The smart way to improve grades

Comprehensive & curriculum aligned

Affordable pricing from £10/month

Identify Text Meaning: Poetry 3

In this worksheet, students will read three poems and consider their use of vocabulary.

'Identify Text Meaning: Poetry 3' worksheet

Key stage:  KS 2

Curriculum topic:  Reading: Comprehension

Curriculum subtopic:  Discuss Words and Phrases

Difficulty level:  

down

Worksheet Overview

QUESTION 1 of 10

Here are three lovely poems, written by two famous poets.                 

+++++++++++++++++++++++

I Wandered Lonely as a Cloud

I wandered lonely as a cloud

That floats on high o'er vales and hills,

When all at once I saw a crowd,

A host, of golden daffodils;

Beside the lake, beneath the trees,

Fluttering and dancing in the breeze.

Continuous as the stars that shine

And twinkle on the milky way,

They stretched in never-ending line

Along the margin of a bay:

Ten thousand saw I at a glance,

Tossing their heads in sprightly dance.

by William Wordsworth

+++++++++++++++++++++++

Clouds

The clouds were gray all day.

At last they departed

And the blue diamonds shone again.

I watched the clouds float past and flow back

Like waves across the sea,

Waves that are foamy and soft,

When they hear clouds calling

Mother Sea, send up up your song 

of hushaby!

by Hilda Conkling

+++++++++++++++++++++++

Dandelion

O little soldier with the golden helmet,

What are you guarding on my lawn?

You with your green gun

And your yellow beard,

Why do you stand so stiff?

There is only the grass to fight!

by Hilda Conkling

+++++++++++++++++++++++

All of these poems use figurative language which means words that describe something by comparing it to something else. Figurative language makes our senses react to words in the poem, as the words used make us feel as if we can hear, see, smell, touch or taste those things mentioned in the poem. 

Remember that you can see the poems again by clicking on HELP.

Which poem is about clouds? How do you know?

Explain your answer using sentences.

What is 'I Wandered Lonely as a Cloud' about?

In 'I Wandered Lonely as a Cloud' why does the person feel like a cloud?

In 'I Wandered Lonely as a Cloud' how is the movement of the daffodils described?

In 'Clouds', how does the poet describe the movement of the clouds?

In 'Clouds', what are the "blue diamonds" that Conkling describes?

Personification is when objects are made to do things which only people or animals can do.

How do 'I Wandered Lonely as a Cloud' and 'Clouds' use personification? Why? 

How does Hilda Conkling use personification in 'The Dandelion'? Why?

Apart from using personification, are there any other similarities between the poems?

Which is your favourite poem? Why?

• Question 1

Which poem is about clouds? How do you know?

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
Award up to two marks for a similar answer that refers to the text and is written in sentences:
'Clouds' by Hilda Conkling is about clouds. I know this because it describes the movement of the clouds and they way they look in the sky.
  • Question 2

What is 'I Wandered Lonely as a Cloud' about?

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
Award up to two marks for a similar answer that refers to the text and is written in sentences:
'I Wandered Lonely as a Cloud' is about a person. This person is walking around outside and looking at lots of beautiful daffodils around him.
  • Question 3

In 'I Wandered Lonely as a Cloud' why does the person feel like a cloud?

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
The person in the poem says they feel like a cloud because they are wandering around the countryside, like a cloud blows across the sky. I think this person feels happy.
  • Question 4

In 'I Wandered Lonely as a Cloud' how is the movement of the daffodils described?

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
Award one mark for a similar answer that refers to the text and is written in sentences:
The daffodils are "fluttering and dancing in the breeze" and "tossing their heads in sprightly dance".
  • Question 5

In 'Clouds', how does the poet describe the movement of the clouds?

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
The poet says the clouds move back and forth across the sky, they "float past and flow back". This is the same as waves moving in and out from the shore.
  • Question 6

In 'Clouds', what are the "blue diamonds" that Conkling describes?

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
Award one mark for a similar answer that refers to the text and is written in sentences:
I think the "blue diamonds" are the little pieces of blue sky that are peeping our from behind the grey clouds as the clouds move about.
  • Question 7

Personification is when objects are made to do things which only people or animals can do.

How do 'I Wandered Lonely as a Cloud' and 'Clouds' use personification? Why? 

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
Award up to four marks for a similar answer that refers to the text and is written in sentences:
'I Wandered Lonely as a Cloud' describes the daffodils as being in 'a crowd', like people, and 'dancing' in the breeze and 'tossing their heads' like people or animals.
In 'Clouds' the clouds are described as 'calling' to the waves below, again like a person or an animal.
The poets use these descriptions to make the objects come alive to us as we read. This makes the poems more interesting to read.
  • Question 8

How does Hilda Conkling use personification in 'The Dandelion'? Why?

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
Hilda Conkling pretends that the flower is a soldier on guard who has a green gun and a yellow beard! I think she does this to make the poem funny and interesting to read.
  • Question 9

Apart from using personification, are there any other similarities between the poems?

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
Award up to four marks for each of the following points included in their explanation:
1. Both 'I Wandered Lonely as a Cloud' and 'Clouds' make us feel like we are moving around too. The poets use words that describe the movement of the wind and objects in it.
2. Both 'I Wandered Lonely as a Cloud' and 'Clouds' describe the objects as being like something else: the daffodils are like stars, and the clouds are like waves.
3. All the poems use adjectives and/or adverbs, such as: "golden", "blue diamonds", "twinkle", "sprightly dance", "foamy and soft" and "green".
4. All of the poems make us feel happy because of their lovely descriptions.
  • Question 10

Which is your favourite poem? Why?

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
Award up to two marks for an answer that gives a reasoned explanation, refers to the text and is written in sentences. For example:

I really like the way that 'The Dandelion' pretends that the flower is a soldier. I think it is funny to say that it has a "green gun" and a "yellow beard".

or

I really like 'I Wandered Lonely as a Cloud' because it makes me feel like I am really there and looking at all the daffodils. I like the words that the poet uses to describe the daffodils: "golden", and "tossing their heads".

or

I really like 'Clouds' because it starts off feeling grey and dark, then brightens up with "blue diamonds" and clouds that are like waves in the sky. I like the idea of the clouds calling to the waves for a bedtime song.
Preview ---- OR ----

Sign up for a £1 trial so you can track and measure your child's progress on this activity.

What is EdPlace?

We're your National Curriculum aligned online education content provider helping each child succeed in English, maths and science from year 1 to GCSE. With an EdPlace account you’ll be able to track and measure progress, helping each child achieve their best. We build confidence and attainment by personalising each child’s learning at a level that suits them.

Start your £1 trial

Start your trial for £1