The smart way to improve grades

Comprehensive & curriculum aligned

Affordable pricing from £10/month

Translate words into numbers using codes

In this worksheet, students will turn words into number codes using a given code table as a base. It will develop their encoding and problem solving skills.

'Translate words into numbers using codes' worksheet

Key stage:  KS 2

Curriculum topic:  Verbal Reasoning

Curriculum subtopic:  Number Code Breaking

Difficulty level:  

down

Worksheet Overview

QUESTION 1 of 10

Hi there code cracker!

Today we are going to learn about a new type of code.

Did you know that when you turn a word into code, every letter can be turned into a number by following a special pattern?

This special pattern is called a code!

Here is a code for us to investigate:

Letter Number (code)
A 0
B 5
C 7
D 3
E 1
F 6
G 9
H 8
I 4
J 2

Using the table, we need to work out what the code for the word CAGE is.

If we start with finding the code for C and then work through each letter one-by-one, we find that the code for CAGE is 7091.

Now let’s reverse what we did to find out which word is represented by the code 8103.

If we start with 8, we can see that it links to the letter H.

Then we can repeat this process for each of the numbers one-by-one to find that the word is HEAD.

Is that what you found?

It’s now your turn to be a code cracker and change words into and out of code. Make sure you check the code table for each question.

Good luck code cracker!

A = 8 E = 7 G = 1 R = 2 T = 5

I think we are ready to tackle some number code cracking today, code cracker! I hope you've got a piece of paper and a pen or pencil ready.

Let's go!

(Remember to use the table above to help you!).

I've decided to go out on a walk and run into a little friend who gives me a bit of a fright! 

What is the code for RAT?

A = 1 C = 4 D = 2 E = 5 R = 0
S = 9        

I feel a bit shocked when I run into Mr Rat, that's for sure!

In fact, initially I am a bit SCARED. What is the number code for SCARED?

E = 9 F = 2 L = 0 O = 6 R = 5
S = 3 W = 7      

Now that I have met Mr Rat, I decide to carry on my walk. My favourite thing to do when I go for a walk is to stop and smell the beautiful flowers.

What is the code for FLOWERS? 

E = 3 O = 5 R = 9 S = 6  

I decide to pick some of the flowers. I'm going to visit my mum later and she also loves flowers!

Her favourite flowers are ROSES. What is the code for ROSES?

E = 2 I = 4 N = 1 R = 3 S = 9
U = 7        

Brilliant stuff, code cracker! I hope you can continue to keep me company on my walk! 

I have reached one of my favourite places: the top of the hill. I love the view from here! 

I love to watch the sunrise from here. What is the code for SUNRISE?

A = 9 F = 4 M = 3 R = 5  

You are over halfway, code cracker, can you believe it? I'm only sorry it means our lovely walk is almost over!

Moving on from the sunrise, I head down the hill to my friend Sean's farm.

What is the code for FARM? 

C = 3 E = 1 H = 0 I = 4 K = 6
N =2 S = 7      

On we go, then, code cracker! Now that we are at the farm, Sean has asked if we would help feed some of the animals. I would love to! 

My favourite animals to feed are the chickens! What is the code for the word CHICKENS? 

A = 1 D = 2 I = 8 M = 3 N = 9
R = 5 U = 6      

Only a few questions left now, code cracker! I can't believe how quickly it's gone!

Now we are going to say good-bye to Sean at the farm and carry on our walk. 

It is rather wet and windy today, but I quite like it when it's like that! There is a lot of MUD and RAIN. Can you find the codes for these two words?

Write the two codes in the correct boxes below.

A = 6 E = 3 I = 4 K = 9 L = 0
M = 1 T = 7 Y = 5    

Ok, then, code cracker - let's keep cracking these codes!

We are now going to stop at the shop - I need a cup of tea after that rainy walk!

What is the code for MILKY TEA? 

You must leave only one space between the two codes, otherwise your answer will be marked as incorrect!

A = 4 C = 1 E = 8 F = 7 I = 3
K = 2 R = 5 T = 6 U = 9  

You've made it to the final question, code cracker. Brilliant work! You should feel very proud of your progress. 

Now it's time to have that cup of tea! I always think tea tastes better with a yummy treat, too. My favourite is a slice of FRUIT CAKE.

What is the code for FRUIT CAKE?

Remember to leave only one space between the two codes, otherwise your answer will be marked as incorrect!

• Question 1
A = 8 E = 7 G = 1 R = 2 T = 5

I think we are ready to tackle some number code cracking today, code cracker! I hope you've got a piece of paper and a pen or pencil ready.

Let's go!

(Remember to use the table above to help you!).

I've decided to go out on a walk and run into a little friend who gives me a bit of a fright! 

What is the code for RAT?

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
I hope the picture of the rat wasn't too much of a surprise, code cracker! I can't say they're my favourite animal, but this fellow looks like a friendly sort of rat I think! How did you get on? Remember you must use the table to help you! Also, it's a great idea to write out the word and then write the code above it to make sure you know which number corresponds to which letter. You can see that the following letters correspond with the following numbers: R = 2 A = 8 T = 5 So, the code for RAT is 285!
  • Question 2
A = 1 C = 4 D = 2 E = 5 R = 0
S = 9        

I feel a bit shocked when I run into Mr Rat, that's for sure!

In fact, initially I am a bit SCARED. What is the number code for SCARED?

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
Did you use the handy hint to help you code cracker? I find it is really helpful to write out the word and then write out which letter corresponds to each letter above it - it stops me getting so muddled! If you did this, hopefully you might have seen the following: S = 9 C = 4 A = 1 R = 0 E = 5 D = 2 So, the code for SCARED is 941052!
  • Question 3

E = 9 F = 2 L = 0 O = 6 R = 5
S = 3 W = 7      

Now that I have met Mr Rat, I decide to carry on my walk. My favourite thing to do when I go for a walk is to stop and smell the beautiful flowers.

