The smart way to improve grades

Comprehensive & curriculum aligned

Affordable pricing from £10/month

Revise Your Spelling: Commonly Misspelt Words 3

In this worksheet, students revise and practise spelling some challenging words that are frequently misspelt to help them with accuracy in their writing.

Key stage:  KS 3

Curriculum topic:  Writing

Curriculum subtopic:  Develop Awareness of Spelling Patterns and Rules

Difficulty level:  

NEW! Try our assessments with your £1 trial
down

Here's a preview of the tutorial worksheet your child will complete. Sign up to EdPlace and access 1000s of worksheets that are marked automatically. With an account you can track progress and measure results.

QUESTION 1 of 10

Quite a lot of words in English are hard to spell, even for adults.

In this worksheet you can practise spelling some of the words that are most often misspelt in English.

Match these words with their definitions. Look very carefully at them, as you will need to spell them in the next four questions.

Column A

Column B

conscientious
small and insignificant
negligible
hard working and careful
occasionally
having a high opinion of oneself
conceited
now and then, not very often

Choose one of the words from question 1 to complete the following sentence. Write the missing word in the answer box.

Jaden reckons he's the best player on the team but I think he's just being __________.

Choose one of the words from question 1 to complete the following sentence. Write the missing word in the answer box.

I __________ go to the cinema, but I can't afford to go very often.

The doctor said that there was only a __________ risk of side effects if I took the new medicine.

Sarah was always very __________, so she was upset when she realised that she'd left her homework at home.

Now match these four words with their definitions. Don't forget to pay attention to the spellings!

Column A

Column B

entrepreneur
made up of different types of things
pronunciation
the way a word is spoken aloud
extraordinary
someone who organises and runs a business
miscellaneous
very unusual or remarkable

Choose one of the words from question 6 to complete the following sentence. Write the missing word in the answer box.

It can be very difficult to get the __________ of foreign place names correct.

Choose one of the words from question 6 to complete the following sentence. Write the missing word in the answer box.

My brother has set up his own business giving people IT tuition - he's quite an __________!

That was an __________ day of test cricket! I've never seen so many wickets fall in one day.

The bric-a-brac stall featured a collection of vases, photo frames and __________ ornaments.

• Question 1

Match these words with their definitions. Look very carefully at them, as you will need to spell them in the next four questions.

CORRECT ANSWER

Column A

Column B

conscientious
hard working and careful
negligible
small and insignificant
occasionally
now and then, not very often
conceited
having a high opinion of oneself
  • Question 2

Jaden reckons he's the best player on the team but I think he's just being __________.

CORRECT ANSWER
conceited
  • Question 3

I __________ go to the cinema, but I can't afford to go very often.

CORRECT ANSWER
occasionally
  • Question 4

The doctor said that there was only a __________ risk of side effects if I took the new medicine.

CORRECT ANSWER
negligible
EDDIE SAYS
It is a common mistake to spell the ending -able instead of -ible.
  • Question 5

Sarah was always very __________, so she was upset when she realised that she'd left her homework at home.

CORRECT ANSWER
conscientious
  • Question 6

Now match these four words with their definitions. Don't forget to pay attention to the spellings!

CORRECT ANSWER

Column A

Column B

entrepreneur
someone who organises and runs a ...
pronunciation
the way a word is spoken aloud
extraordinary
very unusual or remarkable
miscellaneous
made up of different types of thi...
  • Question 7

It can be very difficult to get the __________ of foreign place names correct.

CORRECT ANSWER
pronunciation
EDDIE SAYS
This word is often confusing because the verb is 'to pronounce', but the second o is dropped for the noun.
  • Question 8

My brother has set up his own business giving people IT tuition - he's quite an __________!

CORRECT ANSWER
entrepreneur
EDDIE SAYS
People often forget the second r in this one.
  • Question 9

That was an __________ day of test cricket! I've never seen so many wickets fall in one day.

CORRECT ANSWER
extraordinary
EDDIE SAYS
It may help to think of this word as 'extra' and 'ordinary'.
  • Question 10

The bric-a-brac stall featured a collection of vases, photo frames and __________ ornaments.

CORRECT ANSWER
miscellaneous
Previous Next

Easy As 1-2-3

Have fun learning at home on our desktop website or on-the go with our app

Start your £1 trial today.

Terms apply