The smart way to improve grades

Comprehensive & curriculum aligned

Affordable pricing from £10/month

Composition: How to Write for Your Audience 3

In this worksheet, students practise identifying sentences that are written in the first, second and third person.

'Composition: How to Write for Your Audience 3' worksheet

Key stage:  KS 2

Curriculum topic:  Writing: Composition

Curriculum subtopic:  Plan What and Who to Write For

Difficulty level:  

down

Worksheet Overview

QUESTION 1 of 10

Sentences can be written in the first, second or third person.

When we are talking about ourselves we use the words I and we. This is called the first person.

If we are talking to somebody else we use the word you. This is called the second person.

You must go to bed now.

If we are talking about other people we use their names or the words he, she, it and they. This is called the third person.

Jayden is coming to my house tonight.

They are getting a new puppy.

She is older than me.

Read the sentence and decide whether it is written in the first, second or third person.

I love chocolate!

first person

second person

third person

Read the sentence and decide whether it is written in the first, second or third person.

Jamila is very good at tennis.

first person

second person

third person

If you want to get to the library you need to turn left at the next junction.

first person

second person

third person

Jake and Paul are twins.

first person

second person

third person

Would you like a drink?

first person

second person

third person

I love playing cricket.

first person

second person

third person

Where have you put your coat?

first person

second person

third person

My brother is starting a new job next week.

first person

second person

third person

We are going to the Lake District on holiday this year.

first person

second person

third person

Katie and Tim are moving to Liverpool in the summer.

first person

second person

third person

• Question 1

I love chocolate!

CORRECT ANSWER
first person
  • Question 2

Jamila is very good at tennis.

CORRECT ANSWER
third person
  • Question 3

If you want to get to the library you need to turn left at the next junction.

CORRECT ANSWER
second person
  • Question 4

Jake and Paul are twins.

CORRECT ANSWER
third person
  • Question 5

Would you like a drink?

CORRECT ANSWER
second person
  • Question 6

I love playing cricket.

CORRECT ANSWER
first person
  • Question 7

Where have you put your coat?

CORRECT ANSWER
second person
  • Question 8

My brother is starting a new job next week.

CORRECT ANSWER
third person
EDDIE SAYS
Even though this sentence starts with the word 'my', it is still talking about someone else, so it is in the third person.
  • Question 9

We are going to the Lake District on holiday this year.

CORRECT ANSWER
first person
  • Question 10

Katie and Tim are moving to Liverpool in the summer.

CORRECT ANSWER
third person
---- OR ----

Sign up for a £1 trial so you can track and measure your child's progress on this activity.

What is EdPlace?

We're your National Curriculum aligned online education content provider helping each child succeed in English, maths and science from year 1 to GCSE. With an EdPlace account you’ll be able to track and measure progress, helping each child achieve their best. We build confidence and attainment by personalising each child’s learning at a level that suits them.

Start your £1 trial

Start your trial for £1