The smart way to improve grades

Comprehensive & curriculum aligned

Affordable pricing from £10/month

Practise Retrieval Questions

In this worksheet, students will practise answering retrieval style questions in preparation for the SATs reading paper.

'Practise Retrieval Questions' worksheet

Key stage:  KS 2

Curriculum topic:   Exam-Style Questions: SATs English

Curriculum subtopic:   Exam-Style Questions: Retrieval Questions

Difficulty level:  

Worksheet Overview

QUESTION 1 of 10

Welcome to this SATs reading activity! Over the course of this worksheet, you will practice how to answer retrieval type questions in preparation for the SATs reading test.

The SATs reading test will ask you to read and answer questions about three different texts.

These texts will be varied. They could be fictional, factual or poetry.

Retrieval questions come in different forms and will often begin with: 'who', 'what', 'where', 'when', 'why' or 'how'.

When answering a retrieval question, you may find the answer very easy to find, you may have already text marked it or you may need to search a little harder.

Top tips when answering retrieval questions:

- Use textmarking! Look for names, places, dates, years in particular as these could all come in handy.

- Do not guess. It can be so easy to guess when answering this type of question but you must check back in the text again.

- A retrieval question could begin with 'who' if it does, it is asking for a person, 'where' means it is asking for a place etc.

Don't be fooled into thinking that all retrieval questions are literal and easy to answer, you will probably have to look in detail at the text to find the answer.

Over to you now to spend some time practising how to answer retrieval questions based on different types of texts. Good luck!

kids reading books

Read the passage below carefully.

The quiet, peaceful village, where Mr Oakley lives, is so beautiful that it is just like a postcard or painting. At the centre of the village is a traditional, quaint church and it really is the centre of the villagers' lives. Most evenings there is the unmistakable, pleasant sound of hymns being sung with pride. In addition (every Sunday) the bells ring out confidently across the land. 

Who is named as living in the village?

Evacuees

Villagers

Mr Oakley

Pensioners

Read the passage below carefully then choose the correct ending for the statement below.

The quiet, peaceful village, where Mr Oakley lives, is so beautiful that it is just like a postcard or painting. At the centre of the village, there is a traditional, quaint church and it really is the centre of the villagers' lives. Most evenings there is the unmistakable, pleasant sound of hymns being sung with pride. In addition (every Sunday) the bells ring out confidently across the land. 

The village can be described as..

...a popular tourist attraction.

...quiet and peaceful.

...an unusual settlement.

...a dirty, neglected town.

Is the village a tranquil place to live?

Explain your answer. (2 marks)

The quiet, peaceful village, where Mr Oakley lives, is so beautiful that it is just like a postcard or painting. At the centre of the village, there is a traditional, quaint church and it really is the centre of the villagers' lives. Most evenings there is the unmistakable, pleasant sound of hymns being sung with pride. In addition (every Sunday) the bells ring out confidently across the land.

Small, well-kept houses are built around this amazing, stunning church and in the gardens, villagers are often working hard. There are marvelous, looked-after vegetable patches as well as strong, helpful boys building the essential, sturdy Anderson shelters. In the distance, the local train can be heard pulling into the station and the regular, gentle whistle as it pulls away on its next journey. 

Which building is centre of the village?

Small, well-kept houses are built around this amazing, stunning church and in the gardens, villagers are often working hard. There are marvelous, looked-after vegetable patches as well as strong, helpful boys building the essential, sturdy Anderson shelters. In the distance, the local train can be heard pulling into the station and the regular, gentle whistle as it pulls away on its next journey. 

Write down two different types of chores the villagers had to complete.

Read the final part of this setting description below.

Apart from the train and the church; there is very little sound in this quiet, tranquil village. Most people walk by calmly and a feeling of peace and happiness can be felt...

Can you find the adverb that shows that people take their time in the village?

Read this extract from a diary entry below.

Dear Diary,

Great news! You'll never believe what's happened to me today. I've only gone and won an unbelievable, all-inclusive weekend break at Alton Towers! I was shaking as I read the letter, I couldn't wait to let everybody in the house know that I was a glorious, ecstatic winner.

Why is the author of the diary so delighted?

The author won the lottery

The author won a fantastic prize

The author is feeling ecstatic

The author has won an all-inclusive break at Thorpe Park

There is one, unfortunate downside to it though, I can only take three people, how do I pick; for a start, there's Mum and Dad, Julie my sister and all my best, closest friends at school? I just know somebody is going to be left feeling bitterly disappointed. Anyway, I'm going to worry about choosing later...

What is the author worried about? (1 mark)

Read this final extract from the diary entry below.

Undoubtedly the ride I am most looking forward to is Oblivion due to the fact it is supposed to be incredible when you are tilted on the edge before plummeting into the spooky-looking mist! However, that Bob Sweeper has put a downer on it already, telling me that he's been on it and it broke down; well that's one name less that I don't have to think about taking!

What did Bob Sweeper try to discredit? (1 mark)

Undoubtedly the ride I am most looking forward to is Oblivion due to the fact it is supposed to be incredible when you are tilted on the edge before plummeting into the spooky-looking mist! However, that Bob Sweeper has put a downer on it already, telling me that he's been on it and it broke down; well that's one name less that I don't have to think about taking!

