The smart way to improve grades

Comprehensive & curriculum aligned

Affordable pricing from £10/month

Write a First Person Account

In this worksheet, students write a first person account of an event from a familiar fairy tale.

'Write a First Person Account' worksheet

Key stage:  KS 2

Curriculum topic:  Writing: Vocabulary, Grammar and Punctuation

Curriculum subtopic:  Noun and Pronoun Awareness

Difficulty level:  

down

Worksheet Overview

QUESTION 1 of 10

When you read a story, it is often written in the third person (using he and she, rather than I and we). You probably know the story of Cinderella. Look at this passage from it.

After she had helped her stepsisters get ready for the ball, Cinderella sat down by the fire, exhausted. She watched them leave and then burst into tears of despair.

Suddenly there was a burst of light and a fairy appeared in front of her.

'Don't be alarmed', said the fairy. 'I am your fairy godmother and I have come to tell you that you shall go to the ball.'

This story is written in the third person, but if we imagine we are the character of Cinderella we can write an account of what happened that night in the first person (using I and we).

It might begin something like this:

I spent hours getting those awful girls ready to go to the ball and then I had to watch them leave, showing off in their beautiful gowns. It was all so unfair. I felt so unhappy and exhausted that I just sat down by the fire and cried.

Suddenly there was a flash of light. I was terrified. I hid my eyes for a while, and when I opened them again there was a little old lady in front of me, with silvery wings and a wand in her hand.

In this worksheet, you can practise writing a first person account of a scene from a story that you know well.

Choose a fairy story that you know well and think of an event that takes place in it.

If you can't think of anything you could choose the scene in Little Red Riding Hood where Red Riding Hood goes into her grandmother's cottage and finds the wolf in her bed, or perhaps a different scene from Cinderella, such as when the sisters try on the shoe.

Put yourself in the place of one of the characters and retell what happens, using the first person (I and we). Don't try to retell the whole story, just one of the scenes. If you like you could choose one of the evil characters and write the account from their point of view.

Write your account in the past tense (was not is) and don't forget to write in complete sentences with capital letters and full stops.

• Question 1

Choose a fairy story that you know well and think of an event that takes place in it.

If you can't think of anything you could choose the scene in Little Red Riding Hood where Red Riding Hood goes into her grandmother's cottage and finds the wolf in her bed, or perhaps a different scene from Cinderella, such as when the sisters try on the shoe.

Put yourself in the place of one of the characters and retell what happens, using the first person (I and we). Don't try to retell the whole story, just one of the scenes. If you like you could choose one of the evil characters and write the account from their point of view.

Write your account in the past tense (was not is) and don't forget to write in complete sentences with capital letters and full stops.

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
Award a maximum of eight marks for the account.
1 and 2) Award two marks if the first person has been used consistently throughout the account. Award one mark if usage is mostly correct.
3) Award one mark if the past tense has been used consistently throughout the account.
4 and 5) Award two marks if sentences are correctly punctuated with capital letters and full stops. Award one mark if they are mostly correct.
6 to 8) Award up to three marks for the overall quality of the account. It should cover one event from the story only and reflect what happens as it would have appeared to the chosen character.
Preview ---- OR ----

Sign up for a £1 trial so you can track and measure your child's progress on this activity.

What is EdPlace?

We're your National Curriculum aligned online education content provider helping each child succeed in English, maths and science from year 1 to GCSE. With an EdPlace account you’ll be able to track and measure progress, helping each child achieve their best. We build confidence and attainment by personalising each child’s learning at a level that suits them.

Start your £1 trial

Start your trial for £1