into number codes. I know you can do it!

A = 2 C = 9 E = 1 H = 7 I = 4
M = 6 O = 8 R = 3    

On the beach

Meet Danny:

You are going to be joining Danny for a day at the beach and working out some number codes along the way. Let's get started!

First of all, you and Danny decide what snack you want before you start your day of fun! It is hot and you both want something to cool you down. Danny wants a choc ice and you want some ice cream. 

Can you match the correct code with the correct snack below?

CORRECT ANSWER

Column A

Column B

Ice Cream
491 93126
Choc Ice
9789 491
EDDIE SAYS
Did you spot anything that might have made your life easier here, code cracker? Well done, if so! Each snack contains two words, so you could even have worked out the code just by counting the letters here! However, it's always good to practise the skill of code cracking, so let's see how you could get to the correct answer. Firstly, let's work out the code for ICE CREAM using the table. We see that I = 4, C = 9 and E = 1, so the code for ICE is 491. Then we see that C = 9, R = 3, E = 1, A = 2 and M = 6. So the code for CREAM is 93126. Therefore, the code for ICE CREAM is 491 93126. Now, when we go to work out the code for CHOC ICE, we see that some of our work has already been done for us. Great news! We already know that the code for ICE is 491, so all we need to work out is the code for CHOC. Using what we already know and the table, we see that C = 9, H = 7, O = 8 and C = 9. So, let's put those codes together to get the code for CHOC ICE: 9789 491. Well done, code cracker!
  • Question 2
A = 4 E = 1 G = 9 H = 2 R = 3
T = 6 U = 5      

Sandcastles!

You and Danny have decided to build some sandcastles. Each of you wants to make yours bigger and better than the other's!

When Danny looks at yours he tells you that he thinks it is 2591!

You tell him that his castle is 93146!

Using the code above, can you work out which words you and Danny used?

Write out the words in the correct order in the boxes below, to make sure you get it marked correctly!

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
Right then, code cracker, this was your first attempt at turning a number code back into a real word. How did you get on? Let's go through it together... I know I keep saying it, but it is SO important: you have to use the table to help you! So, when we do that we see that 2 = H, 5 = U, 9 = G and 1 = E. So, the code 2591 stands for the word HUGE! Now we have to work out how you described Danny's castle! You said it was 93146! Looking at the table again, we do the same as we did before and work out that 9 = G, 3 = R, 1 = E, 4 = A and 6 = T. So, you described Danny's castle as GREAT!
  • Question 3
A = 4 C = 1 F = 8 L = 9 N = 6
O = 2 R = 7 T = 3 W = 5  

In the sea!

So now that you've had fun on the beach, it's time to hit the sea! Danny loves to swim. His favourite stroke is 87263 17459. Can you decipher the code and tell me what his favourite stroke is?

Remember to leave only one space between the words in your answer otherwise it will be marked as incorrect!

CORRECT ANSWER
Front Crawl
EDDIE SAYS
Did you work this one out, code cracker? There were quite a few numbers to get through! Right, let's see if we can work out how we get to the right answer! Right, so let's use the table as always! If we do, we can work out which number represents which letter. It's a long one, but we will definitely get there! So, we see that: 8 = F, 7 = R, 2 = O, 6 = N, 3 = T and then 1 = C, 7 = R, 4 = A, 5 = W, 9 = L. So, when we put that together, we get FRONT CRAWL. So, Danny's favourite stroke is FRONT CRAWL!
  • Question 4
A = 2 C = 9 E = 3 H = 8 M = 1
S = 4        

Lunch time!

After your swim, you are both hungry and ready for your lunch. You are going to choose your sandwiches. Danny goes for HAM and you go for CHEESE. Can you work out the codes for your chosen sandwich fillings?

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
I hope you had a nice lunch, code cracker! Did you manage to work out the codes? If we look at the table, we can see that H = 8, A = 2 and M = 1. So, 821 is the code for HAM. Next, we see that C = 9, H = 8, E = 3, E = 3, S = 4, E = 3, so we can see that 983343 is the code for CHEESE. Onto the next code to crack!
  • Question 5
A = 8 D = 2 G = 3 I = 1 K = 6
N = 7 V = 5 Y = 9    

Afternoon activities!

OK, code cracker, now you're fuelled for some afternoon activities. You decide you want to go 68986173, whereas Danny decides he wants to go 215173. 

Which are the two activities which you and Danny want to do this afternoon?

Write out the words in the boxes below in the correct order to gain the marks!

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
Did you work out how you are going to be spending your afternoon, code cracker? I think it will be lots of fun! Let's look at your activity first: you want to go 68986173. Let's go back to our old favourite: the table! So, looking at that we can see the 6 = K, 8 = A, 9 = Y, 8 = A, 6 = K, 1 = I, 7 = N and 3 = G. So, you are planning on going KAYAKING. Have fun! Now, what is Danny going to be getting up to? He wants to go 215173. Look at the table again! 2 = D, 1 = I, 5 = V, 1 = I, 7 = N and 3 = G. So, Danny wants to go DIVING. Sounds like a great afternoon for you both!
  • Question 6
A = 1 C = 4 E = 5 K = 9 L = 2
N = 3 O = 6 P = 8 S = 7  

Afternoon tea!