Why has the author decided that Bob Sweeper won't be on the guest list for Alton Towers? (1 mark)

• Question 1

The quiet, peaceful village, where Mr Oakley lives, is so beautiful that it is just like a postcard or painting. At the centre of the village is a traditional, quaint church and it really is the centre of the villagers' lives. Most evenings there is the unmistakable, pleasant sound of hymns being sung with pride. In addition (every Sunday) the bells ring out confidently across the land. 

Who is named as living in the village?

CORRECT ANSWER
Mr Oakley
EDDIE SAYS
How did you do with this first question? Did you notice that 'Mr Oakley' is named as living in the village? This was a straightforward retrieval question but it did require you to read the text carefully so you identified the specific name of the man who lives in the village.
  • Question 2

Read the passage below carefully then choose the correct ending for the statement below.

The village can be described as..

CORRECT ANSWER
...quiet and peaceful.
EDDIE SAYS
Did you spot that the most appropriate ending for the statement is 'quiet and peaceful'? In this type of retrieval question, you need to read through all of the options carefully and then compare each to the text in order find the correct answer.
  • Question 3

Is the village a tranquil place to live?

Explain your answer. (2 marks)

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
The author describes the village as "quiet" and "peaceful" so hopefully you identified quickly that the village is tranquil. To achieve the second mark you had to reference the descriptions of the village life as centred around the church. This also conveys a calm lifestyle.
  • Question 4

Small, well-kept houses are built around this amazing, stunning church and in the gardens, villagers are often working hard. There are marvelous, looked-after vegetable patches as well as strong, helpful boys building the essential, sturdy Anderson shelters. In the distance, the local train can be heard pulling into the station and the regular, gentle whistle as it pulls away on its next journey. 

Which building is centre of the village?

CORRECT ANSWER
Church
The Church
EDDIE SAYS
At this stage you should be beginning to feel more confident. Nice job if you identified that the church is central within the village as the houses are described as being built "around" it. To give you some context, this passage is set during World War II and the church was at the very heart of village life.
  • Question 5

Small, well-kept houses are built around this amazing, stunning church and in the gardens, villagers are often working hard. There are marvelous, looked-after vegetable patches as well as strong, helpful boys building the essential, sturdy Anderson shelters. In the distance, the local train can be heard pulling into the station and the regular, gentle whistle as it pulls away on its next journey. 

Write down two different types of chores the villagers had to complete.

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
Don't worry if you found this tricky! In order to gain both marks in this question, you needed to provide two separate examples retrieved from the text. For example: the villagers had to maintain the vegetable patches and young people were asked to build Anderson shelters as protection from the German bombing raids.
  • Question 6

Read the final part of this setting description below.

Apart from the train and the church; there is very little sound in this quiet, tranquil village. Most people walk by calmly and a feeling of peace and happiness can be felt...

Can you find the adverb that shows that people take their time in the village?

CORRECT ANSWER
calmly
EDDIE SAYS
Did you manage to identify the adverb "calmly"? Remember, don't guess! Take your time to read through carefully to answer accurately.
  • Question 7

Dear Diary,

Great news! You'll never believe what's happened to me today. I've only gone and won an unbelievable, all-inclusive weekend break at Alton Towers! I was shaking as I read the letter, I couldn't wait to let everybody in the house know that I was a glorious, ecstatic winner.

Why is the author of the diary so delighted?

CORRECT ANSWER
The author won a fantastic prize
EDDIE SAYS
When you are given multiple-choice options, some can be taken directly from the text (like here) but this doesn't mean they are the correct answer! Make sure you take your time to read through carefully and select the most accurate answer, not simply one that mentions a word that is also in the text.
  • Question 8

There is one, unfortunate downside to it though, I can only take three people, how do I pick; for a start, there's Mum and Dad, Julie my sister and all my best, closest friends at school? I just know somebody is going to be left feeling bitterly disappointed. Anyway, I'm going to worry about choosing later...

What is the author worried about? (1 mark)

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
Did you manage to retrieve that the author is worried as he or she is going to struggle to pick who to share the prize with!
  • Question 9

What did Bob Sweeper try to discredit? (1 mark)

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
Bob Sweeper discredited Oblivion by telling the author that it had broken down! Don't worry if you struggled with the meaning of 'discredit'. It means to harm the good reputation of something, which in this example is the ride.
  • Question 10

Why has the author decided that Bob Sweeper won't be on the guest list for Alton Towers? (1 mark)

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
The author isn't putting Bob Sweeper on the guest list as he discredited Oblivion! He's ruining the exciting mood for the author. Great work you've completed another activity! How about completing another one so you feel super confident?
Try it for free ---- OR ----

Sign up for a £1 trial so you can track and measure your child's progress on this activity.

What is EdPlace?

We're your National Curriculum aligned online education content provider helping each child succeed in English, maths and science from year 1 to GCSE. With an EdPlace account you’ll be able to track and measure progress, helping each child achieve their best. We build confidence and attainment by personalising each child’s learning at a level that suits them.

Get started
laptop

Start your £1 trial today.
Subscribe from £10/month.