The smart way to improve grades

Comprehensive & curriculum aligned

Affordable pricing from £10/month

Capital Letters: The Word 'I'

In this worksheet, students practise using a capital letter when they write the personal pronoun 'I'.

'Capital Letters: The Word 'I'' worksheet

Key stage:  KS 1

Curriculum topic:   Writing: Vocabulary, Grammar and Punctuation

Curriculum subtopic:   Use Capital Letters

Difficulty level:  

Worksheet Overview

QUESTION 1 of 10

When we write the word 'I' we always use a capital letter - even when it is not at the beginning of a sentence.

Boy with tennis racket

Tomorrow I am hoping to play tennis but if it rains I will go swimming instead.

In this worksheet you can practise writing the word 'I' with a capital letter. You also have to remember to finish each sentence with a full stop.

Write out this sentence again, writing the word 'I' with a capital letter.

i love ice cream.

i am hungry.

Write out this sentence again, writing the word 'I' with a capital letter. Don't forget to use a capital letter at the beginning of the sentence as well!

yesterday i went swimming.

Write out this sentence again, writing the word 'I' with a capital letter. Don't forget to use a capital letter at the beginning of the sentence as well!

on my next birthday i will be six.

next year i will start piano lessons.

jordan and i like playing computer games.

tomorrow i am going to the seaside.

if it rains i will go home.

when it snows i like making a snowman.

last night i went to the cinema.

• Question 1

i love ice cream.

CORRECT ANSWER
I love ice cream.
EDDIE SAYS
The important thing to remember is that all proper nouns should have a capital letter. Names of people, places and objects are proper nouns. 'I' is a pronoun as it is talking about a particular person. Give the next question a try.
  • Question 2

i am hungry.

CORRECT ANSWER
I am hungry.
EDDIE SAYS
How did you get on? Remember whenever you need to write 'I' it should be written in capitals. If it is written in lower case it makes the phoneme 'i' as in 'igloo'. This gives us the wrong meaning and our sentence wouldn't make sense.
  • Question 3

yesterday i went swimming.

CORRECT ANSWER
Yesterday I went swimming.
EDDIE SAYS
Did you get it correct? Remember you also need to use a capital letter at the start of the sentence.
  • Question 4

on my next birthday i will be six.

CORRECT ANSWER
On my next birthday I will be six.
EDDIE SAYS
Both 'on' and 'I' should have capital letters in this sentence. All sentences should start with a capital letter. 'I' should always be written as a capital. You can do this!
  • Question 5

next year i will start piano lessons.

CORRECT ANSWER
Next year I will start piano lessons.
EDDIE SAYS
Are you getting the hang of this? Remember although 'I' is a pronoun it should be written as a capital. Keep up the good effort!
  • Question 6

jordan and i like playing computer games.

CORRECT ANSWER
Jordan and I like playing computer games.
EDDIE SAYS
Both 'Jordan' and 'I' should have capital letters in this example. Just keep reminding yourself that all names have capitals, you always start a sentence with a capital and 'I' is always written as a capital. Keep it up superstar!
  • Question 7

tomorrow i am going to the seaside.

CORRECT ANSWER
Tomorrow I am going to the seaside.
EDDIE SAYS
How did you get on? Don't forget the capital letter at the start of your sentence!
  • Question 8

if it rains i will go home.

CORRECT ANSWER
If it rains I will go home.
EDDIE SAYS
Great effort! Keep going! 'If' needs a capital letter as it is the first word in the sentence.
  • Question 9

when it snows i like making a snowman.

CORRECT ANSWER
When it snows I like making a snowman.
EDDIE SAYS
Have you got the hang of this now? Remember your capital letter to start your sentence. 'I' should always be written as a capital so it is not mixed up with the phoneme 'i'.
  • Question 10

last night i went to the cinema.

CORRECT ANSWER
Last night I went to the cinema.
EDDIE SAYS
Excellent effort! 'Last' should have a capital letter as it is the first word in the sentence.
---- OR ----

Sign up for a £1 trial so you can track and measure your child's progress on this activity.

What is EdPlace?

We're your National Curriculum aligned online education content provider helping each child succeed in English, maths and science from year 1 to GCSE. With an EdPlace account you’ll be able to track and measure progress, helping each child achieve their best. We build confidence and attainment by personalising each child’s learning at a level that suits them.

Get started
laptop

Start your £1 trial today.
Subscribe from £10/month.