The smart way to improve grades

Comprehensive & curriculum aligned

Affordable pricing from £10/month

Identify Active and Passive Voice

In this worksheet, students will be asked to complete a variety of SATs style questions in the form of practice exam questions based on the subject of the active and passive voice.

'Identify Active and Passive Voice' worksheet

Key stage:  KS 2

Curriculum topic:   Exam-Style Questions: SATs English

Curriculum subtopic:   Exam-Style Questions: Spellings

Difficulty level:  

Worksheet Overview

QUESTION 1 of 10

Welcome to this SPAG practice activity!

In this activity, we will practice how to use the active and passive voice correctly.

Questions about the active and passive voice will be found in SATs SPAG Paper 2.

What are the active and passive voice?

When the subject in a sentence is performing the action, we say it is written in the active voice.

When the subject of a sentence has something done to it by something or someone, we say it is written in the passive voice.

Example 1:

The king was eating a peanut butter sandwich.

This is an active sentence as the subject (the king) is tucking into his peanut butter sandwich.

sandwich

Example 2:

The peanut butter sandwich was being eaten by the king.

This is a passive sentence as the subject (the peanut butter sandwich) is 'passively' having something done to it...it's being eaten!

It is important that you can use the active and passive voice correctly as it provides you with a way of varying your sentence structure and making your writing more interesting!

Ready to put this into practice?  Let's go...

The old man was rushed to the hospital by ambulance.

Is this sentence active or passive voice?

Read the sentence below, can you work out if it is passive or active?

I shall be going to stay in a wooden cabin by the mountain.

Passive voice

Active voice

Clare thinks this is a passive sentence... is she right?

My friend, Bilal, can play three sports brilliantly.

True

False

Read each of the sentences carefully and label them as either active or passive voice.

Column A

Column B

That seat is occupied.
Passive
The museum in London, has been visited over 10,000...
Passive
The girl sprinted at full speed down the driveway!
Active
The lion hunted its prey through the jungle.
Active

Read each of the sentences carefully and label either active or passive voice.

Column A

Column B

The dog was chased by the bold cat!
Passive
I've been promised a delicious cake for my birthda...
Active
Sarah was eating a pizza.
Passive
The incredible picture was painted by Amelia.
Passive

Can you rearrange the words to create a sentence written in the passive voice?

was     the     Lisa     broken     computer     by

Column A

Column B

Passive
Active
Passive
Passive

Can you rearrange the words to create a sentence written in the active voice?

stage     Lucy     on     dancing     was     the

Column A

Column B

Passive
Active
Passive
Passive

The sentence below has been written in the active voice.

Sam and Sarah have had a go at re-writing it in the passive voice?  Who is correct?

I swim every day at the local pool.

Swimming is something I do every day at the local pool.

Sarah swims every day at the local pool

The sentence below has been written in the passive voice.

Can you rewrite it in the active voice?  

Don't forget to punctuate your sentence correctly!

The tyre was changed by Tom.  

Can you choose the sentence below that uses the active voice?

Does she read books?

Are books read by her?

Are the plants watered by Sally everyday?

• Question 1

The old man was rushed to the hospital by ambulance.

Is this sentence active or passive voice?

CORRECT ANSWER
Passive
Passive voice
EDDIE SAYS
How did you do? The sentence is written in the passive voice as the subject (the old man) is having something done to him by the ambulance. Hopefully, it's the paramedics helping the old man and not just the ambulance!
  • Question 2

Read the sentence below, can you work out if it is passive or active?

I shall be going to stay in a wooden cabin by the mountain.

CORRECT ANSWER
Active voice
EDDIE SAYS
How are you getting on? The sentence is written in the active voice as the subject (I) is actively going to go and do something by staying in the cabin. Can you hear how they sound like they are taking action or control in this sentence?
  • Question 3

Clare thinks this is a passive sentence... is she right?

My friend, Bilal, can play three sports brilliantly.

