The smart way to improve grades

Comprehensive & curriculum aligned

Affordable pricing from £10/month

Reading Myths: Finn McCool 1

In this worksheet, students will read the myth of Finn McCool and try to work out why the characters are behaving in particular ways and what happens next.

'Reading Myths: Finn McCool 1' worksheet

Key stage:  KS 2

Curriculum topic:  Reading: Comprehension

Curriculum subtopic:  Draw Inferences About Texts

Difficulty level:  

down

Worksheet Overview

QUESTION 1 of 10

These pictures are of the Giant's Causeway in Ireland.

The rocks are huge boulders that fit together like a paved path, far too heavy to be lifted by people. To explain their creation, people in Ireland tell the story of Finn McCool.

Finn McCool

Finn was fed up. He was a huge giant who lived happily with his wife Oonagh in a cottage by the sea. But, something, or should I say, someone, had come along to ruin his peace.

In Scotland there lived a giant called Benandonner, The Red Man. He had been boasting that he was stronger and bigger than Finn! Finn was so angry that he decided to build a path across the sea to Scotland so he could go and fight him.

So, Finn picked up the boulders from the surrounding hills and threw them into the sea until he had made a path. He yelled across at Benandonner:

"Come on then, Benandonner, if you think you are stronger than me, come and prove it!"

Finn laughed as he sat down on the beach to wait. It didn't take long. Benandonner had already started to walk across from the other side of the sea.

"Ha!" thought Benandonner. "He thinks he can beat me! Ha! He's nothing but a dot on the horizon!"

But as Benandonner got closer, Finn realised that the small dot was getting larger and larger, taller and... wider!

Finn leapt to his feet and ran into the cottage to find Oonagh.

"Oonagh, Oonagh, I've done something really silly!" he cried.

Oonagh was stoking the fire, and she looked up when he ran in.

Finn explained that he had shouted a challenge to Benandonner across the sea, and even built a path so he could come across without getting his feet wet. Now, Finn was scared, he thought Benandonner looked enormous!

Oonagh sat down on a creaky wooden chair and listened carefully. When Finn had finished explaining, she unfolded her hands from her lap, and quietly said,

"Right Finn, you will need to move fast. We haven't got much time... "

Now answer some questions about what you have read. Think particularly about what happens next, and why.

Why did Finn build The Causeway?

Finn wanted Benandonner to come over for a fight.

Finn wanted to make something from the boulders.

How did Finn feel when he saw Benandonner?

Finn felt angry and ready for a fight!

Finn felt scared as Benandonner was enormous!

Tick two words that describe Oonagh.

scared

clever

silly

brave

Read the next part of the story to find out some of Oonagh's plan.

Quickly, Oonagh started telling Finn things to do. Whilst she did that, she started gathering ingredients: flour, salt, water and threw them on the table. She got a big bowl and spoon and started stirring and kneading some rolls. She found some stones and pebbles on the beach and mixed these into some of the rolls, leaving only one, which she sweetened with honey instead.

Meanwhile, Finn collected an old cradle from the attic, just as Oonagh had told him to. He hoped she had thought of a way to save him from Benandonner. When he had set the cradle down, Oonagh said: 

"Get in the cradle, Finn."

"But I'm too big!" Finn replied.

"Yes, that is all part of my plan!" declared Oonagh. She tucked him in with some toys, then fetched the freshly baked rolls from the oven.

Suddenly, there was a great bang at the door...

​*************************************

Why has Oonagh dressed Finn like a baby?

because Finn is scared

to trick Benandonner

Read the next part to find out what happened when Benandonner reached the house.

Oonagh opened the door.

"I'm sorry," said Oonagh, "but Finn is not at home. He has to move just a few more mountains before he has finished for the day."

Benandonner was a very big giant, but he looked a little worried when he heard about the mountains.

"Come and sit down. I will make you a cup of tea and while you are waiting, I wonder if you'd mind moving the house round for me? Finn always does it for me when the wind is blowing from the sea."

Benandonner heaved and tugged but couldn't move the house round at all.

"Oh!" said Oonagh in surprise, "couldn't you manage? My Finn can practically do it with one hand!" she laughed.

Benandonner gulped, and his hand started to shake.

"Ooh, you look a bit pale. Would you like a fresh bun?" asked Oonagh. "They are Finn's favourites."

She handed him one of the stone and pebble buns she had made earlier.

Benandonner bit into it hungrily, then yelled in surprise as his teeth crunched onto an enormous stone. He gave such a yell that the whole cottage shook. Finn yelled too. He didn't know what was going on and thought Benandonner was about to find him.

"Oh dear," sighed Oonagh, "you've woken up the baby."

She drew back the cloth and handed Finn the honey bun she had made. He ate it quickly.

Benandonner couldn't believe his eyes when he saw a GIANT baby eat the bun.

Why did Oonagh ask Benandonner to move the house?

She wanted Benandonner to think Finn was strong.

She wanted the house moved.

Why did Benandonner gulp and start to shake?

He was frightened.

He was cold.

Why did Oonagh give a honey bun to Finn (the baby) and a stone and pebble bun to Benandonner?

to make the baby look strong and Benandonner weak

to stop Finn from yelling out

Now read the story ending.

"That baby is huge! How can he eat that bun? He must be REALLY strong!" Benandonner cried. His whole body began to tremble. He threw down the rest of his bun and started backing towards the door.

"IF THAT'S THE BABY, THEN HOW STRONG IS HIS FATHER?" he yelled in fear.

At that, he burst out of the cottage and ran as fast as he could along the causeway, back to Scotland.

