Welcome to this activity, which will help you learn the key skill of text marking.
A key skill in English is the ability to text mark.
Being able to text mark will be of great help to you when you are completing the SATS reading paper.
This activity will ask you to text mark a variety of different texts.
What is text marking?
- Text marking ensures you are properly focusing on each of the 3 texts in the reading test paper.
- It should involve highlighting, circling or underlining keywords or phrases in the text.
- You may also highlight similes and interesting language.
- Text marking helps you to find the key features of a text and think about how it is set out.
- Text marking should be done after you have read the text through at least twice.
- When you are text marking, it can be helpful to highlight key dates, times and names of characters.
- Another useful tip when text marking can be to write a quick heading next to each paragraph of the text to remind you what it is about, for example: 'she won the competition'.
- Use only one colour when text marking so you don't get confused.
Over to you...time to have a go at some practice questions to help you text mark effectively in the SATS Reading paper.