What is the code for FLOWERS? 

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
Did you find the right code this time, code cracker? Remember to write out the word and the code above it to help you! If you do, we see the following: F = 2 L = 0 O = 6 W = 7 E = 9 R = 5 S = 3 So, the code for FLOWERS is 2067953! Now let's keep practising!
  • Question 4
E = 3 O = 5 R = 9 S = 6  

I decide to pick some of the flowers. I'm going to visit my mum later and she also loves flowers!

Her favourite flowers are ROSES. What is the code for ROSES?

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
I hope this one felt easier as the letter S was repeated! Well done so far, code cracker. Let's keep trying to work out these codes! Use the same technique as ever and work out which number corresponds to which letter: R = 9 O = 5 S = 6 E = 3 S = 6 So, the code for ROSES is 95636!
  • Question 5
E = 2 I = 4 N = 1 R = 3 S = 9
U = 7        

Brilliant stuff, code cracker! I hope you can continue to keep me company on my walk! 

I have reached one of my favourite places: the top of the hill. I love the view from here! 

I love to watch the sunrise from here. What is the code for SUNRISE?

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
This was a slightly longer number code, code cracker. How did you get on? Let's run through the explanation - even if you got it right, it's always important to check your method. So, I would definitely write out the word and then, using the table, write out which number corresponds to which letter above or next to it. So, we get the following: S = 9 U = 7 N = 1 R = 3 I = 4 S = 9 E = 2 So, we see that the code for SUNRISE is 9713492!
  • Question 6
A = 9 F = 4 M = 3 R = 5  

You are over halfway, code cracker, can you believe it? I'm only sorry it means our lovely walk is almost over!

Moving on from the sunrise, I head down the hill to my friend Sean's farm.

What is the code for FARM? 

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
Did you get the right answer, code cracker? It was a bit of a shorter word this time, so it should have been a bit easier! Let's keep using our usual technique and we'll see the following: F = 4 A = 9 R = 5 M = 3 So, the code for FARM is 4953!
  • Question 7
C = 3 E = 1 H = 0 I = 4 K = 6
N =2 S = 7      

On we go, then, code cracker! Now that we are at the farm, Sean has asked if we would help feed some of the animals. I would love to! 

My favourite animals to feed are the chickens! What is the code for the word CHICKENS? 

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
I hope you're excited for feeding the chickens, code cracker! Did you work out the code? It's another longer word, so definitely make sure you write out the word and the numbers to help you! If you did, hopefully your answer would have looked like this: C = 3 H = 0 I = 4 C = 3 K = 6 E = 1 N = 2 S = 7 So, the code for CHICKENS is 30436127!
  • Question 8
A = 1 D = 2 I = 8 M = 3 N = 9
R = 5 U = 6      

Only a few questions left now, code cracker! I can't believe how quickly it's gone!

Now we are going to say good-bye to Sean at the farm and carry on our walk. 

It is rather wet and windy today, but I quite like it when it's like that! There is a lot of MUD and RAIN. Can you find the codes for these two words?

Write the two codes in the correct boxes below.

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
How did you do on this one, code cracker? I love walking in the MUD and RAIN! The code for MUD is 362 and the code for RAIN is 5189. Let's work it out as follows, using the table: M = 3 U = 6 D = 2 R = 5 A = 1 I = 8 N = 9 So there you have your codes! Two questions left!
  • Question 9
A = 6 E = 3 I = 4 K = 9 L = 0
M = 1 T = 7 Y = 5    

Ok, then, code cracker - let's keep cracking these codes!

We are now going to stop at the shop - I need a cup of tea after that rainy walk!

What is the code for MILKY TEA? 

You must leave only one space between the two codes, otherwise your answer will be marked as incorrect!

CORRECT ANSWER
14095 736
EDDIE SAYS
I am definitely ready for a cup of tea after this number code cracking and walking and adventure! If you used our usual technique, you should have got the two correct codes. Using the table, we see that: M = 1 I = 4 L = 0 K = 9 Y = 5 T = 7 E = 3 A = 6 So the code for MILKY TEA is 14095 736!
  • Question 10
A = 4 C = 1 E = 8 F = 7 I = 3
K = 2 R = 5 T = 6 U = 9  

You've made it to the final question, code cracker. Brilliant work! You should feel very proud of your progress. 

Now it's time to have that cup of tea! I always think tea tastes better with a yummy treat, too. My favourite is a slice of FRUIT CAKE.

What is the code for FRUIT CAKE?

Remember to leave only one space between the two codes, otherwise your answer will be marked as incorrect!

CORRECT ANSWER
75936 1428
EDDIE SAYS
You did it, code cracker! Well done! Now, let's just check that we got our last question correct or work out where we went wrong. Use the same technique and refer to the table. If we do, we can match the following letters and numbers: F = 7 R = 5 U = 9 I = 3 T = 6 C = 1 A = 4 K = 2 E = 8 So, the code for FRUIT CAKE is 75936 1428! Well done, code cracker!
---- OR ----

Sign up for a £1 trial so you can track and measure your child's progress on this activity.

What is EdPlace?

We're your National Curriculum aligned online education content provider helping each child succeed in English, maths and science from year 1 to GCSE. With an EdPlace account you’ll be able to track and measure progress, helping each child achieve their best. We build confidence and attainment by personalising each child’s learning at a level that suits them.

Start your £1 trial

Start your trial for £1