The smart way to improve grades

Comprehensive & curriculum aligned

Affordable pricing from £10/month

Understanding Inference Questions 1

In this worksheet, students will practice how to answer inference style questions in preparation for the SATs Reading test. Some of the answers will need to be manually marked because these types of questions require a pupil to be able to write their answer in their own words using evidence from the text.

'Understanding Inference Questions 1' worksheet

Key stage:  KS 2

Curriculum topic:   Exam-Style Questions: SATs English

Curriculum subtopic:   Exam-Style Questions: Inference Questions

Difficulty level:  

Worksheet Overview

QUESTION 1 of 10

Well done for deciding to answer some inference questions in preparation for the SATs Reading test!

What is an inference question?

No doubt about it, inference can be quite a tricky area of reading!

Inference questions often begin with words such as: 'how do you know that' 'how can you tell that' 'what evidence is there' 'explain what this description suggests'.

When you answer an inference question, you will need to look for clues to find the answer and then you will need to explain your answer by using the clues and including the word 'because'.

You must think of yourself as a detective, proving what you know!

detective

The key question you must always ask yourself when you answer an inference question is...how do you know?

When you are finding your evidence, make sure you take it straight from the text, don't make it up or guess!

Look out for how many marks are available for the question. If it is 2 marks, give 2 pieces of evidence, if it 3 marks, give 3 pieces of evidence...I'm sure you get the idea!

Due to the nature of inference, for some of these questions, you will need to write your answer in your own words, just as you will in the SATs reading test.

Please, ask your adult helper to mark these questions for you.

Remember to use 'because' to explain your answer!

Over to you now to have a go at some practice questions...good luck!

Look at this picture, what is this girl doing?

girl superhero

Cartwheeling

Hopping

Jumping

Flying

Now choose the reason why you selected 'Flying'.

girl superhero

Because she is smiling.

Because she is wearing a cape and has her arms outstretched as she flies forward.

Because she is wearing red.

Because she seems happy.

children climbing a ladder

Where are these children?

The children are playing a game of tag.

The children are studying in the classroom.

The children are reading in the library.

The children are climbing a ladder in a playground.

How do you know the children are in a playground?

Because they seem to be happy and joyful.

Because they are wearing sportswear.

Because it is a sunny day and the weather is mild.

Because they are climbing some apparatus that we would find in a playground and are clearly enjoying doing it!

girl with magnifying glass

What is happening here?

It is stormy and starting to rain.

The girl is using a magnifying glass to examine the tree bark.

The tree is enormous and ancient.

The girl is trying to keep her tidy plaits in.

Why do you think the girl is examining the tree in this way?

Because she uses it instead of wearing glasses.

Because she wants to find out how old it is.

To work out the height of the tree.

Because she would like to inspect the tree to find out how healthy it is and how sturdy it is.

Read this extract about a great invention.

Finally, I have completed my amazing, fast-flying machine. I am bursting with pride that I have managed to build a machine that can land and take off in calm water, moreover, it even has the great endurance to travel impressive, long distances. The steering wheel, which is made from firm leather, smoothly guides my invention through the sky. In addition, the fabric harness keeps me firmly secured in the pilot's chair.  

hovercraft

How does the inventor of this machine feel? (1 mark)

Finally, I have completed my amazing, fast-flying machine. I am bursting with pride that I have managed to build a machine that can land and take off in calm water, moreover, it even has the great endurance to travel impressive, long distances. The steering wheel, which is made from firm leather, smoothly guides my invention through the sky. In addition, the fabric harness keeps me firmly secured in the pilot's chair.  

hovercraft

Which key features of the hovercraft do you think the author is proud of?

Read this setting description...

Ali walked inside, the rush of cold, biting air that followed him through the door made him feel chilled to the bone. With a nervous and shaky step, Ali moved further into the room seeing a set of rickety, unsafe stairs in the corner. As his eyes adjusted to the dark and gloom, he noticed the shabby, tatty leaves covering the floor like a blanket. These must have been blown in by the cracked, broken window which allowed a tiny but relieving slither of light in. Following the direction of the light, Ali noticed the tall, overbearing furniture looking down on him. Furthermore, these cast peculiar, odd shadows which almost seemed to move across the walls. Fluffy, vast cobwebs hung from the ceiling, tickling Ali's skin as he passed them. 

