The smart way to improve grades

Comprehensive & curriculum aligned

Affordable pricing from £10/month

Translate words into numbers using codes

In this worksheet, students will turn words into number codes using a given code table as a base. It will develop their encoding and problem solving skills.

'Translate words into numbers using codes' worksheet

Key stage:  KS 2

Curriculum topic:  Verbal Reasoning

Curriculum subtopic:  Number Code Breaking

Difficulty level:  

down

Worksheet Overview

QUESTION 1 of 10

Hi there code cracker!

Today we are going to learn about a new type of code.

Did you know that when you turn a word into code, every letter can be turned into a number by following a special pattern?

This special pattern is called a code!

Here is a code for us to investigate:

Letter Number (code)
A 0
B 5
C 7
D 3
E 1
F 6
G 9
H 8
I 4
J 2

Using the table, we need to work out what the code for the word CAGE is.

If we start with finding the code for C and then work through each letter one-by-one, we find that the code for CAGE is 7091.

Now let’s reverse what we did to find out which word is represented by the code 8103.

If we start with 8, we can see that it links to the letter H.

Then we can repeat this process for each of the numbers one-by-one to find that the word is HEAD.

Is that what you found?

It’s now your turn to be a code cracker and change words into and out of code. Make sure you check the code table for each question.

Good luck code cracker!

A = 6 E = 4 L = 3 N = 1 P = 9
S = 5 T = 7 U = 2    

Welcome back to number code breaking, code cracker! Are you ready for some more number code solving? In this worksheet, we are going to be focusing on building your vocabulary to make sure that you understand and can spell some of the more challenging vocabulary that we use in Year 3. I know you are ready for the challenge because you're a number code breaking superhero!

Let's get started!

Can you find the code for UNPLEASANT? 

A = 2  E = 3 I = 5 N = 1 R = 9
S = 6 T = 4      

Spooky times...

Imagine that you are in a deep, dark wood and spy a spooky house.

Can you find the codes for the words below which might describe the mood?

1. Eerie 

2. Earnest 

Write out the codes in the correct boxes below.

A = 1 E = 6 H = 5 I = 9 L = 2
O = 3 S = 4 V = 8 Y =7  

A royal affair...

Wow, you are one amazing code cracker! Your number code cracking has got so good that the royal family have invited you to come and do some code cracking at one of their swanky royal pads! Can you work out the code for the following words, which describe your smart surroundings:

1. Lavish 

2. Lovely 

Column A

Column B

Lavish
Lovely
D = 6 E = 9 I = 4 L = 1 N = 2
P = 5 S = 3      

A royal flush...

I think we should stay at the palace, code cracker, it's rather nice here...

However, for your next trick I want you to start turning codes into words! I know you've got this - be confident!

I think that this palace is 35192646!

What word have I used to describe our beautiful surroundings?

A = 2 C = 3 E = 1 I = 9 J = 8
M = 6 S = 4 T = 5    

It's our last question from the palace now, code cracker! Maybe you should wear a crown to show that you are the number code cracking king or queen...

So, I also think that this palace and all who live in her are very 62814593. 

What word have I used to describe this splendid place?

A = 4 I = 3 L = 8 N = 2 Q = 9
R = 5 T = 6 U = 1    

I think we need a bit of peace and quiet after the excitement of the palace, code cracker! Now we are on to a calmer scene...

I would describe this beautiful place as being 65429138. 

What word have I used to describe this lovely lake?

Peaceful

Tranquil

Gentle

Lovely

E = 1 I = 5 L = 9 N = 7 O = 6
S = 2        

I think we should stay somewhere quiet for a little while longer. 

I love walking through the beautiful hills at dusk, just before the sun sets. When I am walking here, I particularly like that my surroundings are 765219122. 

What is it that I particularly like about my surroundings?

A = 1 E = 6 G = 0 I = 5 M = 9
N = 7 R = 3 S = 2 T = 8 W = 4

Right then, code cracker, we're nearing the end of your worksheet! Well done you - another one almost done! I hope you have learnt some new words and improved your spelling along the way - that's a really important skill for your 11+ exams. 

Now that we have had some peace and quiet, why don't we pop into town to see some friends? It's a little busier here!

In fact, I would say that it is 8669570 and 24139570 with people.

What are the two words that I have used to describe the city?

Swarming

Heaving

Moving

Teeming

C =6 E = 3 H = 2 I = 5 L = 8
T = 7 V = 1 Y = 4    

I might also describe the different parts of the city using other adjectives, including 236756 and 851384. 

What words have I used to describe the city?

Write out both words below in the correct order to gain full marks.

Swarming

Heaving

Moving

Teeming

G = 4 I = 9 L = 1 O = 7 R = 8
S = 5 U = 2      

Right, then, code cracker, it's the final question! Well done for getting this far!

