The smart way to improve grades

Comprehensive & curriculum aligned

Affordable pricing from £10/month

Using Text Marking 1

In this worksheet, students will practice how to accurately text mark to improve understanding of a new text in preparation for the SATS reading paper.

'Using Text Marking 1' worksheet

Key stage:  KS 2

Curriculum topic:   Exam-Style Questions: SATs English

Curriculum subtopic:   Exam-Style Questions: Text Marking

Difficulty level:  

Worksheet Overview

QUESTION 1 of 10

Welcome to this activity, which will help you learn the key skill of text marking.

A key skill in English is the ability to text mark.

Being able to text mark will be of great help to you when you are completing the SATS reading paper.

This activity will ask you to text mark a variety of different texts.

What is text marking?

• Text marking ensures you are properly focusing on each of the 3 texts in the reading test paper.
  • It should involve highlighting, circling or underlining keywords or phrases in the text. 
  • You may also highlight similes and interesting language.
  • Text marking helps you to find the key features of a text and think about how it is set out.
  • Text marking should be done after you have read the text through at least twice.
  • When you are text marking, it can be helpful to highlight key dates, times and names of characters.
  • Another useful tip when text marking can be to write a quick heading next to each paragraph of the text to remind you what it is about, for example: 'she won the competition'.
  • Use only one colour when text marking so you don't get confused.

Over to you...time to have a go at some practice questions to help you text mark effectively in the SATS Reading paper.

girl reading a book

Can you highlight the adjective in the text?

The racing car driver came into the weekend of the 12th June, 2008 as the only driver to have won more than once in Canada - and his run continued as he picked up an unbelievable fifth victory.

Underline the adverb in the text...

Before 12th June, there were only three circuits where the driver had won on four separate occasions. So, this sets him apart from the rest of the field - no other current driver has won five times on a single circuit. Eagerly, fans wait to see what he will achieve next.

Underline the time connective in this passage.

Dear Diary, This must be one of the worst days of my life. Firstly, as I opened my eyes this morning, I was extremely surprised. Instead of being aboard the Jolly Roger, I woke up to the sounds of the gentle, calming sea lapping on the shore.

Highlight the title of this passage.

A diary extract from my time at Sea. Dear Diary, This must be one of the worst days of my life. Firstly, as I opened my eyes this morning, I was extremely surprised. Instead of being aboard the Peggy Sue, I woke up to the sounds of the gentle, calming sea lapping on the shore.

Highlight the two words that describe the alarming noise the author could hear.

I know I can hear the sea when I\'m in the boat; however, what really alarmed me was the howling noise in the background.

Can you highlight the 3-word phrase that describes what the author looked at?

Fortunately Diary, the one thing that made me feel better was the sound of my beloved, loyal Harvey. Her bark turned out to be music to my ears! After hugging Harvey, I stood up and looked at my new, unfamiliar surroundings.

Can you highlight the word to show how the author reacted when he realised he was on his own?

I looked out to sea, only to find to my disappointment that there was no Jolly Roger to be seen. I screamed as loudly as I could, over and over, hoping desperately that my shipmates would call back.

Can you highlight the rhetorical question asked by the author?

I cried out until I was weak and I just sobbed. Do they even know that I\'m missing?

Can you highlight the two words that show what the old man ate?

Living on an unknown, desert island was a frail, elderly man. His hair was almost gone, just wisps of grey left. Furthermore, he had a long beard, which snaked down to his waist. Upon his tiny, underfed body he wore breeches (which were old and tattered) and he always carried a knife in his belt. He was so incredibly thin, however, he managed to eat well every day by climbing large, tall trees to collect coconuts and fruit.

Can you highlight the direct speech said by the old man?

Angrily, the old man would often shout, \"Dameda! Dameda!\" however he was gentle and kind really. Over time, he learnt English and was able to speak it quite fluently.
  • Question 1

Can you highlight the adjective in the text?

CORRECT ANSWER
The racing car driver came into the weekend of the 12th June, 2008 as the only driver to have won more than once in Canada - and his run continued as he picked up an unbelievable fifth victory.
EDDIE SAYS
How did you find this first question? Hopefully, you found the adjective within the text. The adjective is 'unbelievable'. Think of an adjective as a describing word. Try to text mark vocabulary that seems different and unusual; it can really help you to find the key detail in the text and improve your understanding.
  • Question 2

Underline the adverb in the text...

CORRECT ANSWER
Before 12th June, there were only three circuits where the driver had won on four separate occasions. So, this sets him apart from the rest of the field - no other current driver has won five times on a single circuit. Eagerly, fans wait to see what he will achieve next.

