The smart way to improve grades

Comprehensive & curriculum aligned

Affordable pricing from £10/month

Translate words into number codes

In this worksheet, students will turn words into number codes using a given code table as a base. It will develop their encoding and problem solving skills.

'Translate words into number codes' worksheet

Key stage:  KS 2

Curriculum topic:   Verbal Reasoning

Curriculum subtopic:   Number Code Breaking

Difficulty level:  

Worksheet Overview

QUESTION 1 of 10

Hi there code cracker!

Today we are going to learn about a new type of code.

Did you know that when you turn a word into code, every letter can be turned into a number by following a special pattern?

This special pattern is called a code!

Here is a code for us to investigate:

Letter Number (code)
A 0
B 5
C 7
D 3
E 1
F 6
G 9
H 8
I 4
J 2

Using the table, we need to work out what the code for the word CAGE is.

If we start with finding the code for C and then work through each letter one-by-one, we find that the code for CAGE is 7091.

Now let’s reverse what we did to find out which word is represented by the code 8103.

If we start with 8, we can see that it links to the letter H.

Then we can repeat this process for each of the numbers one-by-one to find that the word is HEAD.

Is that what you found?

It’s now your turn to be a code cracker and change words into and out of code. Make sure you check the code table for each question.

Good luck code cracker!

M = 4 N = 5 O = 3 R = 6 S = 7
T = 2 U = 1      

Welcome back to number code cracking, code cracker! We're going to be working on developing your vocabulary in this sheet - so you need to focus on spelling as well as number code cracking!

So, let's...

What is the code for MONSTROUS?

A = 1 G = 3 H = 5 L = 4 S = 6
T = 9 Y = 2      

So then, code cracker - let's keep number code cracking!

If I described my day as being GHASTLY, I would mean it had been really awful. 

What is the code for GHASTLY? 

C = 2 E = 5 N = 8 P = 7 R = 9
T = 3 U = 1      

Onto the next question then, code cracker!

Today I went for a bicycle ride.

Unfortunately, my bicycle tyre got a PUNCTURE!

What is the code for PUNCTURE? 

A = 7 D = 3 E = 6 L = 1 T =2

Brilliant work, code cracker! In fact, you should feel really pleased with how you are getting on.

Another word for 'really pleased' is ELATED.

What is the code for ELATED?

A = 9 O = 7 R = 1 S = 3 U = 5
V = 6 Y = 4      

It is almost time for tea in number code cracking land, code cracker! What do you like to have as a snack?

I like to have something SAVOURY - which means it does not taste sweet.

crisps

Crisps are my favourites! What is the code for SAVOURY? 

E = 7 I = 3 L = 6 P = 5 R = 4
S = 2 U = 0 V = 9    

What are your favourite foods, code cracker? I like to cook up a delicious meal after a long day of number code cracking! My favourite is spaghetti bolognese.

The one thing I don't like, though, are mushrooms. In fact, I think they are REPULSIVE (which means really horrible). 

What is the code for REPULSIVE?

A = 7 P = 5 O = 3 R = 6 U = 1

Brilliant work so far, code cracker! I bet you will be so excited when you finish your number code cracking sheet that you there will be an UPROAR!

What is the code for UPROAR?

B = 9 E = 2 N = 5 O = 3 P = 6
R = 4 S = 7      

We are almost there, code cracker! I don't know about you, but I am feeling quite sleepy now.

When I go to bed, I will SNORE until I hear the BEEP of my alarm. 

What are the codes for SNORE and BEEP?

Write them in the correct boxes below.

E = 6 F = 9 I = 3 R = 2 T = 7
U = 4 V = 1      

Two questions left, code cracker. We can do it!

Do you ever get hungry in the night, code cracker, and go in hunt of a midnight feast? If you do, you will have to be very FURTIVE, which means sneaky. 

What is the code for FURTIVE? 

A = 4 C = 7 F = 5 I = 3 N = 2
S = 1 T = 6      

You have made it to the final question, code cracker! Superb work, well done!

Now, how are you going to celebrate? How about having a 542641637 party?!

What word is 542641637 the code for?

• Question 1
M = 4 N = 5 O = 3 R = 6 S = 7
T = 2 U = 1      

Welcome back to number code cracking, code cracker! We're going to be working on developing your vocabulary in this sheet - so you need to focus on spelling as well as number code cracking!

So, let's...

What is the code for MONSTROUS?

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
Use the table carefully, code cracker! It's a good idea to write out the word and then write out the correct number above each letter, using the table to help you. If you do that, you will see: M = 4, O = 3, N = 5, S = 7, T = 2, R = 6, O = 3, U = 1 and S = 7. So, if we put it together we see that the code for MONSTROUS is 435726317!
  • Question 2

A = 1 G = 3 H = 5 L = 4 S = 6
T = 9 Y = 2      

So then, code cracker - let's keep number code cracking!

If I described my day as being GHASTLY, I would mean it had been really awful. 

What is the code for GHASTLY? 

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
I hope that you didn't find this too GHASTLY, code cracker! I know you can do it! Make sure you write out the word and then write the correct numbers above each letter. We can see that: G = 3, H = 5, A = 1, S = 6, T = 9, L = 4, Y = 2 So, we see that the code for GHASTLY is 3516942!
  • Question 3
C = 2 E = 5 N = 8 P = 7 R = 9
T = 3 U = 1      

Onto the next question then, code cracker!

Today I went for a bicycle ride.

