Loading please wait

The smart way to improve grades

Comprehensive & curriculum aligned

Try an activity or get started for free

Identify Facts and Opinions in a Letter

In this worksheet, students will read a letter and study how facts and opinions have been used.

'Identify Facts and Opinions in a Letter' worksheet

Key stage:  KS 3

Year:  Year 7 English worksheets

Curriculum topic:   Reading

Curriculum subtopic:   Support Comprehension Through Knowledge

Popular topics:   Year 7 Reading Comprehension worksheets, Reading Comprehension worksheets

Difficulty level:  

Worksheet Overview

When we are reading, it is important that we are able to differentiate between fact and opinion.

A fact is something which can be proved to be true.

An opinion is what someone thinks or believes.

Read this letter to the 'problem page' of a magazine:

worried woman

Dear Diane,

Ever since my daughter went to secondary school she has asked the same question every night. She wants to have a profile on a social media site. All her friends do, it's so unfair, I'm ruining her life.

I remember similar arguments with my own mother; about what I could wear, language I could use, how late I could stay out, etc. I know it is normal. I know it is to be expected. But I cannot shake the belief that these sites are harmful and dangerous. At 12, she is still my baby.

My daughter, a sensible girl, has given me the following arguments:

Firstly, it is an easy and free way of keeping in touch with her friends from her new school and those who have gone to different secondary schools from the same primary.

Secondly, that she feels out of touch and behind on the gossip at her new school so she is struggling to fit in.

Thirdly, that if I am concerned, I can have access to view her page and so 'keep an eye' (spy) on her. She is not keen on this but has reluctantly agreed to it.

I can see her point of view. However, I believe that it is a distraction from homework; these sites are addictive. Also, although keeping in touch with people is a good thing, it is a superficial way of doing so, it is much better to speak on the phone or meet up regularly. There is a lot of talk about bullying at her new school. I worry that she might get caught up in all of that teenage girl nastiness which was there when I was at school and is still around today.

It is not that I don't trust her, it is the other people whom I cannot trust. Please help me to decide the right thing!

Yours sincerely,

Worried Mum.

Now go through the activity and answer the questions.

If you need to read the letter again, you can do so by clicking on the Help button.

What is EdPlace?

We're your National Curriculum aligned online education content provider helping each child succeed in English, maths and science from year 1 to GCSE. With an EdPlace account you’ll be able to track and measure progress, helping each child achieve their best. We build confidence and attainment by personalising each child’s learning at a level that suits them.

Get started
laptop

Try an activity or get started for free

• National Tutoring Awards 2023 Shortlisted / Parents
    National Tutoring Awards 2023 Shortlisted
  • Private-Tutoring-WINNER-EducationInvestor-Awards / Parents
    Winner - Private Tutoring
  • Bett Awards Finalist / Parents
    Finalist
  • Winner - Best for Home Learning / Parents
    Winner - Best for Home Learning / Parents