After a busy day of visiting various places, I am heading home. 

My house may not be a palace, but in the lovely evening sun it looks absolutely 41789725!

How do I describe my lovely little house?

• Question 1
A = 6 E = 4 L = 3 N = 1 P = 9
S = 5 T = 7 U = 2    

Welcome back to number code breaking, code cracker! Are you ready for some more number code solving? In this worksheet, we are going to be focusing on building your vocabulary to make sure that you understand and can spell some of the more challenging vocabulary that we use in Year 3. I know you are ready for the challenge because you're a number code breaking superhero!

Let's get started!

Can you find the code for UNPLEASANT? 

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
How did you get on code cracker? As you are an expert now, I'm sure you were using the table like a superstar! If we look at the table, we can see that U = 2, N = 1, P = 9, L = 3, E = 4, A = 6, S = 5, A = 6, N = 1, and T = 7. If we put the numbers together we get the code 2193465617, which is the code for UNPLEASANT.
  • Question 2
A = 2  E = 3 I = 5 N = 1 R = 9
S = 6 T = 4      

Spooky times...

Imagine that you are in a deep, dark wood and spy a spooky house.

Can you find the codes for the words below which might describe the mood?

1. Eerie 

2. Earnest 

Write out the codes in the correct boxes below.

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
How did you get on there, code cracker? Eerie and earnest are two excellent words to use when describing a quiet, spooky scene! If we look at the table, we can see that E = 3, E = 3, R = 9, I = 5 and E = 3. I think we know what the number for E is now...! So the code for EERIE is 33953. Then we need to do the same to find the code for EARNEST. E = 3, A - 2, R = 9, N = 1, E = 3, S = 6 and T = 4. So, the code for EARNEST is 3291364. I hope that makes sense to you, code cracker!
  • Question 3
A = 1 E = 6 H = 5 I = 9 L = 2
O = 3 S = 4 V = 8 Y =7  

A royal affair...

Wow, you are one amazing code cracker! Your number code cracking has got so good that the royal family have invited you to come and do some code cracking at one of their swanky royal pads! Can you work out the code for the following words, which describe your smart surroundings:

1. Lavish 

2. Lovely 

CORRECT ANSWER

Column A

Column B

Lavish
Lovely
EDDIE SAYS
Should I bow to you now, code cracker?! I hope you enjoyed your trip to the palace! Remember, though, there's always still code cracking to be done! So, to work out the code for LAVISH (which means very luxurious), we can use the table to work out that L = 2, A = 1, V = 8, I = 9, S = 4 and H = 5. So the code for LAVISH is 218945. Then, we need to do exactly the same to work out the code for LOVELY. Looking at the table, we see that L = 2, O = 3, V = 8, E = 6, L = 2 and Y = 7. So the code for LOVELY comes in at 238627, Marvellous code cracking, code cracker!
  • Question 4
D = 6 E = 9 I = 4 L = 1 N = 2
P = 5 S = 3      

A royal flush...

I think we should stay at the palace, code cracker, it's rather nice here...

However, for your next trick I want you to start turning codes into words! I know you've got this - be confident!

I think that this palace is 35192646!

What word have I used to describe our beautiful surroundings?

CORRECT ANSWER
Splendid
EDDIE SAYS
Splendid, code cracker! Did you get the word correct? Not to worry if not - let's join forces and work out the puzzle. You will need to use the table in reverse - look for the number first and then write down which letter it represents. For instance, 3 = S, 5 = P, 1 = L, 9 = E, 2 = N, 6 = D, 4 = I and 6 = D. If we put all of these letters together in order, we get the word SPLENDID. I think that that's rather splendid, don't you?
  • Question 5
A = 2 C = 3 E = 1 I = 9 J = 8
M = 6 S = 4 T = 5    

It's our last question from the palace now, code cracker! Maybe you should wear a crown to show that you are the number code cracking king or queen...

So, I also think that this palace and all who live in her are very 62814593. 

What word have I used to describe this splendid place?

CORRECT ANSWER
Majestic
EDDIE SAYS
I do think this palace is very majestic! Majestic means impressive and beautiful or grand. It is an excellent way to describe a building like a castle! We need to use the table, as before, by starting with the number. So, we see that 6 = M, 2 = A, 8 = J, 1 = E, 4 = S, 5 = T, 9 = I, 3 = C. If we put those letters together, we get the word MAJESTIC!
  • Question 6
A = 4 I = 3 L = 8 N = 2 Q = 9
R = 5 T = 6 U = 1    

I think we need a bit of peace and quiet after the excitement of the palace, code cracker! Now we are on to a calmer scene...

I would describe this beautiful place as being 65429138. 

