The smart way to improve grades

Comprehensive & curriculum aligned

Affordable pricing from £10/month

Use Knowledge of Etymology to Help Spell Words 1

In this worksheet, students use their knowledge of etymology, or the history of words, to help with their spelling.

'Use Knowledge of Etymology to Help Spell Words 1' worksheet

Key stage:  KS 2

Curriculum topic:   Writing: Transcription

Curriculum subtopic:   Spelling Awareness (use knowledge of morphology and etymology in spelling)

Difficulty level:  

Worksheet Overview

QUESTION 1 of 10

The etymology of a word is the study of where it came from and how its meaning has changed. It is a bit like the history of a person. If we know where a word came from and what it used to mean it can help us to understand what it means today and how to spell it.

The English language has a lot of words that originally came from other languages, especially Latin and Greek. For example, the English prefix therm- comes from a Greek word meaning 'heat'. If we know this it helps us to understand and spell words like thermal and thermometer.

Look at the table below. It contains words (or parts of words) that have come from Latin or Greek. They are often used as prefixes and suffixes, and can sometimes be found in the middle of modern words, too. Try to memorise their spellings and what they mean, as you will need them to complete this worksheet.

Greek or Latin word Etymology
therm (Greek) heat
circ (Latin) circle or ring
geo (Greek) earth
cent (Latin) one hundred
sol (Latin) sun

Decide which is the correct spelling of the missing word below and copy it into the answer box. See if you can do it without looking back at the introduction page, but do check if you are not sure.

We use a __________ to take our temperature when we are not well.

thermometer

thurmometer

Decide which is the correct spelling of the missing word below and copy it into the answer box.

The longest day of the year is called the summer __________.

saulstice

solstice

Decide which is the correct spelling of the missing word below and copy it into the answer box.

We are learning about India in our __________ lessons at the moment.

jography

geography

Queen Victoria died at the beginning of the 20th __________.

century

sentury

We are learning about electricity in science. I know that I need a complete __________ for the bulb to light.

sircuit

circuit

We are having __________ panels put on our roof so that we can generate green electricity.

soalar

solar

My granddad always wears a __________ vest in the winter to keep him warm.

thermal

thirmal

The study of the Earth and the rocks that it is made from is called __________.

jollogy

geology

My mum and dad were really pleased because I got 90 __________ in my maths test.

persent

percent

Blood __________ around our bodies and carries oxygen to our muscles.

circulates

sirculates

• Question 1

Decide which is the correct spelling of the missing word below and copy it into the answer box. See if you can do it without looking back at the introduction page, but do check if you are not sure.

We use a __________ to take our temperature when we are not well.

thermometer

thurmometer

CORRECT ANSWER
thermometer
EDDIE SAYS
Let's do this! The word begins with therm-, which comes from the Greek word for heat. A thermometer measures how hot something is.
  • Question 2

The longest day of the year is called the summer __________.

saulstice

solstice

CORRECT ANSWER
solstice
EDDIE SAYS
Great effort! The word begins with sol-, which comes from the Latin word for the sun.
  • Question 3

We are learning about India in our __________ lessons at the moment.

jography

geography

CORRECT ANSWER
geography
EDDIE SAYS
You've got this! The word begins with geo-, which comes from the Greek word for the earth.
  • Question 4

Queen Victoria died at the beginning of the 20th __________.

century

sentury

CORRECT ANSWER
century
EDDIE SAYS
The word begins with cent-, which comes from the Latin word for one hundred. A century lasts for one hundred years. Keep it up super star!
  • Question 5

We are learning about electricity in science. I know that I need a complete __________ for the bulb to light.

sircuit

circuit

CORRECT ANSWER
circuit
EDDIE SAYS
High five! The word begins with circ-, which comes from the Latin word for a circle. A circuit does not have to be an exact circle but it must be closed (meaning that it has no breaks in it, like a circle).
  • Question 6

We are having __________ panels put on our roof so that we can generate green electricity.

soalar

solar

CORRECT ANSWER
solar
EDDIE SAYS
Have you got the hang of this now? The word begins with sol-, which comes from the Latin word for the sun. Solar panels use energy from the sun to make electricity.
  • Question 7

My granddad always wears a __________ vest in the winter to keep him warm.

thermal

thirmal

CORRECT ANSWER
thermal
EDDIE SAYS
Did you get it correct? The word begins with therm-, which comes from the Greek word for heat. Doing great rock star!
  • Question 8

The study of the Earth and the rocks that it is made from is called __________.

jollogy

geology

CORRECT ANSWER
geology
EDDIE SAYS
Excellent effort! The word begins with geo-, which comes from the Greek word for the earth.
  • Question 9

My mum and dad were really pleased because I got 90 __________ in my maths test.

persent

percent

CORRECT ANSWER
percent
EDDIE SAYS
The word ends with -cent, which comes from the Latin word for one hundred. Percent means 'out of one hundred'.
  • Question 10

Blood __________ around our bodies and carries oxygen to our muscles.

circulates

sirculates

CORRECT ANSWER
circulates
EDDIE SAYS
Fantastic! The word begins with circ-, which comes from the Latin word for a circle. Again, to circulate does not necessarily mean to go round in an exact circle. We talk about air circulating around a room.
---- OR ----

Sign up for a £1 trial so you can track and measure your child's progress on this activity.

What is EdPlace?

We're your National Curriculum aligned online education content provider helping each child succeed in English, maths and science from year 1 to GCSE. With an EdPlace account you’ll be able to track and measure progress, helping each child achieve their best. We build confidence and attainment by personalising each child’s learning at a level that suits them.

Get started
laptop

Start your £1 trial today.
Subscribe from £10/month.