The smart way to improve grades

Comprehensive & curriculum aligned

Affordable pricing from £10/month

Identify and Explain Key Quotes in 'Never Let Me Go'

In this activity, students will practise identifying and commenting on key quotes in 'Never Let Me Go'.

'Identify and Explain Key Quotes in 'Never Let Me Go'' worksheet

Key stage:  KS 4

GCSE Subjects:   English Literature

GCSE Boards:   Eduqas, OCR, AQA

Curriculum topic:   Post-1914 Prose / Drama, Modern Prose or Drama, Modern Texts: Prose

Curriculum subtopic:   Never Let Me Go

Difficulty level:  

Worksheet Overview

QUESTION 1 of 10

In the exam, you will need to able to support your ideas with quotations from the text.

notepad and pen

You should try to build a bank of quotations for each character and theme and learn these so that you can use them readily in your exam response.

Top tip for the exam: Whilst it is important to use direct quotations, you will also be rewarded marks for paraphrasing or making reference to part of the text!

In this activity you will practise identifying:

- who is speaking in particular quotations

- who is being to referred to in quotations

- what quotations suggest about a character

-  what theme or idea is explored in a quotation

Who is this quotation referring to?

"...they say she gets to pick and choose, and she always chooses her own kind: people from Hailsham, or one of the other privileged estates."

Complete the quotation from Chapter One which helps to highlight the unreliability of Kathy's first person narrative.

Who tells Tommy that he didn't have to be creative at school?

"What she said was that if I didn't want to be creative, if I really didn't feel like it, that was perfectly all right."

Miss Lucy

Miss Emily

Madame

What is being referred to in the following quotation:

"She keeps coming here and taking away our best work."

Complete the following quotation, spoken by Ruth in Chapter four:

Underline the keyword in the quotation below where Ishiguro depicts imagery of physical boundaries.

\"She\'d been a Hailsham student until one day she\'d climbed over a fence just to see what it was like outside.\"

In Chapter 7, Miss Lucy explains the students' purpose at Hailsham.

Complete the quotation below to show what she said.

\"She\'d been a Hailsham student until one day she\'d climbed over a fence just to see what it was like outside.\"

In Chapter 19, just before her death, Ruth asks Kathy to do something.

Find the quotation and write it below. Remember to use quotation marks.

Match the following quotations to the character speaking.

Column A

Column B

Madame
"And I saw a little girl, her eyes tightly closed,...
Miss Emily
"I lost Ruth, then I lost Tommy, but I won't lose ...
Tommy
"I think Miss Lucy was right. Not Miss Emily."
Kathy
"But we sheltered you during those years, and we g...

What does the ending line of 'Never Let Me Go' suggest?

"I just waited a bit, then turned back to the car, to drive off to wherever it was I was supposed to be."

Kathy has accepted that her fate is determined for her and will continue to live her life accordingly

Kathy will rebel against her fate and try to change the course of her destiny

• Question 1

Who is this quotation referring to?

"...they say she gets to pick and choose, and she always chooses her own kind: people from Hailsham, or one of the other privileged estates."

CORRECT ANSWER
Kathy
EDDIE SAYS
Did you get this one? This is from Chapter One and is when Kathy is introducing herself. Although at this point we know very little about Kathy's role, this quotation gives us a very early insight both into how Kathy is well regarded as a carer and how special Hailsham is.
  • Question 2

Complete the quotation from Chapter One which helps to highlight the unreliability of Kathy's first person narrative.

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
How did you do? Kathy's narrative is a first person narrative and therefore we can say it's unreliable because we only get her perspective. Added to this unreliability is the issue of memory. Kathy, as an adult, is recounting things from her childhood, and often draws attention to how she might have remembered things differently to the reality. Ishiguro therefore, forces his reader to question what is truth!
  • Question 3

Who tells Tommy that he didn't have to be creative at school?

"What she said was that if I didn't want to be creative, if I really didn't feel like it, that was perfectly all right."

CORRECT ANSWER
Miss Lucy
EDDIE SAYS
Did you find this one? It's from Chapter 2! This is where the reader begins to see that Miss Lucy is different from the other guardians. Kathy tells us how important creativity is and that Tommy didn't create much. The fact that Miss Lucy tells him this ok, makes us question why! Indeed, later in the novel, she tells Tommy that she was wrong and that it was important after all. The fact that she also loses her job suggests to the reader that she has gone against the expectations at Hailsham. At the very end, it is revealed that Miss Lucy believed students should be told the full truth about their fate as donors, a very different attitude to Miss Emily.
  • Question 4

What is being referred to in the following quotation:

"She keeps coming here and taking away our best work."