"That show's him who's boss!" laughed Finn as he climbed awkwardly out of the cradle.

"Yes!" said Oonagh, "I hope it showed you too!"

Why did Benandonner run away?

He had really hurt his teeth.

He was too scared to meet Finn.

Tick two words that describe Finn's character.

scared

clever

silly

brave

Who is 'the boss'?

Finn McCool

Oonagh

• Question 1

Why did Finn build The Causeway?

CORRECT ANSWER
Finn wanted Benandonner to come over for a fight.
  • Question 2

How did Finn feel when he saw Benandonner?

CORRECT ANSWER
Finn felt scared as Benandonner was enormous!
EDDIE SAYS
Finn was scared. He ran back into the cottage to tell his wife what he had done.
  • Question 3

Tick two words that describe Oonagh.

CORRECT ANSWER
clever
brave
EDDIE SAYS
Oonagh is brave because she is helping fight the huge Benandonner. She must be clever because she has thought of a plan.
  • Question 4

Read the next part of the story to find out some of Oonagh's plan.

Quickly, Oonagh started telling Finn things to do. Whilst she did that, she started gathering ingredients: flour, salt, water and threw them on the table. She got a big bowl and spoon and started stirring and kneading some rolls. She found some stones and pebbles on the beach and mixed these into some of the rolls, leaving only one, which she sweetened with honey instead.

Meanwhile, Finn collected an old cradle from the attic, just as Oonagh had told him to. He hoped she had thought of a way to save him from Benandonner. When he had set the cradle down, Oonagh said: 

"Get in the cradle, Finn."

"But I'm too big!" Finn replied.

"Yes, that is all part of my plan!" declared Oonagh. She tucked him in with some toys, then fetched the freshly baked rolls from the oven.

Suddenly, there was a great bang at the door...

​*************************************

Why has Oonagh dressed Finn like a baby?

CORRECT ANSWER
to trick Benandonner
EDDIE SAYS
Oonagh is trying to trick Benandonner by dressing Finn up as a baby.
  • Question 5

Read the next part to find out what happened when Benandonner reached the house.

Oonagh opened the door.

"I'm sorry," said Oonagh, "but Finn is not at home. He has to move just a few more mountains before he has finished for the day."

Benandonner was a very big giant, but he looked a little worried when he heard about the mountains.

"Come and sit down. I will make you a cup of tea and while you are waiting, I wonder if you'd mind moving the house round for me? Finn always does it for me when the wind is blowing from the sea."

Benandonner heaved and tugged but couldn't move the house round at all.

"Oh!" said Oonagh in surprise, "couldn't you manage? My Finn can practically do it with one hand!" she laughed.

Benandonner gulped, and his hand started to shake.

"Ooh, you look a bit pale. Would you like a fresh bun?" asked Oonagh. "They are Finn's favourites."

She handed him one of the stone and pebble buns she had made earlier.

Benandonner bit into it hungrily, then yelled in surprise as his teeth crunched onto an enormous stone. He gave such a yell that the whole cottage shook. Finn yelled too. He didn't know what was going on and thought Benandonner was about to find him.

"Oh dear," sighed Oonagh, "you've woken up the baby."

She drew back the cloth and handed Finn the honey bun she had made. He ate it quickly.

Benandonner couldn't believe his eyes when he saw a GIANT baby eat the bun.

Why did Oonagh ask Benandonner to move the house?

CORRECT ANSWER
She wanted Benandonner to think Finn was strong.
EDDIE SAYS
Oonagh wanted Benandonner to think that Finn was stronger than he was.
  • Question 6

Why did Benandonner gulp and start to shake?

CORRECT ANSWER
He was frightened.
EDDIE SAYS
Oonagh was tricking Benandonner into thinking that Finn is much stronger. Benandonner was beginning to get scared.
  • Question 7

Why did Oonagh give a honey bun to Finn (the baby) and a stone and pebble bun to Benandonner?

CORRECT ANSWER
to make the baby look strong and Benandonner weak
EDDIE SAYS
Oonagh wanted Benandonner to think he wasn't as strong as Finn's baby. She also wanted to show Benandonner the 'giant' baby so he would be scared.
  • Question 8

Now read the story ending.

"That baby is huge! How can he eat that bun? He must be REALLY strong!" Benandonner cried. His whole body began to tremble. He threw down the rest of his bun and started backing towards the door.

"IF THAT'S THE BABY, THEN HOW STRONG IS HIS FATHER?" he yelled in fear.

At that, he burst out of the cottage and ran as fast as he could along the causeway, back to Scotland.

"That show's him who's boss!" laughed Finn as he climbed awkwardly out of the cradle.

"Yes!" said Oonagh, "I hope it showed you too!"

Why did Benandonner run away?

CORRECT ANSWER
He was too scared to meet Finn.
  • Question 9

Tick two words that describe Finn's character.

CORRECT ANSWER
scared
silly
EDDIE SAYS
Finn is the opposite of Oonagh; he is too scared to do anything and too silly to help.
  • Question 10

Who is 'the boss'?

CORRECT ANSWER
Oonagh
EDDIE SAYS
Oonagh is definitely the boss - it was her plan that helped trick Benandonner, whilst Finn was too scared to do anything.
---- OR ----

Sign up for a £1 trial so you can track and measure your child's progress on this activity.

What is EdPlace?

We're your National Curriculum aligned online education content provider helping each child succeed in English, maths and science from year 1 to GCSE. With an EdPlace account you’ll be able to track and measure progress, helping each child achieve their best. We build confidence and attainment by personalising each child’s learning at a level that suits them.

Start your £1 trial

Start your trial for £1