A recount is a text that retells an event such as a school trip, football match or holiday. Biographies and auto-biographies are also examples of recounts.
Recounts often include the following features.
1) An introductory sentence sets the scene.
On Friday our football team played a match against our main rivals.
2) Events are related in chronological order (the order in which they happened).
3) Recounts are written in the past tense.
4) They can be written in the first or the third person.
5) They often answer these questions: who? what? where? when? how? why?
6) They can include descriptive language and opinions.
7) They often contain sequencing connectives (e.g. first, next, then, finally).
8) They may end with a summary or a comment on the events.
It was the best trip I have ever been on.