The smart way to improve grades

Comprehensive & curriculum aligned

Affordable pricing from £10/month

Understanding Inference Questions 2

In this worksheet, students will practice how to answer inference style questions in preparation for the SATs Reading test. Some of the answers will need to be manually marked because these types of questions require a pupil to be able to write their answer in their own words using evidence from the text.

'Understanding Inference Questions 2' worksheet

Key stage:  KS 2

Curriculum topic:   Exam-Style Questions: SATs English

Curriculum subtopic:   Exam-Style Questions: Inference Questions

Difficulty level:  

Worksheet Overview

QUESTION 1 of 10

Fantastic effort! You have decided to practice how to answer inference style questions in preparation for the SATs Reading test.

What is an inference question?

No doubt about it, inference can be quite a tricky area of reading!

Inference questions often begin with words such as: 'how do you know that' 'how can you tell that' 'what evidence is there' 'explain what this description suggests'.

When you answer an inference question, you will need to look for clues to find the answer and then you will need to explain your answer by using the clues and including the word 'because'.

You must think of yourself as a detective, proving what you know!

detective

The key question you must always ask yourself when you answer an inference question is...how do you know?

When you are finding your evidence, make sure you take it straight from the text, don't make it up or guess!

Look out for how many marks are available for the question. If it is 2 marks, give 2 pieces of evidence, if it 3 marks, give 3 pieces of evidence...I'm sure you get the idea!

Due to the nature of inference, for some of these questions, you will need to write your answer in your own words, just as you will in the SATs reading test.

Please, ask your adult helper to mark these questions for you.

Remember to use 'because' to explain your answer!

Over to you now to have a go at some practice questions...good luck!

Look at this picture, what time of year is it and how do you know? 

forrest

Spring

Summer

Autumn

Winter

children arguing over stuffed animal

How do you know that the girls are fighting over the bear?

They are tugging the bear with all of their strength and they do not have happy facial expressions.

They girls seem joyful and as though they are having a great time.

The girls look confused and unsure of what is happening.

The girls are playing a game.

Minerva was born without a mother. Her father was the mighty Jupiter, king of all the gods. Jupiter loved all his children, but if he had to pick a favourite, it would probably have been Minerva, the goddess of wisdom. Minerva was a powerful force, and one of the deities who made up the Dei Consentes, the Roman Council of 12 gods. In ancient times, each town had a special deity, a god that looked after them. Neptune, Lord of the Sea, was a very powerful god. To be frank, he loved attention. He loved having temples built in order to worship him. In addition, he loved the gifts people brought to him. Neptune was always on the lookout for towns that had not yet been claimed by a god. He wanted as many towns as possible to call his own. Although, towns could only have one god to watch over them. One day, Minerva, goddess of wisdom, and Neptune, lord of the sea both claimed a coastal village. Normally, the people in the village would have been thrilled to be selected by a god to watch over them. But two gods at once? A town could only have one guardian, and they did not want to choose. They did not want to anger either god.

verona

Do you think this text is set in the past or nowadays? Why? (2 marks)

Minerva was born without a mother. Her father was the mighty Jupiter, king of all the gods. Jupiter loved all his children, but if he had to pick a favourite, it would probably have been Minerva, the goddess of wisdom. Minerva was a powerful force, and one of the deities who made up the Dei Consentes, the Roman Council of 12 gods. In ancient times, each town had a special deity, a god that looked after them. Neptune, Lord of the Sea, was a very powerful god. To be frank, he loved attention. He loved having temples built in order to worship him. In addition, he loved the gifts people brought to him. Neptune was always on the lookout for towns that had not yet been claimed by a god. He wanted as many towns as possible to call his own. Although, towns could only have one god to watch over them. One day, Minerva, goddess of wisdom, and Neptune, lord of the sea both claimed a coastal village. Normally, the people in the village would have been thrilled to be selected by a god to watch over them. But two gods at once? A town could only have one guardian, and they did not want to choose. They did not want to anger either god.

verona

What evidence is there that Neptune liked to receive attention? (2 marks)

Read this section from an evacuee's letter, written in the context of World War 2.

