The smart way to improve grades

Comprehensive & curriculum aligned

Affordable pricing from £10/month

Revise Your Spelling: Commonly Misspelt Words 1

In this worksheet, students revise and practise spelling some of the most commonly misspelt words in the English language to help them with accuracy in their writing.

Key stage:  KS 3

Curriculum topic:  Writing

Curriculum subtopic:  Develop Awareness of Spelling Patterns and Rules

Difficulty level:  

Start your £1 trial today
down

Here's a preview of the tutorial worksheet your child will complete. Sign up to EdPlace and access 1000s of worksheets that are marked automatically. With an account you can track progress and measure results.

QUESTION 1 of 10

Some words are hard to spell, even for most adults.

For example, which of the following is correct?

accomodation

acommodation

accommodation

In fact, the third version is the correct one, but you have probably seen all three spellings in the windows of hotels, bed and breakfasts or houses to let.

In this worksheet you can practise spelling some of the words that are most often misspelt in the English language.

Match these words with their definitions. Look very carefully at them, as you will need to spell them in the next four questions.

Column A

Column B

definite
clear, not vague
necessary
a chart showing the days and months in a year
calendar
required, essential
beginning
the start of something

Choose one of the words from question 1 to complete the following sentence. Write the missing word in the answer box.

Joe says the match might take place tomorrow, but it isn't __________.

Choose one of the words from question 1 to complete the following sentence. Write the missing word in the answer box.

I can't remember when granny is coming to stay so I'll check on the __________.

I've forgotten the story so far so I'm going to start the book again from the __________.

Is it __________ to take a packed lunch with us on the trip or will we be able to buy something to eat?

Now match these four words with their definitions. Don't forget to pay attention to the spellings!

Column A

Column B

separate
straight away, without delay
government
to divide or part something
cemetery
a burial ground
immediately
the officials who run a country

Choose one of the words from question 6 to complete the following sentence. Write the missing word in the answer box.

We need to __________ the egg yolks from the whites to make this recipe.

Choose one of the words from question 6 to complete the following sentence. Write the missing word in the answer box.

My grandad is always moaning about the __________. He thinks they don't know how to run the country properly.

We're going to the __________ this afternoon to put some flowers on my nan's grave.

Get down from that tree __________! You'll fall and hurt yourself!

• Question 1

Match these words with their definitions. Look very carefully at them, as you will need to spell them in the next four questions.

CORRECT ANSWER

Column A

Column B

definite
clear, not vague
necessary
required, essential
calendar
a chart showing the days and mont...
beginning
the start of something
  • Question 2

Joe says the match might take place tomorrow, but it isn't __________.

CORRECT ANSWER
definite
EDDIE SAYS
It is a common mistake to spell the ending -ate.
  • Question 3

I can't remember when granny is coming to stay so I'll check on the __________.

CORRECT ANSWER
calendar
EDDIE SAYS
The word is often spelt 'calender' by mistake, so try to remember that it is -ar.
  • Question 4

I've forgotten the story so far so I'm going to start the book again from the __________.

CORRECT ANSWER
beginning
EDDIE SAYS
The hardest part for most people to remember is the double n in the middle of the word.
  • Question 5

Is it __________ to take a packed lunch with us on the trip or will we be able to buy something to eat?

CORRECT ANSWER
necessary
EDDIE SAYS
People often forget the double s in this one, and the -ary ending is tricky, too.
  • Question 6

Now match these four words with their definitions. Don't forget to pay attention to the spellings!

CORRECT ANSWER

Column A

Column B

separate
to divide or part something
government
the officials who run a country
cemetery
a burial ground
immediately
straight away, without delay
  • Question 7

We need to __________ the egg yolks from the whites to make this recipe.

CORRECT ANSWER
separate
EDDIE SAYS
The middle part of this word is the trickiest. People often think it is 'seperate'.
  • Question 8

My grandad is always moaning about the __________. He thinks they don't know how to run the country properly.

CORRECT ANSWER
government
EDDIE SAYS
People often forget the n in the middle of the word.
  • Question 9

We're going to the __________ this afternoon to put some flowers on my nan's grave.

CORRECT ANSWER
cemetery
EDDIE SAYS
It might help to remember that 'e' is the only vowel in this word.
  • Question 10

Get down from that tree __________! You'll fall and hurt yourself!

CORRECT ANSWER
immediately
EDDIE SAYS
Remember the double m!
Previous Next

Easy As 1-2-3

Have fun learning at home on our desktop website or on-the go with our app

Start your £1 trial today.

Terms apply