Loading please wait

The smart way to improve grades

Comprehensive & curriculum aligned

Try an activity or get started for free

Understand the Features of Stories and of Recount Texts

In this worksheet, students will explore the features of recount writing and answer questions about fiction texts.

' Understand the Features of Stories and of Recount Texts' worksheet

Key stage:  KS 2

Year:  Year 3 English worksheets

Curriculum topic:   Reading: Comprehension

Curriculum subtopic:   Check Understanding of Text

Difficulty level:  

Worksheet Overview

The word fiction describes books and texts that have been made up by the author. It includes stories and poems. 

Cinderella is a work of fiction.

Non-fiction describes books and texts that contain real information and facts. Dictionaries, instructions and recounts are all non-fiction.

a dictionary

Recounts

A recount tells us about an event that has already happened.

This event is in the past so a recount is written in the past tense.

If I visited the biggest water park in England, I’d want to tell my friends all about it.

Here are the features of recounts that I would need to use:

- Use first person pronouns ‘I’, ‘my’ and ‘me’ because I was there for the event.

- Write in the past tense as it has already happened

- Write in chronological (time) order

- Use adverbs of time like firstly, next and finally

happy girl dancing

Here is my recount:

Best day ever!

Yesterday was the best day of my life. My dad took me to the biggest water park in England.

Dad woke me up early so I was a bit grumpy on the drive there. When we arrived, I saw the big, bright slides and I forgot about being grumpy. I went on the rapids first. They were so much fun and the water threw my body all over the place. I kept bashing into other people and it was so funny. Then I went on the drop slide. I was a little bit scared at the top but I went for it and it was amazing. We went in the wave pool at the end and I loved jumping up and down with the waves. I want to go back again next year.

boy on slide

This recount uses the first person pronouns I, me and my. How many times can you spot each pronoun?

It is also written in chronological (time) order with adverbs like firstly and finally to show us when things happened.

The recount uses past tense words like woke instead of wake and went instead of go.

In this activity, we will be reading a fiction text and a non-fiction text that is in the form of a recount. We will then answer questions about what we have read.

Make sure you read each text carefully.

boy with magnifying glass

What is EdPlace?

We're your National Curriculum aligned online education content provider helping each child succeed in English, maths and science from year 1 to GCSE. With an EdPlace account you’ll be able to track and measure progress, helping each child achieve their best. We build confidence and attainment by personalising each child’s learning at a level that suits them.

Get started
laptop

Try an activity or get started for free

• National Tutoring Awards 2023 Shortlisted / Parents
    National Tutoring Awards 2023 Shortlisted
  • Private-Tutoring-WINNER-EducationInvestor-Awards / Parents
    Winner - Private Tutoring
  • Bett Awards Finalist / Parents
    Finalist
  • Winner - Best for Home Learning / Parents
    Winner - Best for Home Learning / Parents