What word have I used to describe this lovely lake?

CORRECT ANSWER
Tranquil
EDDIE SAYS
The answer is TRANQUIL, which is one of my favourite words. I think the world is at its best when it feels tranquil. This means that everything is calm and peaceful. Let's calmly and peacefully work out how to get to the answer... Using the table, work through each number individually and write down which letter it represents. If we do this, we can see that 6 = T, 5 = R, 4 = A, 2 = N, 9 = Q, 1 = U, 3 = I, and 8 = L. If we put the letters together we get the word TRANQUIL. And breathe...
  • Question 7
E = 1 I = 5 L = 9 N = 7 O = 6
S = 2        

I think we should stay somewhere quiet for a little while longer. 

I love walking through the beautiful hills at dusk, just before the sun sets. When I am walking here, I particularly like that my surroundings are 765219122. 

What is it that I particularly like about my surroundings?

CORRECT ANSWER
Noiseless
EDDIE SAYS
I love it when my surroundings are NOISELESS. This is another way of saying silent. It works well when we are trying to describe a really quiet scene. We get there by going back to the table and checking which letter each number in the number code represents. Let me show you: 7 = N, 6 = O, 5 = I, 2 = S, 1 = E, 9 = L, 1 = E, 2 = S, 2 = S. So we see that the code gives us the word NOISELESS. Peace at last!
  • Question 8
A = 1 E = 6 G = 0 I = 5 M = 9
N = 7 R = 3 S = 2 T = 8 W = 4

Right then, code cracker, we're nearing the end of your worksheet! Well done you - another one almost done! I hope you have learnt some new words and improved your spelling along the way - that's a really important skill for your 11+ exams. 

Now that we have had some peace and quiet, why don't we pop into town to see some friends? It's a little busier here!

In fact, I would say that it is 8669570 and 24139570 with people.

What are the two words that I have used to describe the city?

CORRECT ANSWER
Swarming
Teeming
EDDIE SAYS
I have described the city as TEEMING and SWARMING with people. Both of these words mean that a place is really busy, but they are so much more descriptive. Can you see how we got to the words from the number codes? Let's go through, just to check: Using our good old reliable table, as ever, we see that 8 = T, 6 = E, 6 = E, 9 = M, 5 = I, 7 = N, 0 = G. Then we can also see that 24139570 is the number code for SWARMING because we know that 2 = S, 4 = W, 1 = A, 3 = R and then 570 is exactly the same ending as the previous number code for TEEMING. We know that the last four letters of the word TEEMING are MING, so we know that these must be the last four letters of 24139570, so the word represented by this code is SWARMING.
  • Question 9
C =6 E = 3 H = 2 I = 5 L = 8
T = 7 V = 1 Y = 4    

I might also describe the different parts of the city using other adjectives, including 236756 and 851384. 

What words have I used to describe the city?

Write out both words below in the correct order to gain full marks.

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
It's busy, isn't it code cracker?! So, let's see how we can reach the correct answers: HECTIC and LIVELY. We know from the table that 2 = H, 3 = E, 6 = C, 7 = T, 5 = I, and 6 = C. This spells out the word HECTIC. Next, we see that 8 = L, 5 = I, 1 = V, 3 = E, 8 = L, 4 = Y. This spells out the word LIVELY. Both of these words are much more interesting ways to describe a scene rather than just saying "it was busy", aren't they?!
  • Question 10
G = 4 I = 9 L = 1 O = 7 R = 8
S = 5 U = 2      

Right, then, code cracker, it's the final question! Well done for getting this far!

After a busy day of visiting various places, I am heading home. 

My house may not be a palace, but in the lovely evening sun it looks absolutely 41789725!

How do I describe my lovely little house?

CORRECT ANSWER
Glorious
EDDIE SAYS
I think that my house, which may not be a palace, looks GLORIOUS in the evening sun! Do you know how we got to the answer? Let's work through it together, you code breaking superstar! I know that each number represents a letter, so I look back at my table and see that 4 = G, 1 = L, 7 = O, 8 = R, 9 = I =, 7 = O, 2 = U and 5 = S. This spells out the word GLORIOUS! In a descriptive piece of writing, this word really highlights how lovely something looks - make sure you can spell it. That's the end of our little adventure, code cracker. Well done on making such fantastic progress!
---- OR ----

Sign up for a £1 trial so you can track and measure your child's progress on this activity.

What is EdPlace?

We're your National Curriculum aligned online education content provider helping each child succeed in English, maths and science from year 1 to GCSE. With an EdPlace account you’ll be able to track and measure progress, helping each child achieve their best. We build confidence and attainment by personalising each child’s learning at a level that suits them.

Start your £1 trial

Start your trial for £1