The smart way to improve grades

Comprehensive & curriculum aligned

Affordable pricing from £10/month

Proofread Effectively

In this worksheet, students will rehearse the important skill of editing and proofreading their writing effectively.

'Proofread Effectively ' worksheet

Key stage:  KS 2

Curriculum topic:   Writing: Composition

Curriculum subtopic:   Proofread Own Work for Errors

Difficulty level:  

Worksheet Overview

QUESTION 1 of 10

In this activity, you will practise how to effectively edit and proofread your own writing.

It's important that you can effectively proofread in order to ensure your writing is accurate and well-structured.

When you proofread your writing, you need to evaluate and edit carefully:

- Check that your use of vocabulary and grammar enhances and clarifies the meaning

- Check there is the use of a consistent tense

- Check the subject-verb agreement is suitable

- Proofread for spelling and punctuation errors.

Example 1:

I wennt to a swimming lesson on saturday morning

Correction of example:

I went to a swimming lesson on Saturday morning.

To effectively edit this sentence, we had to correct spelling, missing use of a capital letter and add a full stop.

Example 2:

I was happy.

Edit this sentence so that the writing is more interesting to read.

I was deliriously ecstatic, I could not believe that I had won the competition! I beamed from ear to ear!

Read the sentence below carefully.

Can you correct it and rewrite it in the box?

my favurite food is passta

Ill jump over the stream, its my choice.

Can you identify which words have grammatical or spelling errors?

The Castle was old and colld but i wasnt frightened.

When editing your writing, it is important to check that you have correctly used apostrophes.

Can you complete the blank spaces below to show how the words should be correctly contracted?

Apostrophes can also be used to show ownership and again must be used carefully in your writing.

Can you read the short statements below and choose which are correct?

Dol'ls hairDoll's hairWomans' veilWoman's veil
Correct Use of Apostrophe for Possession

When using 'its' or it's' in our writing, we have to think carefully about whether to use an apostrophe or not.

Read the sentences carefully and again choose the ones that are correctly punctuated.

It's freezingIts boilingIts not my decisionListen to its song
Correct Use of Its or It's

When producing good quality writing, we must ensure we use the correct tense.

Read the sentences below carefully and match either 'was' or 'were' to each one.

Column A

Column B

The man in red ____ waiting.
were
The boys _____ very noisy.
were
We _____ creeping slowly back to our room.
was
I remembered where I ____ at the time.
was

When proofreading our writing, it's important to edit for the effective use of conjunctions.

Conjunctions are used within a sentence to connect clauses or to coordinate clauses in the same clause.

Below are some sentences missing conjunctions, can you choose the most appropriate conjunction available?

Column A

Column B

The sun was beaming down ________ the conservatory...
therefore
The old woman entered, _____the room turned ice co...
because
The man was frightening ______ his face was decaye...
suddenly

When proofreading your writing, it's important to avoid repetition of verbs.

For example, walking could be replaced with strolling.

Look at the words below and match them with their alternative verbs.

Column A

Column B

Ran
Sprinted
Watched
Bellowed
Ate
Munched
Shouted
Peered

There is an error in the sentence below.

Carefully read it and identify which word needs correcting.

The cats collar had her name on it. It was hard to read though.

The cats collar had her name on it. It was hard to read though.
  • Question 1

my favurite food is passta

CORRECT ANSWER
My favourite food is pasta.
EDDIE SAYS
How did you find the first question? This sentence had a missing capital letter and full stop. It also had two spelling errors. Rewritten the sentence is: My favourite food is pasta.
  • Question 2

Ill jump over the stream, its my choice.

CORRECT ANSWER
I'll jump over the stream, it's my choice.
EDDIE SAYS
This time the sentence is missing the correct use of apostrophes to show a contraction. Rewritten the sentence is: I'll jump over the stream, it's my choice. Hopefully, this is beginning to get easier for you.
  • Question 3

Can you identify which words have grammatical or spelling errors?

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
There certainly was a lot of editing to do to this sentence! It has incorrect use of capital letters and missing capital letters. The sentence has a missing apostrophe in 'wasn't'. There is also a spelling error, 'cold'. The rewritten sentence is: The castle was old and cold but I wasn't frightened.
  • Question 4

When editing your writing, it is important to check that you have correctly used apostrophes.

