The smart way to improve grades

Comprehensive & curriculum aligned

Affordable pricing from £10/month

Understanding Different Timetables using the 12-hour and 24-hour format (2)

In this worksheet, students will continue to practice how to read a variety of timetables. This activity will ask them to answer using the 12-hour and 24-hour format. Students will also be asked to convert between the 12-hour and 24-hour format.

'Understanding Different Timetables using the 12-hour and 24-hour format (2)' worksheet

Key stage:  KS 2

Curriculum topic:   Exam-style Questions: SATs Maths

Curriculum subtopic:   Exam-Style Questions: Reading Timetables

Difficulty level:  

Worksheet Overview

QUESTION 1 of 10

Great job, you have decided to spend some time practicing for the KS2 SATs Maths test.

This activity will help you to learn how to read timetables using the 12-hour and 24-hour format.

You will also be asked to convert between the 12 and 24-hour clock format.

What is the 12-hour format?

The 12-hour clock runs from 1am to 12 noon and then from 1pm to midnight.

What is the 24-hour format?

The 24-hour clock uses the format 00:00 to 23:59. Remember that midnight is 00:00

12-hour clock 24-hour clock
1am 01.00
2am 02.00
3am 03.00
4am 04.00
5am 05.00
6am 06.00
7am 07.00
8am 08.00
9am 09.00
10am 10.00
11am 11.00
12 noon 12.00
1pm 13.00
2pm 14.00
3pm 15.00
4pm 16.00
5pm 17.00
6pm 18.00
7pm 19.00
8pm 20.00
9pm 21.00
10pm 22.00
11pm 23.00
12 midnight 24.00

If I get on the first bus from Ewood, what time will I get to Darwen cemetery? Give the answer in the 12-hour format.

Answer:

Step 1: Look for the first bus available from Ewood...07:35

Step 2: Travel vertically down the timetable until you reach Darwen cemetery, the bus arrives there at 08:22

Step 3: Convert from 24-hour digital time to 12-hour clock = 8:22am

Over to you now to have a go at answering some practice questions!

Here is part of a bus timetable.

If I want to arrive at Egerton by 9:30, what is the latest bus I can catch from Blackburn?

How long does it take the 08:55 to travel from Earcroft to Darwen cemetery?

Here is part of a bus timetable

If I catch the 07:55 from Ewood, what time will I arrive at Darwen Jacks Key Drive?

Give your answer in the 12-hour format.

I get to Darwen bus station at 08:55, what is the first bus I can catch to Egerton?

At how many bus stops does the 08:30 from Blackburn stop before it reaches Egerton?

This is part of a bus timetable, shown in the 24-hour format.

What time is the first bus from Darwen Jacks Key Drive?

Here is part of a bus timetable, written using the 24-hour format.

If I catch the 14:35 bus from Ewood, what time will I arrive in Darwen cemetery?

Here is part of a bus timetable using the 24-hour format.

If I catch the 14:24 from Darwen bus station, what time will I arrive in Egerton?

Write your answer using the 12-hour format.

Here is part of a bus timetable, using the 24-hour format.

If I catch the 14:30 from Blackburn, how long will it take me to get to Darwen bus station?

If I catch the 15:04 bus from Darwen bus station to Egerton and it then takes me 20 minutes to walk home, what time will I get home?

• Question 1

If I want to arrive at Egerton by 9:30, what is the latest bus I can catch from Blackburn?

CORRECT ANSWER
7:30
EDDIE SAYS
How did you get on with this first question? Great work if you realised that the 07:30 was the latest bus that can be caught to get in before 9:30. The 07:30 gets in at 09:20, leaving 10 minutes spare. Make sure you read the question at least twice, the word 'latest' was very important in this one!
  • Question 2

How long does it take the 08:55 to travel from Earcroft to Darwen cemetery?

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
Nice job if you wrote 27 minutes. There are different ways to work this one out. You may have been able to count up from 08:55...add 5 minutes to reach 09:00 and then add 22 minutes to reach 09:22. Finally, add together 5 + 22 = 27 minutes in total. If you find this sort of mental method tricky, you can draw a number line to help you calculate the jumps. You've made a good start- keep it up!
  • Question 3

If I catch the 07:55 from Ewood, what time will I arrive at Darwen Jacks Key Drive?