Right then, time for some more treats! You have decided you want to have a scone and Danny feels like having a cake. His mum joins you and she wants an apple. 

Can you work out the codes for the words below?

Scone

Cake 

Apple 

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
Did you enjoy your afternoon tea, code cracker? I hope the scone was delicious! Right, then, let's work out these number codes! So, we are using the table again! When we do, we see that S = 7, C = 4, O = 6, N = 3 and E = 5. So the code for SCONE is 74635. Now, for CAKE we already know that C = 4 and E = 5. However, we need to work out the number code for A and K. If we use the table we see that A = 1 and K = 9. So, if we put that all together we see that the code for CAKE is 4195. Finally, we need to find out the code for the APPLE which Danny's mum had. We only need to work out the number code for P and L here. Looking at the table we see that P = 8 and L = 2. We know that A = 1 and E = 5, so if we put the numbers together we see that the code for APPLE is 18825 (remember that APPLE has a double P in the middle of it, so you must repeat the number 8!).
  • Question 7
A = 1 C = 6 E = 5 N = 9 O = 3
R = 7 S = 2 T = 4 V = 0 Y = 8

Evening fun!

Now it's time for your evening activities! You have decided to play out in the garden - a game of hide and seek!

You are looking for Danny. You find him behind the 639257014378.

Can you unpick the code to work out where you find Danny?

CORRECT ANSWER
Conservatory
EDDIE SAYS
Right, back to the table we go, code cracker! You know how to do this by now, I expect, but don't worry if you made a mistake. This was quite a long word and the middle bit of the code may have been a little tricky. The table tells us that 6 = C, 3 = O, 9 = N, 2 = S, 5 = E, 7 = R, 0 = V, 1 = A, 4 = T, 3 = O, 7 = R and 8 = Y. If we put that together we get a rather long word: CONSERVATORY. You find Danny behind the CONSERVATORY! Well done for having a go at this slightly trickier question!
  • Question 8
A = 3 M = 9 P = 8 J = 2 Y = 4
S = 1        

Bedtime!

You and Danny need to get ready for bed. You need to brush your teeth, and go and find your 8423931.

What is the item that you need to find?

CORRECT ANSWER
Pyjamas
EDDIE SAYS
Are you tired yet? I know I am! Number codes make your brain work very hard, after all. But we've not got many more questions to go, so let's keep pushing on! Right, look at the table and let's try and match the numbers to the letters. When we do, we see that 8 = P, 4 = Y, 2 = J, 3 = A, 9 = M, 3 = A, 1 = S. You need to find your PYJAMAS before you try to get some sleep for tomorrow!
  • Question 9
A = 2 E = 1 N = 6 P = 3 R = 9
S = 4 T = 7      

Sweet dreams!

Now it's time for bed. You have plenty to dream about after your busy day! Can you find the codes for the following things which appear in your dreams:

1. Presents 

2. Parents 

3. Stars 

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
Right then, code cracker, how did you do on this one? I hope you managed to match some of the letters to their code numbers using the table! So, you can probably see that there are lots of similar letters between the three words for which I have asked you to find the number codes. That certainly makes life a bit easier! Let's get going with working out those number codes! Firstly, let's use the table to help us work out the code for PRESENTS. From this, we can see that P = 3, R = 9, E = 1, S = 4, E = 1, N = 6, T = 7, S = 4. If we put this code together, we get 39141674. So this is the number code for PRESENTS! Now, we can use what we've learnt when trying to work out the code for PARENTS. We know some of the number codes already: P = 3, R = 9, E = 1, N = 6, T = 7 and S = 4. So, all we need to find the code for is A. If we look at the table we see that A = 2. So, the code for PARENTS must be 3291674. Now, finally we need to find the code for STARS. We know the number code for all of these letters already! S = 4, T = 7, A = 2, R = 9 so the code for STAR is 4729 and the code for STARS must be 47294. I hope that helps!
  • Question 10
C = 9 E = 2 K = 7 L = 4 N = 1
0 = 6 S = 3 V = 5    

The next morning

You are going to spend another day with Danny at the beach! Lucky you! But before we say goodbye and you go off to have fun, can you let me know what time your alarm goes off if it starts beeping at 32521 6'94697?

Write your 2 answers in the correct order in the boxes below and include the punctuation above!

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
You've made it to the end of a Level 2 worksheet, code cracker! What a champion, well done! Did you manage to work out at which time you wake up? The answer is SEVEN O'CLOCK. Let's see how we get there. We use the table (of course!) and see that 3 = S, 2 = E, 5 = V, 2 = E, 1 = N 6 = O'9 = C, 4 = L, 6 = O, 9 = C, 7 = K. If we put that together, we see it makes the words SEVEN O'CLOCK. That's an early rise, code breaker, but you want to get the best spot on the beach I suppose. I'll leave you to it. Have fun!
---- OR ----

Sign up for a £1 trial so you can track and measure your child's progress on this activity.

What is EdPlace?

We're your National Curriculum aligned online education content provider helping each child succeed in English, maths and science from year 1 to GCSE. With an EdPlace account you’ll be able to track and measure progress, helping each child achieve their best. We build confidence and attainment by personalising each child’s learning at a level that suits them.

Start your £1 trial

Start your trial for £1