CORRECT ANSWER
False
EDDIE SAYS
Is this becoming less daunting? Clare did not get this right. This sentence is an active sentence. The sentence is written in the active voice as the subject (Bilal) is actively able to play three sports well. Again, Bilal in this sentence is taking the lead or control! Keep your eye on the ball...let's try another!
  • Question 4

Read each of the sentences carefully and label them as either active or passive voice.

CORRECT ANSWER

Column A

Column B

That seat is occupied.
Passive
The museum in London, has been vi...
Passive
The girl sprinted at full speed d...
Active
The lion hunted its prey through ...
Active
EDDIE SAYS
You're making great progress! There was a lot to think about there! Remember that a sentence is written in the active voice when the subject of the sentence is performing the action. A sentence is written in the passive voice when the subject of the sentence has something done to it by something or someone.
  • Question 5

Read each of the sentences carefully and label either active or passive voice.

CORRECT ANSWER

Column A

Column B

The dog was chased by the bold ca...
Passive
I've been promised a delicious ca...
Passive
Active
The incredible picture was painte...
Passive
EDDIE SAYS
Phew, that was a challenge! A top tip for this activity is to think about the subject of each sentence first, and then decide whether you think they are active in the sentence or passive. Remember that a sentence is written in active voice when the subject of the sentence is performing the action. A sentence is written in the passive voice when the subject of the sentence has something done to it by something or someone.
  • Question 6

Can you rearrange the words to create a sentence written in the passive voice?

was     the     Lisa     broken     computer     by

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
Don't be afraid to give it a go, especially when it is a bit of an unusual question like this one! Did you remember to use a capital letter for Lisa's name? Written in the passive voice, the sentence is: The computer was broken by Lisa. The subject of the sentence is the computer, and it had something done to it (being broken!) by Lisa. Are we getting there?
  • Question 7

Can you rearrange the words to create a sentence written in the active voice?

stage     Lucy     on     dancing     was     the

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
Keep trying until you get it right! It can take a few attempts to get the words in the correct order. This sentence has to be an active sentence as Lucy is choosing to dance on the stage. Therefore, our subject is taking the lead in this sentence. Written in the active voice, the sentence is: Lucy was dancing on the stage. Did you remember to use a capital letter for Lucy as this is a proper noun? If you didn't you would get this answer marked as wrong!
  • Question 8

The sentence below has been written in the active voice.

Sam and Sarah have had a go at re-writing it in the passive voice?  Who is correct?

I swim every day at the local pool.

CORRECT ANSWER
Swimming is something I do every day at the local pool.
EDDIE SAYS
Did you agree with Sam or Sarah? Hopefully Sam! Sarah's sentence remained in the active voice. She simply changed the personal pronoun at the start of the sentence. Sam's sentence is written in the passive voice. We know this because the subject (I) changes from an active 'I swim' to the passive 'Swimming is something that I do'. Can you hear the difference?
  • Question 9

The sentence below has been written in the passive voice.

Can you rewrite it in the active voice?  

Don't forget to punctuate your sentence correctly!

The tyre was changed by Tom.  

CORRECT ANSWER
Tom changed the tyre.
EDDIE SAYS
Last question, did you finish on a good one? Remember, punctuation is really important in English, so if you didn't put a capital letter for Tom or a full stop at the end of the sentence you will not have been marked as correct. Remember Tom is the subject of our sentence so we need to make him active in the sentence. In this case, he is very active, as he is changing a tyre! Wheely good if you got this one right... get it!?
  • Question 10

Can you choose the sentence below that uses the active voice?

CORRECT ANSWER
Does she read books?
EDDIE SAYS
Nice job if you chose option 1, 'does she read books?' Options 2 and 3 are written in the passive voice and only option 1 is written in the active voice.
Try it ---- OR ----

Sign up for a £1 trial so you can track and measure your child's progress on this activity.

What is EdPlace?

We're your National Curriculum aligned online education content provider helping each child succeed in English, maths and science from year 1 to GCSE. With an EdPlace account you’ll be able to track and measure progress, helping each child achieve their best. We build confidence and attainment by personalising each child’s learning at a level that suits them.

Get started
laptop

Start your £1 trial today.
Subscribe from £10/month.