The smart way to improve grades

Comprehensive & curriculum aligned

Affordable pricing from £10/month

Spelling words - end with long E sound

In this worksheet students will practice reading and spelling words that end with the long E sound.

'Spelling words - end with long E sound' worksheet

Key stage:  KS 2

Curriculum topic:   Reading: Word Reading

Curriculum subtopic:   Root Word Awareness

Difficulty level:  

Worksheet Overview

QUESTION 1 of 10

When we are practicing reading and spelling new words, it's a great idea to say them out loud, this will help us to hear all of the sounds. 

ear

When we are spelling a longer word, we can break the word down into smaller parts.

For example: fan-tas-tic

The word fantastic has been broken down into three smaller parts, saying these smaller parts out loud will make it easier when we want to spell the word and write it down. 

We may also spot a smaller word, inside the longer word. For example: fan inside the word fantastic! This smaller word is known as a root word. 

Below is a letter from Mrs Jackson, some of the longer words are not spelt correctly. 

Read this letter carefully, can you spot which longer words are incorrectly spelt? 

Dear Secretaree I feel it is necessari to write to you, as I would like to talk about the wonderful things that are happening in my local communeaty. I would love the oppertunity to come and speak to you, especialley in person. Yours sinserely Mrs N Jackson

Can you complete the missing word in this sentence?

Think about the spelling carefully, say the word out loud first so that you hear the sounds.

Top Tip: You might find it easier if you break down the longer word into smaller parts. cake

Dear Secretaree I feel it is necessari to write to you, as I would like to talk about the wonderful things that are happening in my local communeaty. I would love the oppertunity to come and speak to you, especialley in person. Yours sinserely Mrs N Jackson

Think about the spelling carefully, say the word out loud first so you can hear the sounds.

thief

Remember, breaking the word down into smaller parts can help!

There's a word missing in the sentence below.  Can you find the missing word?

Think about the spelling carefully, say the word out loud first so you can hear the sounds.

dictionary

Remember to break down the word into smaller parts. 

Below is a letter from Mr James about his difficult neighbour, some of the longer words in this letter are not spelt correctly. 

Read this letter carefully, can you spot any longer words that are incorrectly spelt? 

Hint: there are 9 spelling mistakes to find!

Dear Sir I am writing out of curiositee on behalf of the village committey. We would like to report a nuisanse naybour who has become a real hindranse. The mischeevous behaviour is happening most frecuently. We are getting desperut and would appreshiate your help. Thank you Mr C James

See if you can match the correct root word to the longer word it is found in? 

Column A

Column B

sincerely
secret
secretary
sin
forty
for

Here's another for you to try.  Can you match the correct root word to the longer word that it hides within? 

Column A

Column B

community
unity
opportunity
port
opportunity
unity

Choose the correct spelling word to complete the sentence. 

Remember to try these handy hints:

• Say it out loud, hear the sounds
  • Break up the word into smaller parts
  • Think about which graphemes (letters) make the word look correct

Amelia loves ice cream, this is why she ate it so frequently / frequentlee.

• Say it out loud and hear the sounds

fire bell

The fire bell is ringing, get out of the building immediately / immediatley.

• Say it out loud and hear the sounds
  • Think about which graphemes (letters) make the word look right 

Filled with curiosity / curiositea she peered through the wooden gate and into the wilderness.
  • Question 1

Below is a letter from Mrs Jackson, some of the longer words are not spelt correctly. 

Read this letter carefully, can you spot which longer words are incorrectly spelt? 

CORRECT ANSWER
Dear Secretaree

I feel it is necessari to write to you, as I would like to talk about the wonderful things that are happening in my local communeaty. I would love the oppertunity to come and speak to you, especialley in person.

Yours sinserely
Mrs N Jackson
EDDIE SAYS
Great job. There are 6 words to spot in the letter that have been spelt incorrectly. Even though they may have sounded ok when they were being read out loud, they did not have the correct graphemes (letters). For the letter to be correct, here are the correct spellings of the 6 words. secretary necessary community opportunity especially sincerely You can also see there is a pattern to these 6 words, they all end in a 'y', in these words it makes the long E sound!
  • Question 2

Think about the spelling carefully, say the word out loud first so that you hear the sounds.

Top Tip: You might find it easier if you break down the longer word into smaller parts. cake

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
Did you get it right? Forty is the correct spelling. The word forty could have been broken down into for-t-y. Did you spot the root word 'for' at the beginning? The 'y' at the end of forty is being used to make the long E sound again.
  • Question 3

thief

Remember, breaking the word down into smaller parts can help!

