Loading please wait

The smart way to improve grades

Comprehensive & curriculum aligned

Try an activity or get started for free

Identify Supporting Statements

In this worksheet, students will develop their comprehension of text and build their skills in locating and identifying evidence to support their understanding.

'Identify Supporting Statements' worksheet

Key stage:  KS 3

Year:  Year 7 English worksheets

Curriculum topic:   Writing

Curriculum subtopic:   Summarise and Organise Materials, Ideas and Arguments

Difficulty level:  

Worksheet Overview

Understanding, or comprehending a text is an important skill in English. 

To fully understand a text, we need to look at the vocabulary, punctuation, sentence types and lots more.

A great way to develop your skills is to look at a text and locate evidence to support your understanding. Evidence can help support your argument or point of view on a topic.

girl with magnifying glass

In this activity, we will read a fictional description and work to build our skills in finding the evidence needed to support a statement. We will also begin to use inference and deduction to work out how some of the vocabulary choices give us more information.

Here is the description.

The old man who lives down the street from us is a real piece of work. I mean, he's like something out of a movie, but not in a good way. He's this super-grumpy, miserable guy who seems to have a permanent frown etched onto his face.

First of all, he's ancient. Seriously, I don't even know how old he is, but he looks like he's been around since the dinosaurs. He's all hunched over and shuffles when he walks, like he's carrying the weight of the world on his shoulders. And he's always dressed in these old, worn-out clothes that probably went out of style before I was even born.

His face is like a roadmap of wrinkles, and he's got this scraggly white beard that makes him look like he's auditioning for the role of Santa Claus in a horror movie. His eyes are like tiny, angry dots, and they seem to glare at anyone who dares to look in his direction.

But it's not just his appearance that's miserable. He's got this aura of gloom around him that's impossible to ignore. Whenever I see him outside, he's either muttering to himself or scowling at something. I've heard he yells at kids who accidentally kick a ball into his garden, like it's a personal affront to his existence.

And forget about trying to have a conversation with him. I once said hello when I saw him getting his post, and he just grunted in response and kept shuffling along like I didn't even exist. It's like he's allergic to any form of human interaction.

Honestly, I feel kind of sorry for him. I can't imagine what kind of life he's had to turn out so bitter and miserable. But at the same time, I don't really want to get too close to him. He's like a living, breathing storm cloud, and I'd rather not get caught in his rain.

an old man

What is EdPlace?

We're your National Curriculum aligned online education content provider helping each child succeed in English, maths and science from year 1 to GCSE. With an EdPlace account you’ll be able to track and measure progress, helping each child achieve their best. We build confidence and attainment by personalising each child’s learning at a level that suits them.

Get started
laptop

Try an activity or get started for free

• National Tutoring Awards 2023 Shortlisted / Parents
    National Tutoring Awards 2023 Shortlisted
  • Private-Tutoring-WINNER-EducationInvestor-Awards / Parents
    Winner - Private Tutoring
  • Bett Awards Finalist / Parents
    Finalist
  • Winner - Best for Home Learning / Parents
    Winner - Best for Home Learning / Parents