Loading please wait

The smart way to improve grades

Comprehensive & curriculum aligned

Try an activity or get started for free

Read and Understand Fables: 'The Ant and the Grasshopper'

In this worksheet, students will read and answer questions about the fable 'The Ant and the Grasshopper'.

'Read and Understand Fables: 'The Ant and the Grasshopper'' worksheet

Key stage:  KS 2

Year:  Year 3 English worksheets

Curriculum topic:   Reading: Comprehension

Curriculum subtopic:   Check Understanding of Text

Popular topics:   Reading Comprehension worksheets

Difficulty level:  

Worksheet Overview

A fable is a type of short story. The characters in fables are often talking animals.

Read this famous fable and then have a go at answering the questions in the activity.

girl reading

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The Ant and the Grasshopper

grasshopper on a leaf

One hot day in late summer the ant was busy carrying an ear of corn back to her nest ready for the winter. She came upon her friend the grasshopper, who was lazing in the sunshine, singing.

"Why aren't you preparing for winter?" asked the ant.

"Winter! Who cares about winter?" retorted the grasshopper. "I've got plenty of food for now. Why don't you stop rushing about in the heat and come and sit down here with me?"

The exhausted ant mopped her brow. Although she would have loved to sit down and pass the time of day with her friend she resolutely picked up her burden again and set off.

"No thank you," she called over her shoulder. "I need to make sure I have enough food for winter, and I suggest that you do the same."

Winter finally arrived, and it was a long and cold one. The ant and her family were warm and snug with plenty of food, but the grasshopper went hungry and no longer had anything to sing about.

The moral of the story is be prepared.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Now let's have a look at the questions.

Remember that you can look back at the story as often as you like by clicking the red help button.

What is EdPlace?

We're your National Curriculum aligned online education content provider helping each child succeed in English, maths and science from year 1 to GCSE. With an EdPlace account you’ll be able to track and measure progress, helping each child achieve their best. We build confidence and attainment by personalising each child’s learning at a level that suits them.

Get started
laptop

Popular English topics

Try an activity or get started for free

• National Tutoring Awards 2023 Shortlisted / Parents
    National Tutoring Awards 2023 Shortlisted
  • Private-Tutoring-WINNER-EducationInvestor-Awards / Parents
    Winner - Private Tutoring
  • Bett Awards Finalist / Parents
    Finalist
  • Winner - Best for Home Learning / Parents
    Winner - Best for Home Learning / Parents