Loading please wait

The smart way to improve grades

Comprehensive & curriculum aligned

Try an activity or get started for free

Revise the Function of Verbs and Adverbs

In this worksheet, students will explore the function of verbs and adverbs in order to improve understanding of their reading and accuracy in their writing.

'Revise the Function of Verbs and Adverbs' worksheet

Key stage:  KS 3

Year:  Year 9 English worksheets

Curriculum topic:   Writing

Curriculum subtopic:   Use Accurate Grammar, Punctuation and Spelling

Popular topics:   Verbs worksheets, Grammar worksheets, Adverbs worksheets,

Difficulty level:  

Worksheet Overview

Verbs are a large class of words that express action or change in states of being.

Some examples are: write, eat, fly, lie, go, put, are, look and work.

Without verbs, it would be impossible to describe anything that happens. Verbs have different sub-classes and it can be challenging to get your head around all the types.

This activity will focus on the key points you need to understand which can help to improve the accuracy of your writing.

Regular Verbs

These are one of the less troublesome verb types. They follow the same rules when forming different tenses, such as adding -ed on the end to form the past tense.

For example: walk - walked, jump - jumped, shuffle - shuffled.

Woman walking a dog

Irregular Verbs

This type of verb breaks the rules outlined above and has different forms for the past tense. The forms need to be learnt as they don't follow the same pattern as each other.

For example:

Present Tense Verb

Past Tense Verb

swim

I have swum/I swam

drive

I have driven/I drove

drink

I have drunk/I drank

think

I have thought/I thought

forget

I have forgotten/I forgot

Boy drinking from a pineapple

Imperative Verbs

Verbs that express direct commands or sound bossy are called imperatives. They are most effective when placed at the start of a sentence and can be used in persuasive or instructive writing.

For example: 'Put the eggs into the bowl.' or 'Come to the zoo today!'

girl cooking

Modal Auxiliary Verbs

These are 'helping' verbs in the sense that they are used alongside main verbs to express different aspects of time and mood. The main ones to use are: will, shall, may, might, can, could, must, ought to, should and would. These can help to create an effective piece of writing giving instructions or advice.

For example: 'You must meet me at 10 pm tonight' or 'You should move on with your life'.

Notice board with advice pinned to it 

Adverbs

Adverbs are a large class of words. They modify or add further detail to a verb, adjective or other adverbs.

An adverb can be placed directly after a verb in a sentence.

For example: Doreen ran quickly but she hopped slowly.

In this sentence, the adverbs add detail to the verbs.

In some circumstances, an adverb can be placed a few words after the verb in a sentence.

For example: Michael played his flute confidently.

flute

There are also some occasions where an adverb can be placed before a verb in a sentence.

For example: Simon quickly finished his dinner.

In addition to modifying verbs, adverbs can also be placed before adjectives to add further detail.

For example: Flo gave an exceptionally impressive performance at the concert.

Adverbs also function to modify other adverbs. 

For example: He very carefully carried the baby upstairs.

In this sentence, the first of the two adverbs ('very') intensifies the second adverb that follows ('carefully').

father kissing baby

Now it's over to you.

If you need to check back to any of this information while doing the questions, simply click on the red help button on the screen.

What is EdPlace?

We're your National Curriculum aligned online education content provider helping each child succeed in English, maths and science from year 1 to GCSE. With an EdPlace account you’ll be able to track and measure progress, helping each child achieve their best. We build confidence and attainment by personalising each child’s learning at a level that suits them.

Get started
laptop

Try an activity or get started for free

• National Tutoring Awards 2023 Shortlisted / Parents
    National Tutoring Awards 2023 Shortlisted
  • Private-Tutoring-WINNER-EducationInvestor-Awards / Parents
    Winner - Private Tutoring
  • Bett Awards Finalist / Parents
    Finalist
  • Winner - Best for Home Learning / Parents
    Winner - Best for Home Learning / Parents