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
Did you get the right word? Identity is the correct spelling. The word identity could have been broken down into i-den-tity. Did you spot the root word 'den' in the middle? The 'y' at the end of identity is being used to make the long E sound here too.
  • Question 4

There's a word missing in the sentence below.  Can you find the missing word?

dictionary

Remember to break down the word into smaller parts. 

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
Did you spell it right? Dictionary is the correct spelling. The word dictionary could have been broken down into dic-tion-ary Did you spot the 'tion' in the middle? There are lots of words that contain 'tion', the 't' sounds like 'sh'. For example, station. The 'y' at the end of dictionary is being used to make the long E sound here too.
  • Question 5

Below is a letter from Mr James about his difficult neighbour, some of the longer words in this letter are not spelt correctly. 

Read this letter carefully, can you spot any longer words that are incorrectly spelt? 

Hint: there are 9 spelling mistakes to find!

CORRECT ANSWER
Dear Sir

I am writing out of curiositee on behalf of the village committey. We would like to report a nuisanse naybour who has become a real hindranse.

The mischeevous behaviour is happening most frecuently.

We are getting desperut and would appreshiate your help.

Thank you
Mr C James
EDDIE SAYS
There were 9 words to spot in the letter that had been spelt incorrectly. Even though they may have sounded ok, when they were being read out loud, they did not have the correct graphemes (letters). For the letter to be correct, here are the 9 correct spelling words. curiosity committee nuisance neighbour hindrance mischievous frequently desperate appreciate See if you can break them down into smaller parts. That way you'll remember the spellings for next time you use them in a piece of writing.
  • Question 6

See if you can match the correct root word to the longer word it is found in? 

CORRECT ANSWER

Column A

Column B

sincerely
sin
secretary
secret
forty
for
EDDIE SAYS
How did you get on? It's great when you can search for the root word inside a longer word. Finding and remembering these root words will help you spell these words next time. Remember a root word is a small word that can be found in a longer word.
  • Question 7

Here's another for you to try.  Can you match the correct root word to the longer word that it hides within? 

CORRECT ANSWER

Column A

Column B

community
unity
opportunity
unity
opportunity
port
EDDIE SAYS
This was a bit trickier as these were not at the start of the word. Remember, you are looking for a small word inside a longer word. You might want to cover up parts of the word with your fingers until you find the root word. Finding and remembering these root words will help you spell these words next time. You can see that some longer words can contain more than one root word. For example, the word opportunity contains 'port' and 'unity'. Unity means 'being joined together' this makes it a great root word to come from the word community!
  • Question 8

• Say it out loud, hear the sounds

CORRECT ANSWER
Amelia loves ice cream, this is why she ate it so frequently / frequentlee.
EDDIE SAYS
Doesn't it look delicious! But, did you get it right? The word frequently ends with the grapheme 'y', and in this word, it sounds like a long E. Frequently is an adverb, it describes how Amelia is doing something (eating ice cream) regularly.
  • Question 9

• Say it out loud and hear the sounds

fire bell

CORRECT ANSWER
The fire bell is ringing, get out of the building immediately / immediatley.
EDDIE SAYS
Nearly there, how are you getting on? The word immediately ends with the grapheme 'y', and in this word, it sounds like a long E. Immediately, is an adverb, it describes how quickly you need to exit the building. In an emergency instead of saying leave immediately, we might shout leave at once or get out now!
  • Question 10

• Say it out loud and hear the sounds
  • Think about which graphemes (letters) make the word look right 

CORRECT ANSWER
Filled with curiosity / curiositea she peered through the wooden gate and into the wilderness.
EDDIE SAYS
There you go, you're done! The word curiosity ends with the grapheme 'y', and in this word, it sounds like a long E. Curiosity is a noun, it describes the girls need to go and explore what might be beyond the gate in the wilderness.
---- OR ----

Sign up for a £1 trial so you can track and measure your child's progress on this activity.

What is EdPlace?

We're your National Curriculum aligned online education content provider helping each child succeed in English, maths and science from year 1 to GCSE. With an EdPlace account you’ll be able to track and measure progress, helping each child achieve their best. We build confidence and attainment by personalising each child’s learning at a level that suits them.

Get started
laptop

Start your £1 trial today.
Subscribe from £10/month.