Give your answer in the 12-hour format.

CORRECT ANSWER
8:59am
EDDIE SAYS
Don't worry if you found this difficult! Start by looking at the 08:55 from Ewood then travel vertically down the timetable with your finger until you reach Darwen Jacks Key Drive. You will see you arrive there at 08:59. Did you then complete the question by converting to the 12-hour format which is 8:59 am? We use 'am' as this bus timetable is only showing buses that travel in the morning. You are making great progress- keep trying and your confidence will continue to grow!
  • Question 4

I get to Darwen bus station at 08:55, what is the first bus I can catch to Egerton?

CORRECT ANSWER
09:04
EDDIE SAYS
Brilliant work if you worked out that it is the 09:04 bus. When arriving at 08:55, the next bus is the 09:04 to Egerton, meaning only a short wait of 9 minutes! If we convert 09:04 to the 12-hour clock, it becomes 9:04am.
  • Question 5

At how many bus stops does the 08:30 from Blackburn stop before it reaches Egerton?

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
Did you spot that the 08:30 from Blackburn stops at 3 bus stops before it reaches Egerton? Make sure you count carefully by moving down the timetable vertically from the 08:30 bus. You will see it doesn't actually stop at Earcroft or Darwen cemetery bus stops. You are halfway through this activity, keep up the hard work!
  • Question 6

This is part of a bus timetable, shown in the 24-hour format.

What time is the first bus from Darwen Jacks Key Drive?

CORRECT ANSWER
14:59
EDDIE SAYS
Did you see that the first bus to leave Darwen Jacks Key Drive is the 14:59? Did you also spot that although the names of the stations on the timetable have remained the same, the times have now moved to the afternoon? If these times were written using the 12-hour format, each would be represented using pm.
  • Question 7

Here is part of a bus timetable, written using the 24-hour format.

If I catch the 14:35 bus from Ewood, what time will I arrive in Darwen cemetery?

CORRECT ANSWER
15:22
EDDIE SAYS
Did you read the timetable carefully? The 14:35 from Ewood arrives into Darwen cemetery at 15:22. 15:22 is the same as writing 3:22 pm. Keep up your effort...you only have 3 questions left...' time' flies when you're having fun!
  • Question 8

If I catch the 14:24 from Darwen bus station, what time will I arrive in Egerton?

Write your answer using the 12-hour format.

CORRECT ANSWER
3:20pm
EDDIE SAYS
Don't worry if you found that one tricky, it is meant to be a challenge! Hopefully, you found that the 14:24 from Darwen bus station arrived into Egerton at 15:20, you then had to convert this to the 12-hour format to gain the mark. Remember the 12-hour format uses am or pm, we know 15:20 is after midday so it converts to 3:20 pm.
  • Question 9

Here is part of a bus timetable, using the 24-hour format.

If I catch the 14:30 from Blackburn, how long will it take me to get to Darwen bus station?

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
Phew, that was a challenge! Did you notice that the 14:30 from Blackburn arrives at Darwen bus station at 15:24? The easiest way to work out the length of this journey is to first add an hour to reach 15:30 as we can see the arrival time is very close to 15:24. Then subtract 6 minutes from 15:30 to reach 15:24. We originally added on 60 minutes, now subtract 6 minutes from this to give us a journey length of 54 minutes. The more you practice reading different timetables, the easier it gets!
  • Question 10

If I catch the 15:04 bus from Darwen bus station to Egerton and it then takes me 20 minutes to walk home, what time will I get home?

CORRECT ANSWER
16:20
EDDIE SAYS
Did you get the hang of it? I would get home at 16:20. The bus arrives into Egerton at 16:00, I then have to add the 20-minute walk on to reach an arrival time of 16:20. Great job- that's another activity ticked off! How about attempting another activity so you feel super confident?
Try it for free ---- OR ----

Sign up for a £1 trial so you can track and measure your child's progress on this activity.

What is EdPlace?

We're your National Curriculum aligned online education content provider helping each child succeed in English, maths and science from year 1 to GCSE. With an EdPlace account you’ll be able to track and measure progress, helping each child achieve their best. We build confidence and attainment by personalising each child’s learning at a level that suits them.

Get started
laptop

Start your £1 trial today.
Subscribe from £10/month.