Unfortunately, my bicycle tyre got a PUNCTURE!

What is the code for PUNCTURE? 

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
Have you ever had a PUNCTURE on a bike ride, code cracker? Isn't it a pain? At least it wasn't raining! So, use our usual technique: look at the table and work out which number corresponds to which letter. If we do, we see that: P = 7, U = 1, N = 8, C =2 , T = 3, U = 1, R = 9, E = 5 This means that the code for PUNCTURE is 71823195!
  • Question 4
A = 7 D = 3 E = 6 L = 1 T =2

Brilliant work, code cracker! In fact, you should feel really pleased with how you are getting on.

Another word for 'really pleased' is ELATED.

What is the code for ELATED?

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
I bet you're ELATED to be doing another number code cracking worksheet, code cracker! Well, perhaps you'll be ELATED when it's finished! Use the table to help you and we see that: E = 6, L = 1, A = 7, T = 2, E = 6 and D = 3 So, the code for ELATED is 617263.
  • Question 5
A = 9 O = 7 R = 1 S = 3 U = 5
V = 6 Y = 4      

It is almost time for tea in number code cracking land, code cracker! What do you like to have as a snack?

I like to have something SAVOURY - which means it does not taste sweet.

crisps

Crisps are my favourites! What is the code for SAVOURY? 

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
I hope I haven't made you hungry by mentioning snacks, code cracker! I wish I had some crisps in the cupboard now... Is this becoming more familiar to you now? I hope so. Take your time and don't rush! If we use the table we see that: S = 3, A = 9, V = 6, O = 7, U = 5, R = 1 and Y = 4 So the code for SAVOURY is 3967514!
  • Question 6
E = 7 I = 3 L = 6 P = 5 R = 4
S = 2 U = 0 V = 9    

What are your favourite foods, code cracker? I like to cook up a delicious meal after a long day of number code cracking! My favourite is spaghetti bolognese.

The one thing I don't like, though, are mushrooms. In fact, I think they are REPULSIVE (which means really horrible). 

What is the code for REPULSIVE?

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
You certainly don't find number code cracking REPULSIVE, do you code cracker?! I hope the tables are helping you and that you're finding this easier with practice! Here, we can see from the table that: R = 4, E = 7, P = 5, U = 0, L = 6, S = 2, I = 3, V = 9 and E = 7. If we put that series of numbers together we get 475062397, which is the code for REPULSIVE!
  • Question 7
A = 7 P = 5 O = 3 R = 6 U = 1

Brilliant work so far, code cracker! I bet you will be so excited when you finish your number code cracking sheet that you there will be an UPROAR!

What is the code for UPROAR?

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
I hope this question didn't cause you too much UPROAR! I think it was quite a straightforward one... If you haven't got it right yet, don't panic! Read the explanation carefully and try again - I'm here to help! So, we can see from the table that: U = 1, P = 5, R = 6, O = 3, A = 7 and R = 6 So, the code for UPROAR is 156376!
  • Question 8
B = 9 E = 2 N = 5 O = 3 P = 6
R = 4 S = 7      

We are almost there, code cracker! I don't know about you, but I am feeling quite sleepy now.

When I go to bed, I will SNORE until I hear the BEEP of my alarm. 

What are the codes for SNORE and BEEP?

Write them in the correct boxes below.

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
Did you work out the correct codes? I certainly hope these sheets aren't making you SNORE too much! If we use the table, we see that SNORE is as follows: S = 7, N = 5, O = 3, R = 4 and E = 2. So the code for SNORE is 75342. Then, we can also see that B = 9, E = 2, E = 2 and P = 6. So the code for BEEP is 9226. We're getting there!
  • Question 9
E = 6 F = 9 I = 3 R = 2 T = 7
U = 4 V = 1      

Two questions left, code cracker. We can do it!

Do you ever get hungry in the night, code cracker, and go in hunt of a midnight feast? If you do, you will have to be very FURTIVE, which means sneaky. 

What is the code for FURTIVE? 

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
We are almost there, code cracker - let's keep going! It's important to make sure we keep the effort going right to the end! Follow the table closely and if you do, you can see the following: F = 9, U = 4, R = 2, T = 7, I = 3, V = 1 and E = 6. This means that the code for FURTIVE is 9427316!
  • Question 10
A = 4 C = 7 F = 5 I = 3 N = 2
S = 1 T = 6      

You have made it to the final question, code cracker! Superb work, well done!

Now, how are you going to celebrate? How about having a 542641637 party?!

What word is 542641637 the code for?

CORRECT ANSWER
Fantastic
EDDIE SAYS
You definitely deserve a party after all your efforts here, code cracker! Well done! Focus carefully on our last explanation to make sure you understand how we got our answer. Use the table closely, as ever, and then we see that: 5 = F, 4 = A, 2 = N, 6 = T, 4 = A, 1 = S, 6 = T, 3 = I, 7 = C. So, my suggestion is that you have a FANTASTIC party! You deserve it, you number code cracking superstar!
---- OR ----

Sign up for a £1 trial so you can track and measure your child's progress on this activity.

What is EdPlace?

We're your National Curriculum aligned online education content provider helping each child succeed in English, maths and science from year 1 to GCSE. With an EdPlace account you’ll be able to track and measure progress, helping each child achieve their best. We build confidence and attainment by personalising each child’s learning at a level that suits them.

Get started
laptop

Start your £1 trial today.
Subscribe from £10/month.