Dear Mom,

I'm doing fine. After I said goodbye to you, I had an extremely long journey and fell asleep on the train. The other children, who were all about my age, were very quiet indeed. There was nobody to speak to, however, I didn't let it get me down. I suppose we were all just tired and confused. During the journey, I felt very lonely and guilty knowing that I had left you behind. We will be back together soon ... I hope!

We were all huddled up together once we departed from the train. Some of the children were so frightened that I could feel them shaking. I, being slightly older, tried not to show how worried I was. A well-dressed (and very strict) lady came to meet us. She had a paper in her hand - I think it was a checklist for where we were going. We followed her, good as gold mom, to our new homes. She seemed like a very nice, god-fearing woman, so don't worry.

I started to panic, everyone else had got a new home, except me. Luckily, I wasn't forgotten about, I was taken to an older gentleman's house. He was like a towering giant in the doorway. In addition, he had a deep, gruff voice that bellowed and echoed around the room. Nervous, scared and anxious, I followed him in.

How do you think the author of the letter is feeling?

Explain your answer fully. (2 marks)

Read this section from an evacuee's letter, written in the context of World War 2.

Dear Mom,

I'm doing fine. After I said goodbye to you, I had an extremely long journey and fell asleep on the train. The other children, who were all about my age, were very quiet indeed. There was nobody to speak to, however, I didn't let it get me down. I suppose we were all just tired and confused. During the journey, I felt very lonely and guilty knowing that I had left you behind. We will be back together soon ... I hope!

We were all huddled up together once we departed from the train. Some of the children were so frightened that I could feel them shaking. I, being slightly older, tried not to show how worried I was. A well-dressed (and very strict) lady came to meet us. She had a paper in her hand - I think it was a checklist for where we were going. We followed her, good as gold mom, to our new homes. She seemed like a very nice, god-fearing woman, so don't worry.

I started to panic, everyone else had got a new home, except me. Luckily, I wasn't forgotten about, I was taken to an older gentleman's house. He was like a towering giant in the doorway. In addition, he had a deep, gruff voice that bellowed and echoed around the room. Nervous, scared and anxious, I followed him in.

Why do you think the author is scared of the man who chooses him?

Now, read the second part of the evacuee's letter.

Don't panic! It turns out he was very nice. He took my coat and made me a massive and delicious meal. It was so good, in fact, I couldn't eat it all. He gave me some strange looks when I was slurping my cup of tea. I think he likes good manners mom, just like you! 

Anyway, he went out and I had a look around his home. In the one room is a locked piano, I can't wait to try that! There's a picture of a woman and a boy on top. Unfortunately, I have no idea who they are - not yet anyway! I'll let you know in my next letter. Outside of the window, when I looked out, I saw a delightful, little church. Just what you wanted for me mom!

I'd better go! Life here seems quiet but fine. Please write soon!

Lots of love

William xxx

How do you know that the author is no longer hungry? (1 mark)

Don't panic! It turns out he was very nice. He took my coat and made me a massive and delicious meal. It was so good, in fact, I couldn't eat it all. He gave me some strange looks when I was slurping my cup of tea. I think he likes good manners mom, just like you! 

Anyway, he went out and I had a look around his home. In the one room is a locked piano, I can't wait to try that! There's a picture of a woman and a boy on top. Unfortunately, I have no idea who they are - not yet anyway! I'll let you know in my next letter. Outside of the window, when I looked out, I saw a delightful, little church. Just what you wanted for me mom!

Lots of love

William xxx

Who do you think the woman and boy are in picture on top of the piano? (1 mark)

Now choose the reason why you selected 'Autumn'.

forrest

Because there are lots of dry leaves fallen onto the ground.

The Sun is shining through the trees.

