The smart way to improve grades

Comprehensive & curriculum aligned

Affordable pricing from £10/month

Understanding Different Timetables using the 12-hour format

In this worksheet, students will be introduced to the concept of reading a variety of timetables. This activity will ask them to answer using the 12-hour format.

'Understanding Different Timetables using the 12-hour format' worksheet

Key stage:  KS 2

Curriculum topic:   Exam-style Questions: SATs Maths

Curriculum subtopic:   Exam-Style Questions: Reading Timetables

Difficulty level:  

Worksheet Overview

QUESTION 1 of 10

Great job, you have decided to spend some time practising for the SATs Maths test.

This activity will help you to learn how to read timetables using the 12-hour format.

What is the 12-hour format?

The 12-hour clock runs from 1am to 12 noon and then from 1pm to midnight.

The timetable below, which shows when The Tower of London is open uses the 12-hour format.

Opening Times for the Tower of London

Example

Use the timetable to answer this question:

How long is the Tower of London open for on Tuesdays?

Count on from 10 am to 7:30 pm. A number line like this can help you to make jumps.

Answer = Add together the total number of hours counted on.

Answer = 9 hours and 30 minutes

Over to you now to have a go at answering some practice questions!

How many hours is the Tower of London open on a Sunday?

london bridge

5 hours 30mins

5 hours

4 hours 30 mins

6 hours

If I arrive at the Tower of London at 5:00pm on a Saturday, how long have I got before it closes?

london bridge

5 hours 30mins

5 hours

4 hours 30 mins

6 hours

If I get the train to London on a Sunday and I arrive at 9:30 am, how long have I got to wait until the Tower opens?

london bridge

1 hour 10 mins

1 hour 30 mins

2 hours

1 hour 20 mins

Which day of the week is the Tower of London open for the shortest length of time?

Which day of the week is the Tower of London open for the longest length of time?

Here is a train timetable.

Read down the columns vertically to find the time a train arrives or leaves.

Read along the rows horizontally to find out information about a train that leaves from a specific station.

How long does the 10:30 train from Stratford upon Avon take to travel to Spring Road?

train

1 hour 10 mins

30 mins

1 hour

2 hours

If I catch the 11:15 train from Stratford upon Avon, how many stops are there before I reach Birmingham Moor Street?

Itrain

How many trains leave Spring Road between 11:00am and 1:00pm?

Itrain

If I catch the 11:30 from Wilmcote, how long will it take to get into Birmingham Moor Street?

Itrain

Which train is fastest to get from Stratford upon Avon to Birmingham Moor Street?

Itrain

10:30

11:15

11:45

• Question 1

How many hours is the Tower of London open on a Sunday?

london bridge

CORRECT ANSWER
5 hours 30mins
EDDIE SAYS
How did you do on this first question? Great work if you chose 5 hours and 30 mins. Remember, using a number line to help you count on using hours and minutes can be really useful for this type of question.
  • Question 2

If I arrive at the Tower of London at 5:00pm on a Saturday, how long have I got before it closes?

london bridge

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
Nice job if you wrote 4 hours. To crack this one, you had to count on from 5:00 pm to 9:00 pm to find how many hours the Tower would still be open for. This is a great start- keep it up!
  • Question 3

If I get the train to London on a Sunday and I arrive at 9:30 am, how long have I got to wait until the Tower opens?

london bridge

CORRECT ANSWER
1 hour 30 mins
EDDIE SAYS
Don't worry if you found this difficult, you had to add on 30 minutes from 9:30 to reach the next hour of 10:00 am and then add on another hour to reach 11:00 am. In total, there is 1 hour and 30 minutes to wait. Remember to draw a number line if you are finding it tricky to add on mentally.
  • Question 4

Which day of the week is the Tower of London open for the shortest length of time?

CORRECT ANSWER
Sunday
EDDIE SAYS
Great job if you wrote Sunday! When you compare the opening times for the Tower of London, you can see that it is only open for 5 hours and 30 mins on a Sunday.
  • Question 5

Which day of the week is the Tower of London open for the longest length of time?

CORRECT ANSWER
Saturday
EDDIE SAYS
Did you spot that the Tower of London is open for the longest on Saturday? It opens earlier at 8:30 am and closes later at 9:00 pm. You are halfway through this activity, keep up the hard work!
  • Question 6

Read down the columns vertically to find the time a train arrives or leaves.

Read along the rows horizontally to find out information about a train that leaves from a specific station.

How long does the 10:30 train from Stratford upon Avon take to travel to Spring Road?

train

CORRECT ANSWER
1 hour
EDDIE SAYS
That's a good start reading from a train timetable. It takes 1 hour to travel from Stratford upon Avon to Spring Road. We can see that after the train leaves Stratford upon Avon, it stops at Wilmcote at 10:45 and then Spring Road at 11:30, meaning it has taken an hour to get there.
  • Question 7

If I catch the 11:15 train from Stratford upon Avon, how many stops are there before I reach Birmingham Moor Street?

Itrain

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
Did you read the timetable carefully? The 11:15 train from Stratford Upon Avon only stops once at Wilmcote before it reaches Birmingham Moor Street, it misses out Spring Road. Keep up the good effort, you are really making progress!
  • Question 8

How many trains leave Spring Road between 11:00am and 1:00pm?

Itrain

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
Don't worry if you found that tricky! You had to read across the row horizontally from Spring Road to see that only 2 trains leave between 11:00 am and 1:00 pm. The first leaves at 11:30 am and the second leaves at 12:45 pm. Guess what...you've only got 2 questions left!
  • Question 9

If I catch the 11:30 from Wilmcote, how long will it take to get into Birmingham Moor Street?

Itrain

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
Phew, that was a challenge! It takes 35 minutes to travel from Wilmcote to Birmingham Moor Street. Remember to draw a number line to help you; on the number line, your first jump could be 30 minutes to 12:00 and then the second jump could be 5 minutes up to 12:05 pm. This gives a total journey of 35 minutes.
  • Question 10

Which train is fastest to get from Stratford upon Avon to Birmingham Moor Street?

Itrain

CORRECT ANSWER
11:15
EDDIE SAYS
Did you manage to spot that it is the 11:15? The 11:15 train is the quickest to Birmingham Moor Street and only takes 50 minutes. It is the quickest train because it misses out the Spring Road station. Great focus, that's another activity completed! You are now more prepared for the SATs reasoning tests.
Try it for free ---- OR ----

Sign up for a £1 trial so you can track and measure your child's progress on this activity.

What is EdPlace?

We're your National Curriculum aligned online education content provider helping each child succeed in English, maths and science from year 1 to GCSE. With an EdPlace account you’ll be able to track and measure progress, helping each child achieve their best. We build confidence and attainment by personalising each child’s learning at a level that suits them.

Get started
laptop

Start your £1 trial today.
Subscribe from £10/month.