EDDIE SAYS
How was this second question? Did you find the adverb within the text? An adverb describes a verb and adds depth to writing. Text marking adverbs within the SATs reading paper will help you to understand the writing and the meaning of the verbs used. You've made a good start, keep going now!
  • Question 3

Underline the time connective in this passage.

CORRECT ANSWER
Dear Diary,

This must be one of the worst days of my life. Firstly, as I opened my eyes this morning, I was extremely surprised. Instead of being aboard the Jolly Roger, I woke up to the sounds of the gentle, calming sea lapping on the shore.
EDDIE SAYS
Did you manage to spot the time connective in the text? The time connective is 'firstly'. Time connectives are words that help us to join sentences or phrases together to help us understand when something is happening. Remember text marking is a great way to focus on understanding the text you are reading, which then means you will be able to show how well you have understood it when it is time to answer questions.
  • Question 4

Highlight the title of this passage.

CORRECT ANSWER
A diary extract from my time at Sea.

Dear Diary,

This must be one of the worst days of my life. Firstly, as I opened my eyes this morning, I was extremely surprised. Instead of being aboard the Peggy Sue, I woke up to the sounds of the gentle, calming sea lapping on the shore.
EDDIE SAYS
The title of this report is 'A diary extract from my time at sea'. This type of text marking is designed to make you think about the layout of the piece of writing. This is a diary extract and a fictional (not true) piece of writing.
  • Question 5

Highlight the two words that describe the alarming noise the author could hear.

CORRECT ANSWER
I know I can hear the sea when I'm in the boat; however, what really alarmed me was the howling noise in the background.
EDDIE SAYS
Did you spot that the two words, 'howling noise' that describe the strange noise the author could hear? Text marking is a super way to pay close attention to the detail in the text you are reading. You are halfway through this activity- keep it up!
  • Question 6

Can you highlight the 3-word phrase that describes what the author looked at?

CORRECT ANSWER
Fortunately Diary, the one thing that made me feel better was the sound of my beloved, loyal Harvey. Her bark turned out to be music to my ears! After hugging Harvey, I stood up and looked at my new, unfamiliar surroundings.
EDDIE SAYS
This is good, keep it up! Did you manage to highlight the whole phrase? When you are answering any SATs questions, make sure you read the question very carefully and do exactly as it asks! Here it wanted 3 words to be highlighted, so make sure you highlight exactly 3!
  • Question 7

Can you highlight the word to show how the author reacted when he realised he was on his own?

CORRECT ANSWER
I looked out to sea, only to find to my disappointment that there was no Jolly Roger to be seen. I screamed as loudly as I could, over and over, hoping desperately that my shipmates would call back.
EDDIE SAYS
Brilliant job if you chose 'screamed'. Text marking can be done with fiction texts; it can help us to look in more detail at characters and the events taking place. In this question, text marking helps us to understand how the character feels.
  • Question 8

Can you highlight the rhetorical question asked by the author?

CORRECT ANSWER
I cried out until I was weak and I just sobbed. Do they even know that I'm missing?
EDDIE SAYS
Did you get the hang of this one? The rhetorical question asked by the author is 'do they even know that I'm missing?' A rhetorical question is one asked for a dramatic effect that does not get an answer. Text marking encourages you to really pick out the key details in a text and dismiss the words that aren't important! Nice effort- keep going now!
  • Question 9

Can you highlight the two words that show what the old man ate?

CORRECT ANSWER
Living on an unknown, desert island was a frail, elderly man. His hair was almost gone, just wisps of grey left. Furthermore, he had a long beard, which snaked down to his waist. Upon his tiny, underfed body he wore breeches (which were old and tattered) and he always carried a knife in his belt. He was so incredibly thin, however, he managed to eat well every day by climbing large, tall trees to collect coconuts and fruit.
EDDIE SAYS
Did you find the words 'coconuts' and 'fruit' that describe what the old man ate? Did you read the question carefully and highlight both words? Well done...only one more question to go!
  • Question 10

Can you highlight the direct speech said by the old man?

CORRECT ANSWER
Angrily, the old man would often shout, "Dameda! Dameda!" however he was gentle and kind really. Over time, he learnt English and was able to speak it quite fluently.
EDDIE SAYS
Remember to keep trying until you get it right! The old man said, "Dameda! Dameda!" Well done that's another activity completed! We hope you've improved your ability to text mark a variety of texts. Using this skill will help you to better understand the texts given in the SATs Reading paper.
Try it ---- OR ----

Sign up for a £1 trial so you can track and measure your child's progress on this activity.

What is EdPlace?

We're your National Curriculum aligned online education content provider helping each child succeed in English, maths and science from year 1 to GCSE. With an EdPlace account you’ll be able to track and measure progress, helping each child achieve their best. We build confidence and attainment by personalising each child’s learning at a level that suits them.

Get started
laptop

Start your £1 trial today.
Subscribe from £10/month.