The smart way to improve grades

Comprehensive & curriculum aligned

Affordable pricing from £10/month

Understand Qualifying Connectives

In this worksheet, students practise identifying and using connectives that are used to qualify information.

'Understand Qualifying Connectives' worksheet

Key stage:  KS 2

Curriculum topic:  Writing: Composition

Curriculum subtopic:  Build Paragraph Cohesion

Difficulty level:  

down

Worksheet Overview

QUESTION 1 of 10

Connectives are used to make links between and within sentences, and they help writing to flow.

chains linked together

In the following sentences, one event depends on another. They contain a qualifying connective. Qualifying connectives help to explain why something may change because of something else.

We will have a barbeque provided it doesn't rain.

If you work hard we will go out to play early.

All the connectives in the list are conjunctions, which means that they are used to join two clauses within the same sentence.

provided

as long as

if

unless

Identify the qualifying conjunction in the following sentence and write it in the answer box.

As long as Peter gets here soon, we will go swimming.

Identify the qualifying conjunction in the following sentence and write it in the answer box.

You can have some pudding provided you eat up your vegetables.

I will send you both to bed if you don't stop arguing!

We won't be able to get to school unless it stops snowing.

Which word in the list is not a qualifying conjunction?

provided

if

because

unless

as long as

whenever

provided

if

Which of the words in the list can be used to complete the following sentence? Tick one box.

I can't help you __________ you stop crying and tell me what's wrong.

if

unless

provided

because

Which of the words in the list can be used to complete the following sentence? Tick one box.

__________ we can find somewhere to stop the car, we will have a coffee break soon.

Whereas

Unless

Provided

Even though

I will be happy __________ I have my puppy Holly with me.

likewise

therefore

otherwise

as long as

__________ you don't listen carefully, you won't be allowed on the equipment.

As long as

If

Unless

Provided

• Question 1

As long as Peter gets here soon, we will go swimming.

CORRECT ANSWER
as long as
EDDIE SAYS
The trick here is to remember that you are looking for the word or words that justify what might happen, if something happens. So an event will happen as long as something else happens. In the question they will go swimming 'as long as' Peter gets there soon. The words 'as long as' link the two parts of the sentence together, they depend on each other.
  • Question 2

You can have some pudding provided you eat up your vegetables.

CORRECT ANSWER
provided
EDDIE SAYS
Did you get it? The word 'provided', shows that the subject of the sentence will only get pudding, if they eat their vegetables. Provided is the connective that links the idea of getting pudding with the event of eating vegetables.
  • Question 3

I will send you both to bed if you don't stop arguing!

CORRECT ANSWER
if
EDDIE SAYS
Keep up the great effort! 'If' is a common qualifying connective. It is the word that highlights whatever the subject of the sentence depends on. Try to think what is the key word in that sentences that links the two events.
  • Question 4

We won't be able to get to school unless it stops snowing.

CORRECT ANSWER
unless
EDDIE SAYS
You getting the hang of this now? The word 'unless' is the qualifying connective because it links the idea of being able to go to school when it stops snowing.
  • Question 5

CORRECT ANSWER
because
EDDIE SAYS
Did you get it superstar? Great effort! 'Because' is not a qualifying connective as it gives reason for something happening. It does not link events together that depend on each other.
  • Question 6

CORRECT ANSWER
whenever
EDDIE SAYS
Fabulous effort! Did you identify the correct one? 'Whenever' can not be a qualifying connective because we can't use it in a sentence that is dependent. For example 'We go to school whenever it snows.' This is a statement, whenever in this sentence shows that the event happens regardless of anything else. If you change 'whenever' for 'unless' the action in the sentence then becomes dependent on the event. 'We go to school unless it snows.'
  • Question 7

I can't help you __________ you stop crying and tell me what's wrong.

CORRECT ANSWER
unless
EDDIE SAYS
It helps to read the sentence out loud and use each option in the blank space. Which one sounds right? You can tell which ones do not make sense if you imagine you are saying the sentence yourself. Only 'unless' makes sense in this example. It also connects the two events together making the first, the subject getting help, dependent on the event ,the subject stopping crying.
  • Question 8

__________ we can find somewhere to stop the car, we will have a coffee break soon.

CORRECT ANSWER
Provided
EDDIE SAYS
Again here you need to read it aloud. Don't worry about sounding silly, just keep saying to it yourself and use each example in the blank space. Which one sounds right? You can do this! 'Provided' is the only one that sounds right when we say it. Keep it up your nearly there.
  • Question 9

I will be happy __________ I have my puppy Holly with me.

CORRECT ANSWER
as long as
EDDIE SAYS
You got this now! Did you say it to yourself to help? 'As long as' makes the most sense in this sentence. It shows that the subject of the sentence will only be happy when they have their puppy.
  • Question 10

__________ you don't listen carefully, you won't be allowed on the equipment.

CORRECT ANSWER
If
EDDIE SAYS
Hope you remembered! 'If' is the most common qualifying connective. It shows that something depends on another event. Whenever your stuck and not sure which one makes sense, remember just say it aloud and think about which one sounds right.
---- OR ----

Sign up for a £1 trial so you can track and measure your child's progress on this activity.

What is EdPlace?

We're your National Curriculum aligned online education content provider helping each child succeed in English, maths and science from year 1 to GCSE. With an EdPlace account you’ll be able to track and measure progress, helping each child achieve their best. We build confidence and attainment by personalising each child’s learning at a level that suits them.

Start your £1 trial

Start your trial for £1