The smart way to improve grades

Comprehensive & curriculum aligned

Affordable pricing from £10/month

Read and Understand Fables: 'The Lion and the Mouse'

In this worksheet, students read the fable 'The Lion and the Mouse' and answer questions on it.

'Read and Understand Fables: 'The Lion and the Mouse'' worksheet

Key stage:  KS 2

Curriculum topic:  Reading: Comprehension

Curriculum subtopic:  Check Understanding of Text

Difficulty level:  

down

Worksheet Overview

QUESTION 1 of 10

A fable is a short story that has a moral, or message. The characters in fables are often talking animals.

Read this famous fable and then answer the questions in the worksheet. Remember that you can look back at the story as often as you like by clicking the Help button.

The Lion and the Mouse

One day a mighty lion was asleep after a big meal when he was woken up by a mouse running across his body. He reached out a paw and trapped the mouse by the tail.

'How dare you wake me like this?' he roared. 'Now I shall eat you.'

'Oh, please forgive me, mighty Lion,' squeaked the mouse. 'I am truly sorry I woke you up. If you let me go I promise I will return the favour one day.'

The lion was so amused by the idea of the tiny mouse being able to help him in any way that he lifted up his paw and let the mouse go. The mouse scurried off gratefully while the lion lay down to sleep again, chuckling.

Some time later the lion was captured by a group of hunters who tied him up while they went to celebrate. The little mouse happened to pass by, and, remembering that the lion had released him, decided to do the same. He gnawed away at the ropes binding the lion until the great animal was free.

'You see,' said the mouse. 'You may have laughed at my smallness but I knew I would be able to help you one day.'

The moral of the story is 'Little friends may prove great friends'.

Why is the lion angry with the mouse to begin with?

He is hungry.

The mouse has hurt him.

The mouse has woken him up.

Why does the lion decide to let the mouse go?

He feels sorry for the mouse.

He thinks the idea of the mouse being able to help him is very funny.

He is too full up to eat the mouse.

Which verb is used to describe the way the mouse ran off when the lion let him go?

Write it in the answer box.

You can often work out the meaning of new words by their context (the words around them). What does the word 'binding' mean near the end of the story?

eating

tying

tickling

Why did the mouse decide to help the lion?

because the lion was hungry

because the lion was asleep

because the lion had let him go

The mouse acts bravely in the story, as the lion could attack him after he sets him free.

Which of the following words are similar in meaning to 'brave'? You may need a dictionary to help you.

Tick three boxes.

cowardly

valiant

courageous

timid

daring

fearful

The moral of the fable is 'Little friends may prove great friends'. What does the word 'great' mean here?

a friend who is tall and wide

a friend who does good deeds

a friend who is important

Which of the following morals also matches with this fable?

Honesty is the best policy.

Never trust your enemy.

One good turn deserves another.

• Question 1

Why is the lion angry with the mouse to begin with?

CORRECT ANSWER
The mouse has woken him up.
EDDIE SAYS
The lion is angry because the mouse has woken him from his sleep.
  • Question 2

Why does the lion decide to let the mouse go?

CORRECT ANSWER
He thinks the idea of the mouse being able to help him is very funny.
EDDIE SAYS
The lion cannot believe that such a small creature as the mouse would ever be able to help a mighty animal like himself.
  • Question 3

Which verb is used to describe the way the mouse ran off when the lion let him go?

Write it in the answer box.

CORRECT ANSWER
scurry
Scurry
scurried
Scurried
EDDIE SAYS
To scurry means to move quickly and with short steps. It is often used to describe the way small animals such as mice move.
  • Question 4

You can often work out the meaning of new words by their context (the words around them). What does the word 'binding' mean near the end of the story?

CORRECT ANSWER
tying
EDDIE SAYS
To bind something means to tie it together tightly.
  • Question 5

Why did the mouse decide to help the lion?

CORRECT ANSWER
because the lion had let him go
EDDIE SAYS
'Released' means to 'let go'.
  • Question 6

The mouse acts bravely in the story, as the lion could attack him after he sets him free.

Which of the following words are similar in meaning to 'brave'? You may need a dictionary to help you.

Tick three boxes.

CORRECT ANSWER
valiant
courageous
daring
EDDIE SAYS
Valiant is an old-fashioned word meaning brave or courageous. It is often used in traditional stories.
  • Question 7

The moral of the fable is 'Little friends may prove great friends'. What does the word 'great' mean here?

CORRECT ANSWER
a friend who does good deeds
EDDIE SAYS
In the moral, great means that mouse did a good deed.
  • Question 8

Which of the following morals also matches with this fable?

CORRECT ANSWER
One good turn deserves another.
EDDIE SAYS
The lion does the mouse a good turn, by letting him go free, so the mouse does one in return.
---- OR ----

Sign up for a £1 trial so you can track and measure your child's progress on this activity.

What is EdPlace?

We're your National Curriculum aligned online education content provider helping each child succeed in English, maths and science from year 1 to GCSE. With an EdPlace account you’ll be able to track and measure progress, helping each child achieve their best. We build confidence and attainment by personalising each child’s learning at a level that suits them.

Start your £1 trial

Start your trial for £1