How do you think Ali feels? (2 marks)

Ali walked inside, the rush of cold, biting air that followed him through the door made him feel chilled to the bone. With a nervous and shaky step, Ali moved further into the room seeing a set of rickety, unsafe stairs in the corner. As his eyes adjusted to the dark and gloom, he noticed the shabby, tatty leaves covering the floor like a blanket. These must have been blown in by the cracked, broken window which allowed a tiny but relieving slither of light in. Following the direction of the light, Ali noticed the tall, overbearing furniture looking down on him. Furthermore, these cast peculiar, odd shadows which almost seemed to move across the walls. Fluffy, vast cobwebs hung from the ceiling, tickling Ali's skin as he passed them. 

Is Ali in a well-cared-for property?

• Question 1

Look at this picture, what is this girl doing?

girl superhero

CORRECT ANSWER
Flying
EDDIE SAYS
How did you do on this first question? Hopefully, you chose 'Flying'...move onto the next question now to choose the reasons why you used your inference skills to pick this answer.
  • Question 2

Now choose the reason why you selected 'Flying'.

girl superhero

CORRECT ANSWER
Because she is wearing a cape and has her arms outstretched as she flies forward.
EDDIE SAYS
Did you spot that the reason why we can infer she is flying is that she is wearing a cape, like a superheroine and has her arms outstretched as she flies forward? In your SATs Reading test, when answering an inference question, you will be expected to give the answer 'Flying' and the reason why. You will have to answer in your own words so remember to use the word, 'because' to explain your answer. This is a good start, keep it up!
  • Question 3

Where are these children?

CORRECT ANSWER
The children are climbing a ladder in a playground.
EDDIE SAYS
Great work if you chose 'the children are climbing a ladder in a playground.' Now, remember this is an inference activity so carry onto the next question to choose the reason why that is the correct answer! Keep you detective's hat on!
  • Question 4

How do you know the children are in a playground?

CORRECT ANSWER
Because they are climbing some apparatus that we would find in a playground and are clearly enjoying doing it!
EDDIE SAYS
Did you spot that the reason we know the children are in a playground is that they are climbing some apparatus that we would find in a playground and are clearly enjoying doing it! You are making a great effort, keep it up!
  • Question 5

What is happening here?

CORRECT ANSWER
The girl is using a magnifying glass to examine the tree bark.
EDDIE SAYS
Did you spot that the girl is using a magnifying glass to carefully examine the bark of the tree? Keep your detective hat on ready for the next question...
  • Question 6

Why do you think the girl is examining the tree in this way?

CORRECT ANSWER
Because she would like to inspect the tree to find out how healthy it is and how sturdy it is.
EDDIE SAYS
How are you doing? Did you work out that it is most likely that she is examining the tree to inspect it and find out how healthy and how sturdy it is? Keep up this super effort, you are halfway through now!
  • Question 7

hovercraft

How does the inventor of this machine feel? (1 mark)

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
When answering this question, it is key that the student draws evidence from the text. Reference should be made to the fact that the author states he is bursting with pride because he is so pleased with his invention and what it can do.
  • Question 8

hovercraft

Which key features of the hovercraft do you think the author is proud of?

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
The pupil will need to use the evidence from the text and make reference to both key features that make the inventor proud. 1. It can land and take off in water. 2. It can travel long, impressive distances.
  • Question 9

How do you think Ali feels? (2 marks)

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
To achieve 2 marks for this question, the pupil will need to provide 2 ideas, with evidence from the text about how Ali feels. The pupil could refer to how Ali felt chilled to the bone and therefore must have felt cold from the temperature/air. Reference could also be made to Ali's 'nervous and shaky' step showing his fear. The pupil could also refer to the cobwebs that tickled Ali's skin and how these could make him feel.
  • Question 10

Is Ali in a well-cared-for property?

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
To achieve 2 marks for this question, the pupil will need to give 2 separate ideas from the text that demonstrate that Ali is in a neglected property. For example, the rickety, unsafe stairs, the shabby, tatty leaves all over the floor, the cracked, broken window and the fluffy, vast cobwebs. That's another activity ticked off- high five to the pupil who has completed the task!
Try it ---- OR ----

Sign up for a £1 trial so you can track and measure your child's progress on this activity.

What is EdPlace?

We're your National Curriculum aligned online education content provider helping each child succeed in English, maths and science from year 1 to GCSE. With an EdPlace account you’ll be able to track and measure progress, helping each child achieve their best. We build confidence and attainment by personalising each child’s learning at a level that suits them.

Get started
laptop

Start your £1 trial today.
Subscribe from £10/month.