The smart way to improve grades

Comprehensive & curriculum aligned

Affordable pricing from £10/month

Reading Fact and Opinion: Problem Page

In this worksheet, students read a letter and study how facts and opinions have been used.

'Reading Fact and Opinion: Problem Page' worksheet

Key stage:  KS 3

Curriculum topic:  Reading

Curriculum subtopic:  Support Comprehension Through Knowledge

Difficulty level:  

Worksheet Overview

QUESTION 1 of 10

When we are reading, it is important that we are able to differentiate between fact and opinion.

Remember: A fact is something which can be proved to be true or false. An opinion is what someone thinks or believes.

Read this letter to the 'problem page' of a magazine:

Dear Diane,

Ever since my daughter went to secondary school she has asked the same question every night. She wants to have a profile on a social media site. All her friends do, it's so unfair, I'm ruining her life.

I remember similar arguments with my own mother; about what I could wear, language I could use, how late I could stay out, etc. I know it is normal. I know it is to be expected. But I cannot shake the belief that these sites are harmful and dangerous. At 12, she is still my baby.

My daughter, a sensible girl, has given me the following arguments:

Firstly, it is an easy and free way of keeping in touch with her friends from her new school and those who have gone to different secondary schools from the same primary.

Secondly, that she feels out of touch and behind on the gossip at her new school so she is struggling to fit in.

Thirdly, that if I am concerned, I can have access to view her page and so 'keep an eye' (spy) on her. She is not keen on this but has reluctantly agreed to it.

I can see her point of view. However, I believe that it is a distraction from homework; these sites are addictive. Also, although keeping in touch with people is a good thing, it is a superficial way of doing so, it is much better to speak on the phone or meet up regularly. There is a lot of talk about bullying at her new school. I worry that she might get caught up in all of that teenage girl nastiness which was there when I was at school and is still around today.

It is not that I don't trust her, it is the other people who I cannot trust. Please help me to decide the right thing!

Yours sincerely,

Worried Mum.

Now go through the worksheet and answer the questions. If you need to read the questions again, you can do so by clicking on the Help button.

The writer starts with:

Ever since my daughter went to secondary school she has asked the same question every night.

Is this a fact or an opinion?

Fact

Opinion

The writer uses rule of three to emphasise her point: "all her friends do, it's so unfair, I am ruining her life."  Is the phrase: "It's so unfair" a fact or an opinion?

The woman who wrote the letter says that social media sites are "harmful and dangerous". Is this a fact or on opinion?

Fact

Opinion

Which TWO facts does the daughter give for why she should be allowed on the sites?

It is an easy and free way of keeping in touch.

The age limit should be lower.

Some of her friends from primary school have gone to different secondary schools.

Her mum just doesn't understand.

The writer gives an opinions about her daughter which suggests that she will eventually let her go on social media sites. Which opinion is it?

still my baby

a sensible girl

cannot trust other people

Is the phrase "These sites are addictive" a fact or an opinion?

By saying that "these sites are addictive", what THREE things is the woman suggesting?

That the daughter won't do her homework.

That she might get obsessed with it.

That the sites are evil.

That it is hard to choose to do the right thing sometimes.

That the mum is addicted to the sites herself.

Read this student's work and fill in the missing word in the text box below:

In the letter, the mum uses both facts and opinions. She does this to prove that she is trustworthy and reliable (by using facts), but also shows that she is human and has her own view (by using ________).

• Question 1

The writer starts with:

Ever since my daughter went to secondary school she has asked the same question every night.

Is this a fact or an opinion?

CORRECT ANSWER
Fact
EDDIE SAYS
It is a fact because it is either true or false.
  • Question 2

The writer uses rule of three to emphasise her point: "all her friends do, it's so unfair, I am ruining her life."  Is the phrase: "It's so unfair" a fact or an opinion?

CORRECT ANSWER
opinion
EDDIE SAYS
"It's so unfair" is an opinion, because the mother feels that she is treating her daughter unfairly, so it is therefore her opinion on the situation.
  • Question 3

The woman who wrote the letter says that social media sites are "harmful and dangerous". Is this a fact or on opinion?

CORRECT ANSWER
Opinion
EDDIE SAYS
Again, this statement shows the woman's thoughts on social media sites, so it is an opinion.
  • Question 4

Which TWO facts does the daughter give for why she should be allowed on the sites?

CORRECT ANSWER
It is an easy and free way of keeping in touch.
Some of her friends from primary school have gone to different secondary schools.
  • Question 5

The writer gives an opinions about her daughter which suggests that she will eventually let her go on social media sites. Which opinion is it?

CORRECT ANSWER
a sensible girl
EDDIE SAYS
By stating that her daughter is a 'sensible girl', this suggests that she thinks her daughter would use the social media site sensibly and might eventually let her create a social media profile.
  • Question 6

Is the phrase "These sites are addictive" a fact or an opinion?

CORRECT ANSWER
opinion
EDDIE SAYS
Again, this is an opinion, as the woman is stating what she thinks about social media sites.
  • Question 7

By saying that "these sites are addictive", what THREE things is the woman suggesting?

CORRECT ANSWER
That the daughter won't do her homework.
That she might get obsessed with it.
That it is hard to choose to do the right thing sometimes.
  • Question 8

Read this student's work and fill in the missing word in the text box below:

In the letter, the mum uses both facts and opinions. She does this to prove that she is trustworthy and reliable (by using facts), but also shows that she is human and has her own view (by using ________).

CORRECT ANSWER
opinions
opinion
---- OR ----

Sign up for a £1 trial so you can track and measure your child's progress on this activity.

What is EdPlace?

We're your National Curriculum aligned online education content provider helping each child succeed in English, maths and science from year 1 to GCSE. With an EdPlace account you’ll be able to track and measure progress, helping each child achieve their best. We build confidence and attainment by personalising each child’s learning at a level that suits them.

Get started
laptop

Start your £1 trial today.
Subscribe from £10/month.