The smart way to improve grades

Comprehensive & curriculum aligned

Affordable pricing from £10/month

Understanding Different Timetables using the 12-hour and 24-hour format

In this worksheet, students will continue practice how to read a variety of timetables. This activity will ask them to answer using the 12-hour and 24-hour format.

'Understanding Different Timetables using the 12-hour and 24-hour format' worksheet

Key stage:  KS 2

Curriculum topic:   Exam-style Questions: SATs Maths

Curriculum subtopic:   Exam-Style Questions: Reading Timetables

Difficulty level:  

Worksheet Overview

QUESTION 1 of 10

Great job, you have decided to spend some time practising for the KS2 SATs Maths test.

This activity will help you to learn how to read timetables using the 12-hour and 24-hour format.

What is the 12-hour format?

The 12-hour clock runs from 1am to 12 noon and then from 1pm to midnight.

What is the 24-hour format?

The 24-hour clock uses the format 00:00 to 23:59. Remember that midnight is 00:00

12-hour clock 24-hour clock
1am 01.00
2am 02.00
3am 03.00
4am 04.00
5am 05.00
6am 06.00
7am 07.00
8am 08.00
9am 09.00
10am 10.00
11am 11.00
12 noon 12.00
1pm 13.00
2pm 14.00
3pm 15.00
4pm 16.00
5pm 17.00
6pm 18.00
7pm 19.00
8pm 20.00
9pm 21.00
10pm 22.00
11pm 23.00
12 midnight 24.00

How long does the first train from York take to get to Leeds City?

Use a number line to help you make small jumps to find the answer:

If you look at the number line, we jump 2 hours, and then a further 5 minutes to reach the arrival time of 12:10pm.

This means the journey takes a total of 2 hours and 5 minutes.

Over to you now to have a go at answering some practice questions!

How much later does the second train from York leave than the first train?

train

If I catch the 12:30 train from Poppleton, how many stops are there to pass through before I will reach Leeds City?

train

How many trains pass through Poppleton between 11:30 and 13:00?

train

I arrive at Harrogate at 11:30, I want to catch the next train to Leeds City, how long will I have to wait?

train

I want to be in Leeds City by 13:20, what is the latest train I can catch from York?

train

10:40

12:30

10:05

11:15

Here is a TV timetable.

What time does Casualty start?

Here is a television timetable.

What time does Popstar to Opera Star end?

Here is a TV timetable.

At the end of Dr Who, I switch channels to ITV, which show is on?

Britain's Got Talent Results

Popstar to Opera Star

Britain's Got Talent

News and Weather

Here is a TV timetable.

What time does Britain's Got Talent Results end? 

Here is a TV timetable.

Which is the longest show listed on ITV?

Britain's Got Talent Results

Britain's Got Talent

News and Weather

Popstar to Opera Star

• Question 1

How much later does the second train from York leave than the first train?

train

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
Did you get the hang of this first question? Great work if you realised it left 35 minutes than the first train. Remember, using a number line to help you count on using hours and minutes can be really useful for this type of question.
  • Question 2

If I catch the 12:30 train from Poppleton, how many stops are there to pass through before I will reach Leeds City?

train

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
Great job if you wrote 2. To crack this one, you had to find the 12:30 train from Poppleton on the timetable and then count vertically down the stops until you reached Leeds City. You've made a good start- keep it up!
  • Question 3

How many trains pass through Poppleton between 11:30 and 13:00?

train

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
Don't worry if you found this difficult, you had to find Poppleton and work across horizontally to find the number of trains that pass through this station between 11:30 and 13:00. This task uses the 24-hour format, remember that 13:00 is the same as 1:00pm.
  • Question 4

I arrive at Harrogate at 11:30, I want to catch the next train to Leeds City, how long will I have to wait?

train

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
Brilliant work if you worked out that it is 10 minutes. After arriving at 11:30, the next train to leave for Leeds is at 11:40. Only a short wait of 10 minutes! When you are asked to look for a train leaving from a specific station, remember to read across the time table, horizontally. Remember...always take your 'time' reading timetables...do you see what I did there?!?!
  • Question 5

I want to be in Leeds City by 13:20, what is the latest train I can catch from York?

train

CORRECT ANSWER
11:15
EDDIE SAYS
Did you spot that the latest train is the 11:15 from York? This train gets in at 13:10, leaving 10 minutes before 13:20. You are halfway through this activity, keep up the hard work!
  • Question 6

Here is a TV timetable.

What time does Casualty start?

CORRECT ANSWER
19:40
EDDIE SAYS
That's a good start reading from a TV timetable. Casualty starts at 19:40. When reading from a timetable like this, take extra care to make sure you are reading the time from the correct channel! The time is first on the left and then the TV show is next to it. For example, Britain's Got Talent starts at 18:45 and is on ITV.
  • Question 7

Here is a television timetable.

What time does Popstar to Opera Star end?

CORRECT ANSWER
20:45
EDDIE SAYS
Did you read the timetable carefully? Popstar to Opera Star ends at 20:45. We know this because the next show, Britain's Got Talent Results starts at 20:45. Keep up the good effort, you are really making progress!
  • Question 8

Here is a TV timetable.

At the end of Dr Who, I switch channels to ITV, which show is on?

CORRECT ANSWER
Britain's Got Talent
EDDIE SAYS
You're making great progress! The timetable tells us that Dr. Who finishes at 19:40 so if we switch channels then, Britain's Got Talent will be on ITV as that does not finish until 20:00. 19:40 is the same as saying 7:40 pm and 20:00 is the same as saying 8:00pm. Guess what...you've only got 2 questions left! Keep up the effort!
  • Question 9

Here is a TV timetable.

What time does Britain's Got Talent Results end? 

CORRECT ANSWER
21:05
EDDIE SAYS
Phew, that was a challenge! Firstly, you had to find which channel Britain's Got Talent Results is on (ITV) and then look for the start time, which is 20:45. Then move vertically down the timetable to the time that the next show starts, which is 21:05, the News and Weather. The more you practice reading different timetables, the easier it gets!
  • Question 10

Here is a TV timetable.

Which is the longest show listed on ITV?

CORRECT ANSWER
Britain's Got Talent
EDDIE SAYS
Did you manage to spot that it is Britain's Got Talent? To answer this one correctly, you did have to compare the length of each show by reading the times in a 24-hour format. Britain's Got Talent is the longest show, running for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Fantastic effort- that's another activity ticked off! You are one step closer to being ready for the SATs reasoning test.
Try it for free ---- OR ----

Sign up for a £1 trial so you can track and measure your child's progress on this activity.

What is EdPlace?

We're your National Curriculum aligned online education content provider helping each child succeed in English, maths and science from year 1 to GCSE. With an EdPlace account you’ll be able to track and measure progress, helping each child achieve their best. We build confidence and attainment by personalising each child’s learning at a level that suits them.

Get started
laptop

Start your £1 trial today.
Subscribe from £10/month.