Loading please wait

The smart way to improve grades

Comprehensive & curriculum aligned

Try an activity or get started for free

Use Evidence to Support Statements

In this worksheet, students will deepen their understanding of arguments and viewpoints and begin to develop the skills needed to locate evidence to support these.

'Use Evidence to Support Statements' worksheet

Key stage:  KS 3

Year:  Year 8 English worksheets

Curriculum topic:   Writing

Curriculum subtopic:   Summarise and Organise Materials, Ideas and Arguments

Difficulty level:  

Worksheet Overview

group of teenagers

Understanding an argument or viewpoint is a super-useful skill to develop in English. 

While being able to spot someone's point of view is useful, being able to back this up with evidence is even more useful!

In this activity, you will have the chance to practise and hone these skills. 

You will be looking at a letter sent by a teenager with concerns about their local community. Have a read of it and get ready to answer the questions.

Dear Councillors,

I would like to explain to you why I am concerned about our local area. I’m worried that there aren't many things for teenagers to do in our town. I live here, and I'm a teenager, so this matters a great deal to me.

Lately, it's been clear that there just aren't enough things for teenagers to do. This is a problem because it has negative results:

Not Enough Friends: Teenagers need chances to meet and hang out with other kids their age. When there's not much to do, they might end up feeling lonely and sad.

Bad Choices: If teenagers don't have positive things to do, they might make bad choices and get into trouble or associate with the wrong people.

Learning: Teenagers are at an age where they can learn new things and discover what they're good at. But if there aren't cool things to do, they might miss out on these important chances to learn.

Safety Worries: When there's nothing to do, teenagers might just hang around outside, and that can sometimes lead to problems and make our town less safe.

I think it's super-important for us to fix this issue. Teenagers are the future of our town, and we want them to grow up happy and healthy. So, here's what I suggest we do:

Cool Hangout Spot: We should make a special place just for teenagers. This place could have games, study areas, and activities that teenagers like.

More Fun: We can work with our schools and groups in town to create more fun activities like sports, art, and other interesting things that teenagers enjoy.

Everyone Helps: Let's ask people in our town to help out. They could give their time, share what they know, or give resources to make fun activities happen for teenagers.

Safe Places: We need to make sure our town is safe for teenagers. This means making sure there are places where they can go without any problems.

I know that sometimes there's not a lot of money to make these things happen right away. But I believe that if we work together and plan carefully, we can start making our town a better place for teenagers.

I hope you'll think about these ideas and talk to others about them too. Our town's future depends on how well we take care of our teenagers.

Thank you for listening, and I hope to hear from you soon. Let's work together to make our town awesome for our teenagers!

teenager on a tablet

What is EdPlace?

We're your National Curriculum aligned online education content provider helping each child succeed in English, maths and science from year 1 to GCSE. With an EdPlace account you’ll be able to track and measure progress, helping each child achieve their best. We build confidence and attainment by personalising each child’s learning at a level that suits them.

Get started
laptop

Try an activity or get started for free

• National Tutoring Awards 2023 Shortlisted / Parents
    National Tutoring Awards 2023 Shortlisted
  • Private-Tutoring-WINNER-EducationInvestor-Awards / Parents
    Winner - Private Tutoring
  • Bett Awards Finalist / Parents
    Finalist
  • Winner - Best for Home Learning / Parents
    Winner - Best for Home Learning / Parents