The smart way to improve grades

Comprehensive & curriculum aligned

Affordable pricing from £10/month

Understand Qualifying Connectives

In this worksheet, students practise identifying and using connectives that are used to qualify information.

'Understand Qualifying Connectives' worksheet

Key stage:  KS 2

Curriculum topic:  Writing: Composition

Curriculum subtopic:  Build Paragraph Cohesion

Difficulty level:  

down

Worksheet Overview

QUESTION 1 of 10

Connectives are used to make links between and within sentences, and they help writing to flow.

In the following sentences, one event depends on another. They are called conditional sentences and the connectives used are often referred to as qualifying connectives.

We will have a barbeque provided it doesn't rain.

If you work hard we will go out to play early.

All the connectives in the list are conjunctions, which means that they are used to join two clauses within the same sentence.

provided

as long as

if

unless

Identify the qualifying conjunction in the following sentence and write it in the answer box.

As long as Peter gets here soon, we will go swimming.

Identify the qualifying conjunction in the following sentence and write it in the answer box.

You can have some pudding provided you eat up your vegetables.

I will send you both to bed if you don't stop arguing!

We won't be able to get to school unless it stops snowing.

Which word in the list is not a qualifying conjunction?

provided

if

because

unless

as long as

whenever

provided

if

Which of the words in the list can be used to complete the following sentence? Tick one box.

I can't help you __________ you stop crying and tell me what's wrong.

if

unless

provided

because

Which of the words in the list can be used to complete the following sentence? Tick one box.

__________ we can find somewhere to stop the car, we will have a coffee break soon.

Whereas

Unless

Provided

Even though

I will be happy __________ I have my puppy Holly with me.

likewise

therefore

otherwise

as long as

__________ you don't listen carefully, you won't be allowed on the equipment.

As long as

If

Unless

Provided

• Question 1

As long as Peter gets here soon, we will go swimming.

CORRECT ANSWER
as long as
  • Question 2

You can have some pudding provided you eat up your vegetables.

CORRECT ANSWER
provided
  • Question 3

I will send you both to bed if you don't stop arguing!

CORRECT ANSWER
if
  • Question 4

We won't be able to get to school unless it stops snowing.

CORRECT ANSWER
unless
  • Question 5

CORRECT ANSWER
because
  • Question 6

CORRECT ANSWER
whenever
  • Question 7

I can't help you __________ you stop crying and tell me what's wrong.

CORRECT ANSWER
unless
  • Question 8

__________ we can find somewhere to stop the car, we will have a coffee break soon.

CORRECT ANSWER
Provided
  • Question 9

I will be happy __________ I have my puppy Holly with me.

CORRECT ANSWER
as long as
  • Question 10

__________ you don't listen carefully, you won't be allowed on the equipment.

CORRECT ANSWER
If
---- OR ----

Sign up for a £1 trial so you can track and measure your child's progress on this activity.

What is EdPlace?

We're your National Curriculum aligned online education content provider helping each child succeed in English, maths and science from year 1 to GCSE. With an EdPlace account you’ll be able to track and measure progress, helping each child achieve their best. We build confidence and attainment by personalising each child’s learning at a level that suits them.

Start your £1 trial

Start your trial for £1