CORRECT ANSWER
Madame
Gallery
The gallery
EDDIE SAYS
Here Kathy and Tommy are talking about Madame taking their pictures away for the gallery! Both Madame and the gallery remain a mystery for much of the novel. It isn't until the very end that Ishiguro reveals the purpose of the gallery; it was the way Miss Emily and Madame were trying to prove that clones had souls and should, therefore, be treated like normal human beings.
  • Question 5

Complete the following quotation, spoken by Ruth in Chapter four:

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
Did you guess "secret guards"? This is one of the times we see one of Ruth's make-believe worlds. Not only does this help her gain power in the group of students who look up to her and want to impress her but it also reveals a lot about her character. Ruth's life is make-believe; she pretends to be confident but deep down, Kathy shows us that she is insecure and in desperate need to be accepted.
  • Question 6

Underline the keyword in the quotation below where Ishiguro depicts imagery of physical boundaries.

CORRECT ANSWER
"She'd been a Hailsham student until one day she'd climbed over a fence just to see what it was like outside."
EDDIE SAYS
Did you underline 'fence'? Ishiguro uses lots of imagery related to boundaries. This imagery is evocative of World War II concentration camps and helps create a real sense of these students' lives being controlled and their basic human rights being taken away.
  • Question 7

In Chapter 7, Miss Lucy explains the students' purpose at Hailsham.

Complete the quotation below to show what she said.

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
How did you do? Lots of information is gradually fed to the reader with lots of questions left unanswered. Kathy's narrative jumps from the past to the present and leaves gaps which builds dramatic tension for the reader. This part of the novel is important. As Kathy recounts what she was told by Miss Lucy, the reader understands the purpose of the students clearly for the first time. We may have guessed before this point, having pieced information together, but this is the first explicit explanation.
  • Question 8

In Chapter 19, just before her death, Ruth asks Kathy to do something.

Find the quotation and write it below. Remember to use quotation marks.

CORRECT ANSWER
"You and Tommy, you've got to try and get a deferral."
EDDIE SAYS
How did you do? This quotation is the most accurate one to answer the question above. Just before her death, we see a change in Ruth. She admits her faults; her biggest one keeping Tommy and Kathy apart. Her insecurity is highlighted here. Her way of making amends for her behaviour is to give Tommy and Kathy the best chance now, by giving them the address of Madame who might allow them a deferral. The students think that if they prove they're in love, they might be able to persuade Madame to delay their fate in becoming donors. Tragically, this is proven a false theory at the end of the novel!
  • Question 9

Match the following quotations to the character speaking.

CORRECT ANSWER

Column A

Column B

Madame
"And I saw a little girl, her eye...
Miss Emily
"But we sheltered you during thos...
Tommy
"I think Miss Lucy was right. Not...
Kathy
"I lost Ruth, then I lost Tommy, ...
EDDIE SAYS
Did you manage to match them all? Remember that you will need to remember a few quotations for each character and theme in 'Never Let Me Go' so that you can use them readily in your exam response. Try to build a quotation bank and keep practising memorising them. The quotations above are taken from the last few chapters. Madame - this quotation shows her sadness at the way the world is changing and her pity for the students. Miss Emily - here we see how her intentions were to protect the students from the full information about their fates to retain their childhood innocence for as long as possible. Tommy - this quotation shows that he feels like they should have been told the full truth about their fates. Kathy - Kathy's narrative highlights the importance of memories and those are of the relationships she has built.
  • Question 10

What does the ending line of 'Never Let Me Go' suggest?

"I just waited a bit, then turned back to the car, to drive off to wherever it was I was supposed to be."

CORRECT ANSWER
Kathy has accepted that her fate is determined for her and will continue to live her life accordingly
EDDIE SAYS
Did you choose the first one? The keyword in the quotation is "supposed". This word suggests that Kathy's fate is determined and that she is willing to let the path take her wherever it is meant to. Ishiguro was interested in the idea of social determinism which is epitomised in this quotation.
---- OR ----

Sign up for a £1 trial so you can track and measure your child's progress on this activity.

What is EdPlace?

We're your National Curriculum aligned online education content provider helping each child succeed in English, maths and science from year 1 to GCSE. With an EdPlace account you’ll be able to track and measure progress, helping each child achieve their best. We build confidence and attainment by personalising each child’s learning at a level that suits them.

Get started
laptop

Start your £1 trial today.
Subscribe from £10/month.