Can you complete the blank spaces below to show how the words should be correctly contracted?

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
Apostrophes for contraction are used to replace missing letters. For example: it is not = it isn't When editing your writing, check you have used apostrophes correctly, it's easy to make a mistake with these.
  • Question 5

Apostrophes can also be used to show ownership and again must be used carefully in your writing.

Can you read the short statements below and choose which are correct?

CORRECT ANSWER
 Dol'ls hairDoll's hairWomans' veilWoman's veil
Correct Use of Apostrophe for Possession
EDDIE SAYS
How did you find this question? If your writing refers to a person or thing, the apostrophe is inserted before the 's', e.g. doll's hair. If your writing refers to more than one person or thing (plural), the apostrophe is inserted after the 's', e.g. dolls' hair. The correctly punctuated phrases are: Doll's hair Woman's veil
  • Question 6

When using 'its' or it's' in our writing, we have to think carefully about whether to use an apostrophe or not.

Read the sentences carefully and again choose the ones that are correctly punctuated.

CORRECT ANSWER
 It's freezingIts boilingIts not my decisionListen to its song
Correct Use of Its or It's
EDDIE SAYS
Apostrophes are quite tricky, aren't they? It is = it's, for example, 'It's getting louder in here.' When showing ownership, we use 'its', for example, 'The sky was gloomy, its clouds were grey.' The correctly punctuated sentences are: 'It's freezing.' 'Listen to its song'.
  • Question 7

When producing good quality writing, we must ensure we use the correct tense.

Read the sentences below carefully and match either 'was' or 'were' to each one.

CORRECT ANSWER

Column A

Column B

The man in red ____ waiting.
was
The boys _____ very noisy.
were
We _____ creeping slowly back to ...
were
I remembered where I ____ at the ...
was
EDDIE SAYS
If we are using the past tense for a singular person/ thing, we use 'was'. If we are using the past tense for the plural, we use 'were'. The sentences, using the correct tense are: 'The man in red was waiting.' 'The boys were very noisy.' 'We were creeping slowly back to our room.' 'I remembered where I was at the time.'
  • Question 8

When proofreading our writing, it's important to edit for the effective use of conjunctions.

Conjunctions are used within a sentence to connect clauses or to coordinate clauses in the same clause.

Below are some sentences missing conjunctions, can you choose the most appropriate conjunction available?

CORRECT ANSWER

Column A

Column B

The sun was beaming down ________...
therefore
The old woman entered, _____the r...
suddenly
The man was frightening ______ hi...
because
EDDIE SAYS
How did you get on matching the most suitable conjunction? Effective use of conjunctions improves the quality and complexity of your writing. The most suitable use of the conjuntions are: 'The sun was beaming down therefore the conservatory was boiling hot!' 'The old woman entered, suddenly the room turned ice cold.' 'The man was frightening because his face was decayed.'
  • Question 9

When proofreading your writing, it's important to avoid repetition of verbs.

For example, walking could be replaced with strolling.

Look at the words below and match them with their alternative verbs.

CORRECT ANSWER

Column A

Column B

Ran
Sprinted
Watched
Peered
Ate
Munched
Shouted
Bellowed
EDDIE SAYS
The matching alternative verbs are: Ran = Sprinted Watched = Peered Ate = Munched Shouted = Bellowed
  • Question 10

There is an error in the sentence below.

Carefully read it and identify which word needs correcting.

The cats collar had her name on it. It was hard to read though.

CORRECT ANSWER
The cats collar had her name on it. It was hard to read though.
EDDIE SAYS
Did you spot the mistake? The error is 'cats', it needs an apostrophe to show the cat possesses the collar. The corrected sentence should read 'The cat's collar had her name on it. It was hard to read though.' Great focus, that’s another activity completed!
---- OR ----

Sign up for a £1 trial so you can track and measure your child's progress on this activity.

What is EdPlace?

We're your National Curriculum aligned online education content provider helping each child succeed in English, maths and science from year 1 to GCSE. With an EdPlace account you’ll be able to track and measure progress, helping each child achieve their best. We build confidence and attainment by personalising each child’s learning at a level that suits them.

Get started
laptop

Start your £1 trial today.
Subscribe from £10/month.