There is grass peeping through the letters.

There are lots of leaves on the trees.

What is happening here? 

The girls are playing nicely.

The girls are great friends.

The girls are fighting over the bear.

The girls are playing a game.

• Question 1

Look at this picture, what time of year is it and how do you know? 

forrest

CORRECT ANSWER
Autumn
EDDIE SAYS
How did you do on this first question? Hopefully, you chose 'Autumn'...move onto the next question now to choose the reasons why you used your inference skills to pick this answer.
  • Question 2

How do you know that the girls are fighting over the bear?

CORRECT ANSWER
They are tugging the bear with all of their strength and they do not have happy facial expressions.
EDDIE SAYS
Did you spot that the reason why we know that the girls are fighting over the bear is that we can infer that they are tugging the bear with all of their strength and they do not have happy facial expressions? You are making good progress, keep it up!
  • Question 3

verona

Do you think this text is set in the past or nowadays? Why? (2 marks)

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
There are 2 marks here for the student to gain. The first mark is for stating that the text is set in the past. The second mark will be giving evidence as to why we know it is set in the past. The pupil may refer to the inclusion of ancient gods, the phrase 'in ancient times', as found in the text and the fact the village people believed in and worshipped the gods.
  • Question 4

verona

What evidence is there that Neptune liked to receive attention? (2 marks)

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
There are 2 marks here for the student to gain. The 2 reasons we know that Neptune loved to get attention are: 1. He loved having temples built to worship him. 2. He loved the gifts people bought to him.
  • Question 5

Dear Mom,

How do you think the author of the letter is feeling?

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
When answering this question, it is key that the student draws evidence from the letter. Reference can be made to his tiredness, he fell asleep on the train, feeling lonely and guilty as he has left without his mum, trying to hide his own fear so as not to worry the younger children, then panicking as he didn't think anyone would take him home and finally, feeling frightened of the man who did choose him. The student will only need to use 2 of these examples to gain the 2 marks.
  • Question 6

Dear Mom,

Why do you think the author is scared of the man who chooses him?

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
The pupil will need to use the evidence from the text that the author was scared because he thought the man was like a towering giant and had a deep, gruff voice. The pupil can receive a mark for each of these statements.
  • Question 7

Lots of love

William xxx

How do you know that the author is no longer hungry? (1 mark)

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
To achieve the mark for this question, the pupil will need to draw from the text that the author says he was given 'a massive and delicious meal' and that he wasn't able to eat it all, clearly it filled him up!
  • Question 8

Lots of love

William xxx

Who do you think the woman and boy are in picture on top of the piano? (1 mark)

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
To achieve the mark for this question, the pupil will need to make a sensible prediction about who the boy and woman could be, for example, his wife and child or other family members/ someone special to the man.
  • Question 9

Now choose the reason why you selected 'Autumn'.

forrest

CORRECT ANSWER
Because there are lots of dry leaves fallen onto the ground.
EDDIE SAYS
Did you spot that the reason why we can infer it is Autumn is that there are lots of dry leaves on the ground? In your SATs Reading test, when answering an inference question, you will be expected to give the answer Autumn and the reason why. Remember to use the word, 'because' to explain your answer. This is a good start, keep it up!
  • Question 10

What is happening here? 

CORRECT ANSWER
The girls are fighting over the bear.
EDDIE SAYS
Nice job if you chose 'the girls are fighting over the bear'. Now, remember this is an inference activity so carry onto the next question to choose the reason why that is the correct answer!
Try it ---- OR ----

Sign up for a £1 trial so you can track and measure your child's progress on this activity.

What is EdPlace?

We're your National Curriculum aligned online education content provider helping each child succeed in English, maths and science from year 1 to GCSE. With an EdPlace account you’ll be able to track and measure progress, helping each child achieve their best. We build confidence and attainment by personalising each child’s learning at a level that suits them.

Get started
laptop

Start your £1 trial today.
Subscribe from £10/month.